Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 8,587 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm having a job interview in San Diego next week and am starting to look at areas of the city I might be interested in living. I'm from the Boston area, so it'd be a big move for me and I'd like to live in an area where I could meet people my age. I'm a 22 year old, single guy. Not quite sure of a rent price range yet, but probably would be looking for something reasonable around $800.

I've seen a bunch of other threads on this, but wanted to post my own to see what advice I get. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
What area of San Diego is the job in? For a decent place, you might want to raise your rental budget, though.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 8,587 times
It's in the Gaslamp Quarter. Yea I'm just not sure of the salary for the job, but I might be able to go a little higher.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 PM

Wait until you find out the salary, then start looking for a place, and make sure that it includes parking. If an ad says street parking, forget about it. If you want to walk to work, you can try the Gaslamp District, East Village, Bankers Hill, Cortez Hill, and Hillcrest. Uptown on the bus route is Golden Hill, South Park, North Park, Normal Heights, and University Heights. Stay out of City Heights. Closer to the job will be pricier, though.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:41 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Since you are working downtown, you may as well try living there first. Although, I'm not sure you will find anything in the $800 range. I think decent studios start at $1200. You can find cheaper places (but older with less amenites) in adjacent Bankers Hill. Good Luck!

Downtown San Diego Apartments For Rent - Find Apartments for Rent in Downtown San Diego, CA - ForRent.com

Old 10-24-2013, 05:19 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
there are actually some very small apartments in gaslamp often advertised for around $800, if I were 22 I'd live there. Size of a dorm room they look, but cool. I see them on CL all the time.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:46 PM

The apartments that you see in the Gaslamp that are advertised for around $800 are either rooms in an SRO or an income restricted building.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:53 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
there are actually some very small apartments in gaslamp often advertised for around $800, if I were 22 I'd live there. Size of a dorm room they look, but cool. I see them on CL all the time.
How does that old saying go? If it's too good to be true, then it probably is. I'm with moved in that those places are cheap for a reason.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:55 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
How does that old saying go? If it's too good to be true, then it probably is. I'm with moved in that those places are cheap for a reason.
So true! Ha,ha.

I've found that many people have such a dream of living in San Diego they will talk themselves into believing something is true or easy or tons of cheap housing, or tons of great jobs, etc.

That just is NOT the case here.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:25 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Given your Gaslamp work location, an apartment which has good mass transit access may be your best option. There is no free parking downtown.

The San Diego mass transit website is:

San Diego Metropolitan Transit System

Monthly passes are $72. Your choice to drive or to transit may be determined by when you get off work and whether your employer offers employee parking. For a combination of lower cost, speed of mass transit, and good for younger people, I would look at Golden Hill and University Heights, as well as North Park and Normal Heights near El Cajon Boulevard. That would provide quick access to the #15 bus soon to become the Mid-City Rapid Bus which is an express-like bus to downtown. There is also the option of North and South Park (east of Balboa Park) along the #2 bus route. A slow bus, but you are closer to work so it may not matter. However, it may not meet your revised budget. ($800/month isn't going to work.)

The Trolley is a much more pleasant way to travel downtown however that would only provide you with Mission Valley as a location to live. For a younger person that just isn't the place for you nor is it likely to fit in your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego