Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,976,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Downtown SD is considered very diverse and integrated but not as much compared to the DC area or LA. It may be less diverse in North and East counties.
I'm going to have to disagree on the DC part of it. You may see more black people in DC but there's not as many mixed race couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 06:12 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,771,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I'm going to have to disagree on the DC part of it. You may see more black people in DC but there's not as many mixed race couples.
That's why I said DC area, not DC itself.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
That's why I said DC area, not DC itself.
The comment stands.

You've got lots of black people in DC and in PG County, but you don't have a lot of mixed race couples. The metro area -- or the DMV as the idiots back there trying to sound cool have started to call it -- is pretty self segregated.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
The comment stands.

You've got lots of black people in DC and in PG County, but you don't have a lot of mixed race couples. The metro area -- or the DMV as the idiots back there trying to sound cool have started to call it -- is pretty self segregated.
PG and DC, sure. Though when I moved to SoCal, I never thought racism really existed there because of the large amounts of diversity. Though as soon as I was getting along with my co-workers, I knew for them it wasn't always the case.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 AM

41 posts, read 63,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetherain View Post
Hi. I am Chinese and my husband is Caucasian. We have a toddler and a 4-months old. We live in Seattle, but want to move to San Diego. We like sun.

During a recent visit to SD, we noticed great diversity but minimal interracial couples and interracial kids. We also saw messages about people in San Diego being racist on web forums.

Can someone living in San Diego please give insight on the subject? Thank you!
Not a current resident of San Diego but did reside there 20+ years, including a portion of time in East County >>> never had an issue [Asian female/Caucasian male].

Best Wishes if you decide to move.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,388,798 times
Quote:
Though when I moved to SoCal, I never thought racism really existed there because of the large amounts of diversity. Though as soon as I was getting along with my co-workers, I knew for them it wasn't always the case.
Well, I'm sure there are ignorant people in every major city around the world. However, I also think you can't assume just because you didn't get along with your co-workers it was because they had some racist attitude.

I've met some people (typically friends of friends) that annoy the heck out of me and I don't care to be around them. It has NOTHING to do with the color of their skin or their race. It just boils down to the fact they are a jerk. LOL.

I'm not saying that is the case with you. But I do think people need to take that into account as well that not everyone will agree with everyone's personality. So you have to be careful to distinguish that vs. being a racist.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Well, I'm sure there are ignorant people in every major city around the world. However, I also think you can't assume just because you didn't get along with your co-workers it was because they had some racist attitude.

I've met some people (typically friends of friends) that annoy the heck out of me and I don't care to be around them. It has NOTHING to do with the color of their skin or their race. It just boils down to the fact they are a jerk. LOL.

I'm not saying that is the case with you. But I do think people need to take that into account as well that not everyone will agree with everyone's personality. So you have to be careful to distinguish that vs. being a racist.
Oh I perfectly got along with my co-workers when I lived in SoCal, but I was always told how diverse SoCal was and that race wasn't a problem and some of my hispanic and black co-workers disagreed. I live in the Mid-Atlantic now (and grew up here) and the fact that there was segregation wasn't new to me, but I lived in in a wealthy county in which it wasn't the case for the most part. Again I didn't think there was a race problem in SoCal until I knew my peers better, but I did notice that there were more young professional blacks and hispanics in the DC area than what I've observed in Los Angeles and SD.

Last edited by e30is; 02-18-2013 at 09:02 AM..

Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 AM

23,563 posts, read 24,089,586 times
Southern California and Northern California are accepting of diversity and interracial couples, (as is Seattle). No worries at all.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
PG and DC, sure. Though when I moved to SoCal, I never thought racism really existed there because of the large amounts of diversity. Though as soon as I was getting along with my co-workers, I knew for them it wasn't always the case.
Come on, man. I grew up there, I lived in Bethesda for 20 years, and for you to deny that DC self segregates is silly.

In Montgomery, it was like Georgia Avenue was the dividing line between the Latino/black area and the white area. And Fairfax is as white as any rural area in Kentucky.

A lot of it is money.

Bottom line is that if you were okay with the situation in DC, you'll be fine here.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:38 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,746,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetherain View Post
Hi. I am Chinese and my husband is Caucasian. We have a toddler and a 4-months old. We live in Seattle, but want to move to San Diego. We like sun.

During a recent visit to SD, we noticed great diversity but minimal interracial couples and interracial kids. We also saw messages about people in San Diego being racist on web forums.

Can someone living in San Diego please give insight on the subject? Thank you!
As far as racism goes, San Diego will be no different than what you experience in Seattle. That is, there is nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego