Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 03:19 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
When I used to have to travel a lot I wished there was some way to rent a bike strictly for exercise.
Get a folding bike. I have one from my days on the East Coast, NYC and DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 03:35 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I have some friends that have folding bikes (Bike Fridays), and travel overseas with them. They go on three month biking/hiking trips, just left Argentina and are currently in Chile. They're due back at the end of the month, and will start planning another trip, if it hasn't been planned yet.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:21 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Folding bikes are great for certain trips, but for a place like DTSD, or say, Hillcrest, I would never do a bike. I would instead just do the usual: get a hotel room and drive/walk.

When I go to BH/Weho/Melrose, as I am planning to do in a few weekends, likewise, I would not ride a rented or folding bike. I want to people watch and maybe have a nice lunch or dinner, and hardly need that hassle. I only ride my folding bike in sleepy, low traffic places like Avalon or Dana Harbor. My beach bike I ride in DP and Laguna (a bit dangerous) but would not bother bringing a bike to a place like SD. I would consider it in Venice, however (but not on Abbot Kinney).

I ride for pleasure and some exercise, but never for countless miles on end like folks do on here. We are all different.

I am not sure what demographic Jenkay thinks I belong to.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:43 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Folding bikes are great for certain trips, but for a place like DTSD, or say, Hillcrest, I would never do a bike. I would instead just do the usual: get a hotel room and drive/walk.

When I go to BH/Weho/Melrose, as I am planning to do in a few weekends, likewise, I would not ride a rented or folding bike. I want to people watch and maybe have a nice lunch or dinner, and hardly need that hassle. I only ride my folding bike in sleepy, low traffic places like Avalon or Dana Harbor. My beach bike I ride in DP and Laguna (a bit dangerous) but would not bother bringing a bike to a place like SD. I would consider it in Venice, however (but not on Abbot Kinney).

I ride for pleasure and some exercise, but never for countless miles on end like folks do on here. We are all different.

I am not sure what demographic Jenkay thinks I belong to.

You stated that as a tourist in San Diego, you'd rather see things from a car or a cab. And you've given several reasons why you have no interest in riding a bike in San Diego. You just stated above, again, that you don't want to ride a bike here. That means you're not the sort of person who would be interested in renting a deco bike. Which means that you're not the demographic they're aiming for, as they're (I'm just guessing here) aiming for the people who ARE interested in riding a bike here.

I said you don't belong to the demographic(s) the bikes are being marketed to. I never made a suggestion about what demographic you do belong to.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
You're kidding right?? Bachman has a steeper grade than Texas St..

Yeah, I was including it in the "big gnarly hill" category. I was referring to safety, in terms of traffic and such, not ease. Coming up from Mission valley sucks unless you ride all the way down to Presidio park and ride up that way, but can throw your bike on the front of a #6 bus to get it up Texas if you don't want to deal with the hills. Obstacles can all be overcome

Old 02-04-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
When I used to have to travel a lot I wished there was some way to rent a bike strictly for exercise.
You can rent bikes in most cities. Just look up a local bike shop and ask. Every time I'm in SF if I can wangle a day to myself I'll rent one and just ride all day, but you could conceivably rent one for the duration of your stay if you just wanted to ride for a bit each day or something. I've done it in Chicago once, and last time I was in Tucson I looked into it but ended up being able to borrow a bike from a friend.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:04 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
You can rent bikes in most cities. Just look up a local bike shop and ask. Every time I'm in SF if I can wangle a day to myself I'll rent one and just ride all day, but you could conceivably rent one for the duration of your stay if you just wanted to ride for a bit each day or something. I've done it in Chicago once, and last time I was in Tucson I looked into it but ended up being able to borrow a bike from a friend.
I usually arrive on Marta at about 4 am and no bike shops are close to the office or Hotel. I think a folding bike would be the route to go. I let friends borrow my bikes when they are in town. I've got about a dozen of them

Old 02-08-2015, 09:34 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
I bought an annual pass and finally used DecoBike for the first time today Cruised around downtown from about 1pm to 4pm. Easy to use. Has 3 speeds. The only annoying thing is that you have to dock the bike every 30 mins, or you get charged. Saw other DecoBikers along the way. Drivers were fine. Saw more bicyclists on the streets than usual.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I bought an annual pass and finally used DecoBike for the first time today Cruised around downtown from about 1pm to 4pm. Easy to use. Has 3 speeds. The only annoying thing is that you have to dock the bike every 30 mins, or you get charged. Saw other DecoBikers along the way. Drivers were fine. Saw more bicyclists on the streets than usual.
Dock the bike? Is this a feature to keep people from stealing them? 30 min would be annoying for me, even a deal breaker if so.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:34 AM

686 posts, read 1,137,538 times
The bikes are really meant for commuting from Point A to Point B and not for leisure rides. For example, if I'm in Hillcrest and need to get downtown, I can swipe my card at a Hillcrest station, "undock" a bike and ride it downtown and then "dock" it again at another station downtown.

There are memberships that allow you 30 or 60 minutes to reach your destination. Overall, it's a great deal for me because I commute by bike and there is a station right by my house, and another right by my office. It saves the hassle of having to lock my bike and risk getting it stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego