Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:14 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
the bugs are pretty terrible.

I advise you visit the place, in summer, to see if you can handle the subtropical heat, laser-like FL sun and brutal humidity of the place.

I totally agree with this part above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
Yep. You leave San Diego for a week or two in the summer and when you get back, you will be like, holy crap, why the hell did I leave?

I went to visit my father for his birthday in July. The temps, while ridiculous for DC, were not out of line for Florida. And getting off that plane was like getting hit in the gut.

I don't know why people talk so much about how wonderful the four seasons are. Yes, heat and humidity that's so bad you basically need a shower as soon as you walk out the door and freezing temps, snow, and sleet are such WONDERFUL things.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,239 times
In my opinion, San Diego is a much better place to live and if you have kids there is absolutely no contest.

You have much easier access to many more places in San Diego including mountains, wine country, big cities, desert. It is an eight hour drive from Florida to North Georgia and that's about it. From San Diego, you could be in Napa, Tahoe, San Francisco or camping in a pristine and isolated Baja beach. Brazil is still far from Miami. Is there really that much of a difference between a 14 hour flight and a nine hour flight? It's not like you can head there for the weekend.

In terms of crime, San Diego is one of the safest cities in the country while Florida cities are some of the most dangerous. In my opinion, the drivers in Florida are the worst in the country by far. Lots and lots of road rage mixed with senior citizens, latin americans, and displaced north easterners are not a good combination.

The schools and kid activities are much better in San Diego.

The economy is also better and more diversified in San Diego with slightly higher wages but this is offset by the state income tax rate and much higher cost of living. If you move to LA/SF the wages are much higher than Florida.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:09 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Well, it's a five-hour longer flight from SoCal to Brazil, than from SoFla to Brazil. That's a lot more time. Besides, there's a better-sized Brazillian population in South FL than here in SoCal, and the weather in Miami is certainly more like Brazil.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 PM

20 posts, read 152,801 times
Quote:
Well, it's a five-hour longer flight from SoCal to Brazil, than from SoFla to Brazil. That's a lot more time. Besides, there's a better-sized Brazillian population in South FL than here in SoCal, and the weather in Miami is certainly more like Brazil.
I agree with Hawaii4evr that the Brazilian population/community in South FL is much larger and close-knit than the one in San Diego. From what I remember, there is a pretty sizable community in Deerfield Beach (right next to Boca Raton). This could make transitioning into and adapting to the new area much easier for Laibella and her husband.

My husband and I didn't find the weather to be as horrible as we expected or even a deal breaker. I mean, yes, it does get super hot and humid in the summer -- but that's why anywhere you go, the A/C is cranked up to the max You go from your car, to the store, or the restaurant, or your friend's house... and the A/C is always going. You get plenty notice if there's a hurricane lurking by and earthquakes/tremors are uncommon. Oh, and large wildfires do happen in FL (there were two while I lived in St Pete).

Again, though, for us it wasn't so much about cultural diversity, the weather or the landscape. It was about how we experienced everyday life.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:

No doubt it's quicker from Florida to Brazil but that's why I asked how often you are going. If it's a few times a year not a big deal going from California. If it's every month or twice a month that's another thing. NOT worth moving to Florida just for a shorter flight unless you're going back and forth all the time very often, IMHO.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 PM

73 posts, read 167,491 times
Before i got stationed here in the Navy i always thought San Diego has a nice diverse Latin Population come to find out i was dead wrong or im just in the wrong places, whenever i visit my sister in Fort Lauderdale i see all kinds of Latin people everywhere. So i am gonna try my hardest to move there whenever i get out the Navy. And from what the other poster said about Florida having horrible drivers i 100000% disagree i feel like i never seen so many bad drivers until i moved here in San Diego. I feel like everytime i driver here i gotta be on the lookout for someone else messing up on the road i seem to almost get hit by someone else every other day maybe its just Chula Vista but its pretty bad. My wife been down here for 3 months and she already got rear ended because it was drizzling outside i know it doesnt rain here alot but jeez as soon as some rain starts falling all heel breaks loose lol

Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
In my opinion, San Diego is a much better place to live and if you have kids there is absolutely no contest.
I'm not sure about that at all. The lowish wages and much higher taxes and rent/housing costs in SD can make life for families at the median income or lower very tough...Even many in the higher income brackets have to make sacrifices in terms of housing that would be unheard of at similar income levels in other metro areas.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:23 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
THey are both so different- South Florida is more like South America in weather and culture. San Diego has almost a mid-west on the coast vibe, although that is diminishing as it grows. Depends on what you like- but it will be VERY different.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:37 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I agree with Tony.

You leave San Diego for a week or two in the summer or anytime, and when you get back, you will be like, holy crap, why the hell did I leave?

I went to visit a friend in Ocean City, MD in April of the second year that I lived here. It rained most of the time that I was there, and it was humid.

The four seasons are wonderful if you like heat and humidity that's so bad you basically need a shower as soon as you walk out the door and freezing temps, snow, and sleet.

They can keep it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego