Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:51 PM

55 posts, read 86,495 times

Advertisements

Used to stop at DD's in Boston for coffee and raisin bran muffin - my rushed breakfast most every day as a freshly minted salary man. Good to know they'll be in SD by the time I get ther.

Although I didn't see DD for a long time after I moved out of Boston, I was surprised to see them in many Asian cities since moving here several years ago. I don't drink that much coffee anymore, but do stop by DD's on occassion, mostly out of nostalgia and their funny and endearing "Time to make the donuts!" commercials from the 80's:

Sort of the coffee shop equivalent of the "Where's the Beef?" ads for Wendy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Don't worry Bloom. If the Cambodians could triumph over KK, I bet they will get the best of DD as well.
It's great to hear the support for the independent donut shops here in San Diego. My in-laws (who happen to be Cambodian) actually ran the Dunkin Donuts franchise in La Mesa for years during the 90's. They now have their own shop in Hillcrest called Donut Haven. Come by sometime and try them out!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:36 PM

6,898 posts, read 8,952,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post

What do you guys think would be the same for here in San Diego?
Boll Weevil? Farrell's? XXXbertos? Rubios?
Boll Weevil seems horrible name for a restaurant - sounds like a VD = STD, or some cotton plant disease.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:21 PM

115 posts, read 208,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
Does anybody think a Dunkin Donuts would be a worthy franchise opportunity in San Diego?

I am coming to a crossroads in my life and starting to consider retirement in the next few years, but can't see myself just doing nothing. I have thought about some kind of franchise or small business but just brainstorming at this point.
Hi,
I am not sure how this business will do in San Diego. I personally would check other franchises. Most DD franchisees that I am familiar with just make a living if you work them personally.

Myself I am thinking in investing in some business franchises in San Diego and other areas just for diversification purposes. At one point I was thinking DD but I decided to look for something else.

G

Old 10-11-2013, 12:56 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,915,576 times
I grew up in NJ so I'm waiting on a WaWa.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:14 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,285,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by procapital View Post
Hi,
I am not sure how this business will do in San Diego. I personally would check other franchises. Most DD franchisees that I am familiar with just make a living if you work them personally.

Myself I am thinking in investing in some business franchises in San Diego and other areas just for diversification purposes. At one point I was thinking DD but I decided to look for something else.

G
I would agree if it was anywhere else except downtown San Diego. By its very nature as being a touristy driven area that has tons of convention business from all over the world, this will be a success IMHO.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:15 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,285,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I grew up in NJ so I'm waiting on a WaWa.
Ha! WaWa.

Only found one place that made pork roll sandwiches on Harbor Island. Sadly they went out of business a couple of years ago.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:02 PM

6,898 posts, read 8,952,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVieQ View Post
Used to stop at DD's in Boston for coffee and raisin bran muffin - my rushed breakfast most every day as a freshly minted salary man. Good to know they'll be in SD by the time I get ther.

Although I didn't see DD for a long time after I moved out of Boston, I was surprised to see them in many Asian cities since moving here several years ago. I don't drink that much coffee anymore, but do stop by DD's on occassion, mostly out of nostalgia and their funny and endearing "Time to make the donuts!" commercials from the 80's:

Sort of the coffee shop equivalent of the "Where's the Beef?" ads for Wendy's.
"It's (not) worth the trip", unless you're a joy-riding teenager in the 1980s tristate area.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:04 AM

210 posts, read 412,876 times
Let the FATTIES line up for some donuts!

Old 10-12-2013, 11:31 PM

258 posts, read 534,648 times
Best doughnuts I have eaten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego