Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 01:15 AM

9 posts, read 10,355 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am Chinese and my husband is Caucasian. We have a toddler and a 4-months old. We live in Seattle, but want to move to San Diego. We like sun.

During a recent visit to SD, we noticed great diversity but minimal interracial couples and interracial kids. We also saw messages about people in San Diego being racist on web forums.

Can someone living in San Diego please give insight on the subject? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 AM

210 posts, read 412,525 times
People in San Diego would care more for an open parking space than care about you and your family's race.

Last edited by rcjhku; 02-17-2013 at 02:32 AM..

Old 02-17-2013, 03:30 AM

444 posts, read 665,852 times
I'm Asian. I've lived all over San Diego County. Some places that are predominantly white. Some places predominantly Hispanic. Some Asian. Some black. A lot of interracial people from what I observed.

No problems encountered here in all my 36 years. Ever.

Good luck on your future move!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 AM

36 posts, read 63,919 times
Most native Southern Californian's by nature are open minded and accommodating. Keep in mind that a lot of residents emigrated from other parts of the country, like the Deep South, and may bring viewpoints that are deeply ingrained. They also come from other parts of the world, where racism is present. Because of this, you may encounter racism no matter what city you live in. Racist attitudes can reside in the minds of all races, not matter the color or creed. That being said, San Diego is one of the most progressive cities where overt racism is not the norm. Many are associated with the military, where various races were integrated decades ago and many married outside of their race. The South County is more integrated than the North County.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,387,349 times
You're not going to have ANY problems with this at all. San Diego is full of interracial couples. The city is very tolerant and a true culture pot. I think that's one of the best things about the city.

Even in affluent areas, you see TONS of interracial couples. Heck, in my immediate neighborhood there is at least 5 interracial couples. And most of them have kids as well.

You're not going to have to worry about this at all so don't stress over this.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:10 PM

30 posts, read 75,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetherain View Post
Hi. I am Chinese and my husband is Caucasian. We have a toddler and a 4-months old. We live in Seattle, but want to move to San Diego. We like sun.

During a recent visit to SD, we noticed great diversity but minimal interracial couples and interracial kids. We also saw messages about people in San Diego being racist on web forums.

I just moved to San Diego about a month ago, and I'm not married or in an interracial relationship - BUT, one of my closest friends in the world has lived out here for about 12 years, and he met and married his wife out here. He is Caucasian and she is Filipino, and they have three adorable interracial children. He has never personally experienced any kind of racial intolerance/racism firsthand in San Diego, and they met shortly after he moved here so they've been together for ~ 12 years.

Also, one of his wife's friends, also Filipino, is married to a Caucasian man here in San Diego and they too have an interracial child. They have not experienced any kind of bigotry either.

And just a personal observation, as I just moved here from Washington DC where interracial couples are very prevalent - I haven't noticed any lack of interracial couples here, that is it doesn't feel like there is much of a difference from back East. And DC is a very multicultural city, mainly because most people move there from somewhere else as we don't have as many natives as other cities.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:54 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,976,265 times
Nobody really cares. At that's the way it should be.

Now, there may be pockets of racism -- I don't know if Santee deserves the name Klantee or not but it's got it -- but I have yet to encounter any racist attitudes.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:30 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,771,072 times
Downtown SD is considered very diverse and integrated but not as much compared to the DC area or LA. It may be less diverse in North and East counties.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:43 PM

35 posts, read 70,272 times
I grew up in San Diego and there is so much culture and interracial relationships. I would probably even say Asian and Caucasian would be the most popular. I'm sure there will be no problem.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,555,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetherain View Post

Many interracial couples are Asian women with Caucasian men, married with kids. Your family is quite common and accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego