Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 6,819 times

Advertisements

I am moving to San Diego in June. I am recently divorced and had enough of Phoenix, AZ. I have a really good friend who lives in Carlsbad with his family. I will be working downtown and don't want to deal with the traffic.

I have visited San Diego 3 times since the beginning of the year and tried to look at different areas. I want to be in an area where there are some professionals and single women in their thirties. I have checked out East Village and Little Italy, but need more help.

The kind of person I am: I work out almost every day, so I need a gym nearby. Obviously, I am out of the party scene time of my life, but like to go out for dinner and some drinks at places in the age range specified. I enjoy going to see live music. I am looking for a place to rent in the low 2000s.

I just don't want to be surrounded by 20 somethings into the party scene. I've tried to research this issue and have my friend ask around (he just moved to the area 1 year ago and isn't that familiar with downtown), but need more advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 08:25 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
You'll like Bankers Hill:
Bankers Hill Residents - Your Place for Information on this Unique San Diego Neighborhood
//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Diego-CA.html

Old 04-15-2013, 11:42 PM

210 posts, read 412,181 times
Hillcrest is perfect for you buddy.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Perhaps La Jolla or Del Mar? I wonder if the lack of overall response implies that downtown isn't the place for someone in my position. I will pass on Hillcrest rcjhku, thanks.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times
Not true at all.

I moved here when I was a year younger than you, and I moved downtown and loved it.

I lived in the Marina district, just a couple of blocks away from the Gaslamp.

Now, if you listen to some people here, you will hear that this is nothing but 20 somethings fresh out of college who are only interested in drinking until they puke. You don't want to live there, they'll tell you.

This is simply not true.

I've since moved to a place in the East Village, but I knew I wanted to stay downtown. Sure, I could save some money by living in some generic, bland, just like every other place suburb. And that's fine if you like Nickelback and Chili's but I am not that guy.

What did you like about Little Italy and the East Village? What places did you look at?

As far as gyms go, there's the 24 in Horton Plaza, and there's Fit. Many of the newer apartments have gyms on site, so those would be an option for you. And if you do choose fit, I can refer you to a friend of mine who is one of their instructors and she'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:42 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Marina District and Bankers Hill will probably fit more of what you are looking for, even Little Italy.

I think no one really responded because not many regular posters live down there. We did for 6 years and are in our mid 30s. We were ready to leave after year 6 and lived on the border of Marina District and Gaslamp. There are many things that were great about living down there and other things not so much. If we were to live there again, it would be in the Marina District or Bankers Hill area.

We have found that the Marina and Columbia Districts (bordering Little Italy) are very good places that keep you within arms reach of the downtown nightlife and access to North Park/Hillcrest areas and still walkable.

So I guess to help you more, what were your impressions of Little Italy and East Village? Or were you there just for a weekend 'on vacation' with that mindset? You also mentioned no to Hillcrest. Again, what is it about those areas you did or didnt like so that people can point you in the right direction.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:51 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,532 times
It's funny when people say it's not about people in their twenties when California, in general, has a young population.
Downtown isn't PB. PB is more the young 22 year olds in shorts getting arrested for public drunkenness. Downtown is more the wealthier dress up crowd who can afford $20 cover charges and $20 drinks. But it's San Diego. You will see many people in their twenties or people in their thirties or forties pretending they were 22.

I lived downtown, little italy, PB, etc and enjoyed all the places while I lived there. Each one has it's own intricacies, problems, etc. I would say if you're single and have the attitude of a 25 year old, go for it. You'll have fun. San Diego downtown isn't like NYC or San Fran or Seattle or Chicago, etc. It's small. It's mostly bars and restaurants. But you can walk everywhere, walk to the marina, walk to petco park, walk to Little Italy. Walk to balboa park, etc.
I've done all those things. It was fun. But it really depends on where you're coming from. If you come from a city like NYC, downtown San Diego doesn't even feel like a real city. If you come from rural america, it probably does.

It really depends on what you're looking for. There are some people who love living downtown or in the city no matter what. Those people might be a little disappointed in San Diego. It's just not really a big city downtown. If you want to live in downtown San Diego because you like being close to the marina, balboa park, little italy, gaslamp, etc then you'll love it.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
You asked for a 'downtown neighborhood' recommendation. Now you're asking about La Jolla and Del Mar. Do you really want to live in an upscale beach area?

Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM

Thanks for all of you taking the time to respond. I thought about moving downtown because I want to avoid the commute. That was the major consideration. However, I didn't want to be isolated either, surrounded by a bunch of 20 something partiers (been there done that). If there are neighborhoods where people my age, or close to it, live, then downtown it is.

Based upon everything I have looked up and my limited interaction with the areas, I intend on focusing on the Marina District. Thanks again!

Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,532 times
Marina District, Gaslamp, East Village, etc are all close to one another. You could walk from one to the other in a very short period of time. I don't even know what they consider the 'real marina district' because most of that is a park, big hotels, the convention center, toursits, etc. You have the condos and apartment complexes, but are they really a part of the marina? You won't get some bay view unless you live in the Marriott or Hilton and so on.

I love that area, when I lived downtown, I used to frequent over there all the time. Run, job, hang out, go to some of the restaurants, etc. But I really don't know anybody who says "they live in the marina district." MOre like you live close to Gaslamp but aren't on the strip. Or you live near petco park. Or you live on harbor or pacific.

If you avoid gaslamp, you probably avoid the loud noises, nightclubs, etc. People can deny it all they want, but that is the party area of downtown. People go there to drink, dance, eat, hook up, dress up, etc. Hell, when there are big events like Mardi Gras night, where do you think they hold it? You could be 42 or 22, but you have a similar type of crowd. There are other areas near the baseball field that are more relaxed. More dive bars. But when baseball is over, it's kind of lonely.

East village to me is...overpriced. They fix parts of it up, but then they'll add some huge apartment complex or condo builiding right next to the drug stop or the gang hangouts. And charge a ton of money for those places. Yeah you'll be in a nice place costing a lot, but once you walk outside your door, you're in a seedy area. There are nice places in east village, but there are also tent city areas, drug areas, and the further you get from 6th Street, the worse it gets. Hell, they fixed up an albertson's plaza with apartments and all and while that building is nice, the area is kind of seedy if you walk in either direction. And it's not cheap. that's my problem with East village. Overpriced for an area that still is a bit dumpy.

If you work downtown or close to it and you dont like the young crowd, Little Italy is great. You can still walk to gaslamp, you're close to the bay and can walk to the marina, you have all the great aspects of Little Italy and you can go visit Mission Hills, North Park, Balboa etc. Little Italy is great to me. Well kept. Clean. Restaurants. Wine bars. Older crowd. Lots of folks on dress up dates on friday and saturday nights. Great market on saturday.

To me, Little Italy gives you all of downtown, but far enough away and with a different crowd that you can still sleep most nights. But it is a bit pricey for what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego