Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 AM

9 posts, read 10,092 times

Advertisements

Hi I was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me a little info. MY background. I am from Boise Idaho. Where the cost of living is much lower. My family and I have been planning a move to san diego for the past 2 years, so I went back to school and got my RN so I would have better opportunities. I passed my NCLEX in Feb and hoping to move in the next few months (after my oldest graduates from boot camp.) I will have 2 children home, 14 and 11 years old. My husband Does Landscaping and has owned his own company for the past 12 years. Do have any advice? Salary of RN's. My experience is long term care/ rehab. How much to have saved before moving. We expect to rent first. I really like the La mesa area, but I work for a life care center of america and they do have a facility in Escondido and Vista. I don't really know anything about N County. It looks more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Healthcare is a good industry to be in when moving to San Diego. Lots of opportunities for licensed professionals in that field

Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
Healthcare is a good industry to be in when moving to San Diego. Lots of opportunities for licensed professionals in that field
I agree with GMUAlum. Allied Health positions typically are in demand in most major cities. I've met a few people in that field and they found jobs here. On the downside, the ones I've met don't really like their places of employment much but they found a job and getting a steady paycheck.

On the landscaping front, I'd think it would be VERY difficult to establish a new company here. There is LOTS of competition including many Mexican owned companies that have their own crews that can operate efficiently and undercut the pricing of most companies.

When I was looking for a landscaper there were TONS of options. The guy I use is really really good. When I bought my house I changed out some plants as some were dead and the others he nursed back to health and look GREAT now.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisesass79 View Post
Hi I was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me a little info. MY background. I am from Boise Idaho. Where the cost of living is much lower. My family and I have been planning a move to san diego for the past 2 years, so I went back to school and got my RN so I would have better opportunities. I passed my NCLEX in Feb and hoping to move in the next few months (after my oldest graduates from boot camp.) I will have 2 children home, 14 and 11 years old. My husband Does Landscaping and has owned his own company for the past 12 years. Do have any advice? Salary of RN's. My experience is long term care/ rehab. How much to have saved before moving. We expect to rent first. I really like the La mesa area, but I work for a life care center of america and they do have a facility in Escondido and Vista. I don't really know anything about N County. It looks more expensive.
CONGRATULATIONS ON PASSING NCLEX!! (Not an easy thing to do!)

Old 04-22-2013, 02:45 PM

Can you tell me the names of the power co, and water co? Do they require a deposit from new residents? Is it true you have to change over your drivers license in 10 days? people are still unpacking!

Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
San Diego Gas & Electric....they did not charge us a deposit, but they do check to see if you have good credit with your last power company. Bringing a letter from your last company will help. Water will depend on where you settle in. For us, it is Rainbow Water, but we are way out in the North County.
Drivers License and Registration of cars is "suppose" to be 10 days. We waited probably 6 months before we ever got around to it.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:41 PM

So the drivers license thing isn't that big of a deal?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisesass79 View Post
So the drivers license thing isn't that big of a deal?
As long as your Drivers License and Car Registration are current (ie. not expired), you'll probably be ok for a while. The state of CA is hungry for revenue these days so don't push your luck.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
As long as your Drivers License and Car Registration are current (ie. not expired), you'll probably be ok for a while. The state of CA is hungry for revenue these days so don't push your luck.
Exactly. I wouldn't want to push my luck. And you want your license to match your registration, as well as having a matching address on your Ins, card.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:11 AM

I'm preparing to apply for CA nursing license. Does anyone know haw long this process takes. I would like a job before we move, but are companies going to look at me with an out of state phone number and address? Any tips would be great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego