Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 01:34 PM

35 posts, read 78,312 times

Advertisements

edit: added some pics from Friday night at the campsite and Saturday at the truckstop.

**Dangit, how do you add captions to the pics?**

So, I got a last-minute pet-sitting gig last night. A friend had gone out of town and had arranged for a neighbor to take care of his dogs, but the neighbor is flaky and wasn't answering the phone so my friend said I could crash there in exchange for checking on the dogs.

See how things work out?

AADAD: My dress code is basically "khaki casual", my hair is short and I wear minimal makeup.

Showered at my friend's this morning and went to McD's to upload my assignments. No outlets there so when my battery got low I went across the street to Wendy's (had outlets, yay!) to finish up. Eating a Frosty now and deciding what to do with my afternoon. Here's the unexpected perk of this experiment: if I was home, I would just be wasting time right now, goofing on the net, or watching Netflix, etc. I'm kind of a homebody, especially this time of year. Cold weather makes me hunker down and become a hermit. This is forcing me to "get out there" and be more active.

I thought I might practice "emergency fundraising" in case I ever find myself in a bad spot financially (in SD or otherwise). I had this idea of "selling jokes" at a truckstop. Here's how it goes: Go up to a parked truck where the driver is in the front seat (you don't ever knock on the door of a truck where the driver might be trying to sleep, unless you REALLY want to tick him off!) and say, "Can I ask you a question?" He/she says "yes" and I say, "What do you call a cow with no legs?" Answer: ground beef. Of course, they're not expecting that kind of question, so hopefully they get a kick out of it. I'll be holding a clearly marked Tip Jar, and they can give if they want, and if not that's fine too. I'll keep telling jokes as long as they keep "donating". I don't want to outright beg; as a former truckdriver I've heard so many sob stories and you never know if you're being scammed or not. You want to help but you don't want to get "taken", and enable someone's habit at the same time

Don't need any safety advice; as a former driver I know how to handle myself around a truckstop. I'm mostly just wondering if this will get me in trouble legally? I know laws vary but anybody have any experience/opinions on this?

Still gotta figure out where I'm sleeping tonight; too cold to camp as I don't have the right gear yet. Guess it'll be the car.

I don't know how many people are still following the thread; I won't post unless someone else does or unless something really interesting happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Sleeping in my car in SD?-hut-1.jpg   Sleeping in my car in SD?-hut-2-paul-bunions-.jpg   Sleeping in my car in SD?-lovely-view-outhouse-hut.jpg   Sleeping in my car in SD?-college-kids.jpg   Sleeping in my car in SD?-harry-potter-his-irish-doodle-fire  

Sleeping in my car in SD?-my-freebie-shower-credit.jpg   Sleeping in my car in SD?-shower-room-2.jpg   Sleeping in my car in SD?-they-give-you-candy-everything-.jpg   Sleeping in my car in SD?-me-again.jpg  

Last edited by peasantgirl; 12-08-2013 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: added pics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 04:48 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
I'm still following. I'm not sure how much you'll make with your jokes and tip jar. But I don't know any truckers, so maybe. Might make more sense to save some "emergency money" and turn it into a gift card that doesn't ever expire and is accepted anywhere. Then keep it save until you need it.

Yes, get proper camping gear! Don't let yourself get chilled like that - it'll wear you down. Eat more protein than you otherwise would if you think you'll be in cold conditions (learned these hints from Sierra Club backpacking class).

Old 12-08-2013, 05:37 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
Yes, we're still following. As a mother and grandmother I'm concerned about your safety even though you say you can handle things. I like that you're including pictures so we can see what you're doing. No on the joke thing with the truckers.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:19 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Howdy peasantgirl .

These are mighty nice photos. Thankyou for sharing them......

Old 12-08-2013, 08:28 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Yes ... you're being followed here. Threads like this tend to be interesting.

We had a member a while back named Carlos who lived essentially the same as you, except without a car, and his threads were extremely popular.

Keep in mind car camping at a campground will be a lot different than car camping while parked on a city street.

At a campground you have restrooms, outhouses, etc. to use if needed during the night. You can even use the woods, since few are around to notice.

And at a campground you don't have cars riding past your car all night long while you are trying to sleep.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 PM

oddstray: Hey, I like the GC idea! And the protein, I think that has something to do with the slower digestion? Generates heat, right?

I found a zero degree mummy bag at WM that I like, and a tent, and a cook-set (So I can boil my own coffee!). I couldn't find the water purification tablets so I asked the kid at the sporting goods counter and he told me to go to Housewares. Huh? I guess he thought I meant Brita pitchers, lol.

Lost Roses: Really, don't worry too much. I know which truckstops to totally avoid, I know not to walk along the back row (I didn't even park there when I was a driver), I won't do it after dark, etc. I like to think I'm a smart cookie

Hawk J: Glad you like 'em! I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in them.

-----------------------------

So, I spent a long boring day between window shopping at Wally-World, and hanging out in fast food joints mooching their wifi, and now I'm in a 24-hour diner, again for the wifi, lol. I had a McGriddle for brekkie, a frosty and chili for lunch, Taco Bell burritos for dinner, and now coffee and pie. I feel like I've gained 5 pounds today.

I picked a dandy time for this experiment....this weather SUCKS! It might not be snowing but it's cold, wet and miserable. My biggest danger is dying of boredom. I can't try my joke thing in the rain, I ain't trying out new camping gear in the rain....guess I'll find a library tomorrow. I've got two new assignments but they're not due til Thursday so I'm gonna spend the next two days researching camping spots for that area.

It occurred to me that when I get to SD that if I spend my "down-time" in the Natl forest areas then I can probably forget about wifi. That's gonna cause some serious withdrawals, lol.

If I was in San Diego it wouldn't be cold and rainy....grrrrr.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

We had a member a while back named Carlos who lived essentially the same as you, except without a car, and his threads were extremely popular.

Keep in mind car camping at a campground will be a lot different than car camping while parked on a city street.

At a campground you have restrooms, outhouses, etc. to use if needed during the night. You can even use the woods, since few are around to notice.

And at a campground you don't have cars riding past your car all night long while you are trying to sleep.
Hey, you posted while I was typing

I don't plan on spending a lot of time in campgrounds, most of them charge more than I want to pay. When I camp it's usually a "hike-in" situation, either on a trail or to a stealth location off-trail.

I wish I was doing something more adventurous to entertain y'all with!

Here's a link to the mummy bag (can I post links?) Ozark Trails Everest Mummy Sleeping Bag - Walmart.com

and a link to the tent. Ozark Dome Tent, 7' x 7' - Walmart.com

I have half a dozen tarps (for a groundsheet) at home so I'm not buying another one. I'll cruise by the house soon to pick one up. That doesn't count as going home, does it?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

How do I find Carlos' threads? There's a lot of Carlos's here....?

Oh, is this him? //www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...clothes-9.html

Old 12-08-2013, 10:17 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
^ yes that is him

Old 12-08-2013, 10:28 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
this is getting a bit creepy with the photos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego