Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 PM

173 posts, read 465,422 times

Advertisements

Hey guys/gals!

I have an opportunity for a job transfer to North Island Naval Station (Coronado).

Currently in Honolulu, which is insanely expensive - came here on a job transfer from Phoenix (where I still have an active Realtor license) and cost of living a lot less!

Salary would be the same about $17/hr as a contractor with a travel/transportation company. Recently divorced, so cannot afford to live in HNL on my salary and at least would be back on the mainland closer to family and friends.

Any recommended neighborhoods within a 15-20min commute into Coronado? Would prefer something in the $950 per month range (I can consider a studio) and more suburban.

I will be shipping my car over and was considering Mission Valley area which I think is more mature area (residents, that is) and away from the young college-kids crowd.

Any suggestions/advice for a nice, safe area? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 PM

Nothing? None of you opinionated folks have an opinion?

Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
We're stunned by the "$950 per month range". Not gonna' happen in Mission Valley. And "15-20min commute" is also probably not going to happen combined with $950 per month". So ... give us a while to regroup and reset your expectations ...

Sorry. I have nothing more useful than that to offer at this particular moment ...

Old 09-10-2013, 12:56 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Check out Craigslist for apartments in your price range. Then come back and post the addresses on here for further opinions. If there are no ships in port on North Island, the commute is a breeze, but the more ships that are in port, the longer it'll take.

If you live in the city, you'll be close to the freeway that will take you to North Island.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:22 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,508 times
Let me second what oddstray said. Mission Valley is a middle-of-the-road community with lots of apartments and condos. Even though it's not "all that," I assure you you'll be paying approximately $1500 for a fairly spartan apartment suited for college students. If it's cheaper, it will be an absolute dump of a place. And if you want a couple of bedrooms and bathrooms, along with maybe some amenities and parking, you'll be at $2,000. I know, because I live here.

Also, I think Mission Valley is generally going to take longer than 20 mins to Coronado, esp. due to traffic. The freeways in MV get absolutely jammed, as does the traffic on and around the Coronado bridge.

If it were me, I'd be looking for a roommate and a reasonable place to rent on Coronado, because traffic can be a real killer in and out of the islet.

Does the military provide any guidance or recommended housing lists, or perhaps assist with relocation? Perhaps that is a start.

Undoubtedly, Honolulu is expensive, and some aspects of San Diego will be cheaper, esp. things like gas, produce, etc. But San Diego is still very expensive, one of the most expensive places to live in the country, and only fractionally cheaper than Hawaii, Manhattan, San Francisco, etc. If you are looking for comparisons, cost of living in San Diego is somewhat cheaper than Hawaii, whereas Phoenix doesn't even come close to how expensive San Diego is.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:04 PM

I have looked at Craigs List and have seen some studios/1br in the 700-850 range, but kinda scares me. Probably not nice areas I assume.

Didn't realize the commute into Coronado was that bad

For example, I saw on CL a 1br in Normal Heights that looked kinda nice at $950 but not sure of that area - 4567 Hawley Blvd Apt 4, San Diego, CA

Another one in City Heights 1br at $975 - 4313 49th St Apt 1, San Diego, CA

Are these good areas???

Old 09-10-2013, 04:53 PM

Hawley Street is ok, that's probably Normal Heights. The one on 49th Street is City Heights, and it's crummy. I've been living in City Heights for 5 1/2 years, and am moving out of it. There are some pretty good areas of City Heights, but they're away from the main streets (El Cajon Blvd & University Avenue).

Old 09-10-2013, 04:57 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,700 times
I live in Normal Heights, that one on Hawley would be OK, City Heights is where all the poor immigrants live, that would not be so nice -- not really dangerous, as SD is mostly safe, but -- U get the picture I would get a place on Coronado itself, much easier to get to work.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:08 PM

City Heights could be classified as "crummy." My neighborhood isn't dangerous, it's just crummy, i.e., rundown.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 PM

What's Imperial Beach like? Craigs List has some nice things listed there.

Can't afford Coronado Island - even tho I would be saving on gas money, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego