Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 02:37 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Forced kiss by Filner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:37 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Problem is, issues like this are almost inevitably he-said/she-said. There isn't enough evidence for a preponderance either way. I don't know of too many formal harrassment cases that are won by the person filing charges. Overwhelmingly, the alleged miscreant is given some sort of formal chastisement, required training, blah, blah, blah, and the person filing charges is transferred away from working with the miscreant.

It's not a situation anyone wants to be in - not the victim, not the miscreant, not any potential witnesses, and not the lawyers. It's just ugly.

I'm a woman who's had a career in a stereotypical "mens" field. I've never firsthand been involved in any of this, but I've seen it close enough to want to just stay away and hope the stuff splashing off that fan does't reach me!
Actually being as I live in a "at will" state, my experience is that when someone is charged with sexual harassment in the workplace it is usually grounds for immediate dismissal regardless of the circumstance.
The company is usually then put in a position of settling, which is the outcome the majority of the time, or face a civil suit.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:41 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Get the video on local news of him kissing the woman without her consent and against her will.... and put it on all the local TV channels. See if he stays in office then.

Let's see it.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:53 PM

454 posts, read 793,837 times
Did he? Didn't he? It will all come out... Mr. Filner will have his chance, his defense, his say-so during all this; so will his accusers.

sexual harassment is a tricky squirmy unpleasant thing to endure, handle, bring in the open, and finally charge, prosecure, fire someone.. it's the little behavior we wish would just go away.

This happened to me years ago at work... after speaking to my supervisor about a fellow employee's repeated unwelcome behavior nothing was done.. other females had complained about him too but the incidents were pooh pooh'd. i decided to go for a shock treatment solution... the next time he got behind me to massage my shoulders, nuzzle my hair, or ask whether or not i wore undies, i stood up, bellowed at the top of my voice YOU FRIGGIN PERV, THE NEXT TIME YOU ASK WHAT KIND OF PANTIES I HAVE ON, OR TELL ME I TURN YOU ON, I'M GONNA PHONE YOUR FAT WIFE, YOU CREEP!!!

well you could have heard a pin drop, this was in an office of about 70 people... i don't know if anything was done about him individually, the entire workplace had to attend a Sexual Behavior workshop.... but he sure as Hades never spoke or looked at me again!

Old 07-15-2013, 03:02 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLuvsToTravel View Post
Did he? Didn't he? It will all come out... Mr. Filner will have his chance, his defense, his say-so during all this; so will his accusers.

sexual harassment is a tricky squirmy unpleasant thing to endure, handle, bring in the open, and finally charge, prosecure, fire someone.. it's the little behavior we wish would just go away.

This happened to me years ago at work... after speaking to my supervisor about a fellow employee's repeated unwelcome behavior nothing was done.. other females had complained about him too but the incidents were pooh pooh'd. i decided to go for a shock treatment solution... the next time he got behind me to massage my shoulders, nuzzle my hair, or ask whether or not i wore undies, i stood up, bellowed at the top of my voice YOU FRIGGIN PERV, THE NEXT TIME YOU ASK WHAT KIND OF PANTIES I HAVE ON, OR TELL ME I TURN YOU ON, I'M GONNA PHONE YOUR FAT WIFE, YOU CREEP!!!

well you could have heard a pin drop, this was in an office of about 70 people... i don't know if anything was done about him individually, the entire workplace had to attend a Sexual Behavior workshop.... but he sure as Hades never spoke or looked at me again!

Brava!!!!

This is what should be taught in Sexual Behavior workshops ... effective ways to play a definitive end-game. Filing charges is usually a huge waste of time and self.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:34 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLuvsToTravel View Post

How does insulting his wife play into it?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:46 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
What I don't get is some people that act like you have to settle for a Mayor that would do unethical or possibly illegal and shady things in order to get things done. What they don't realize is that is NOT the case.
Putting the issue of him making passes at women aside... There has been nothing unethical or even possibly illegal or shady and you know it (or rather you should). The flimsy nonsense which Roger Hedgecrap and his listeners have hung their hats on was the curfluffle with the entrenched hotel lobby which is one of the worst and most powerful special interest groups in the city. To help balance the budget the mayor said he was going to eliminate the free government handouts which hotel company get as a subsidy from the taxpayers (supposedly to help them advertise but really most of it just went into their pockets). The hotel lobby cried giant crocodile tears saying how unfair it was that they would no longer get endless free handouts of the taxpayer's money, that some how this would hurt the rest of us if they were no longer allowed to steal tens of millions from the tax payers for doing nothing, and what a mean mean meanie the mayor was for taking away their corporate welfare.

The compromise the mayor reached with them was that subsidies would continue but that now it would only be matching funds for advertising the hotels ACTUALLY SPENT attracting visitors to San Diego instead of just getting a giant check even if they didn't actually advertise anything. In return though the hotel lobby had to pay for what the money would have been spent on if the hotel lobby welfare queens hadn't taken it; namely, the 100 year anniversary of Balboa Park which is a big event which will bring in tourists and ultimately help the hotel companies book rooms. The hotel lobby agreed to this and then no sooner did they get their spot at the corporate welfare feed trough then they welshed on their side of the bargain and decided they'd keep the subsidies but not live up to the financial agreement they signed.

I, for one, am proud that for the first time in my life we have a mayor that calls out the BS of the special interests who run this town. Before Filner no one ever did and those pigs just stole everything which wasn't nailed down because they're just that entrenched, that arrogant, and they feel that entitled to all the taxpayer's money. Now, the good old boy network, who are almost exclusively Republicans and who always gave the moneyed special interests what ever they wanted even if it meant local schools getting closed or roads going to hell due to lack of maintenance money, tried to pretend it was so terrible and mean of Filner to make those poor innocent lobbyists live up to their agreement but many of us were happy as hell to finally see that sort of stuff happening.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
But does her name have to be released to the press for her to file formal charges? People file charges against other people all the time without getting smeared all over the front pages of the newspaper. I went to court against a burglary suspect and I don't remember anyone insisting that I go public in order to make my case legitimate.

I guess I'm more disturbed by people insisting that nothing happened because these women don't want to out themselves like that. Everyone screaming about how the accusers should make themselves known to US just want more sordid gratification.

People are really, really grossing me out today.
Like it or not people have the constitutional right to face their accusers. If they're going to attempt to destroy a man's life they need to at least come forward and publicly make their accusations so people can judge if they're creditable or not.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:05 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Putting the issue of him making passes at women aside... There has been nothing unethical or even possibly illegal or shady and you know it (or rather you should). .
I'd have to totally disagree with you. The Sunroad incident was NOT ethical (and quite possibly illegal). I'm not sure what you define as ethical but that clearly was not ethical. The fact that he had to return the money pretty much says it all. He had his own senior staff quit over it and Filner tried to blame them and even his own people said he knew about it.

If you don't consider that "shady" then I wouldn't expect you to agree on the difference between ethical vs. unethical. And everything else kind of becomes a moot point after that.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 07-15-2013 at 08:41 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 08:41 PM

Politicians return donations all the time. Just about all of them do because bundlers collect the money and often the politician himself doesn't even know who coughed up the cash.

Now, what the Governor of Virginia did was clearly unethical when he took ~$250k in cash and another $250k in gifts in exchange for special favors from the state government for the donor. He didn't even disclose the cash or gifts and didn't give it back until caught when some sharp eyed reporter asked him where he got the $100k Rolex watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego