Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,887 times

Advertisements

I live in KC (for past 5 years) and looking to move to the SD area for better weather. My wife (28) is a nurse and I am an engineer (29)...(just middle class and watch our expenses). I want to do this "life-excursion" for the next few years until kids come along. So we are willing to rent (apt or house) and enjoy this portion of our life. I am not needy for crazy activity or city life. I went to the SD convention center for a work trip and stayed another week in the Gas Lamp District. It was fun to visit but not to live...for us I mean. So I would like something with the great (temperate) weather and affordable for our budget/incomes. We drive 17 & 11 year old cars, so no Joneses here.

I wouldn't mind the suburbs (live there now) just close to a new job (whenever I find it). Upon inspection most of our time is spent going to work and coming home (60% of the waking day). I will continue with that general pattern but just want to try it in SD with the great weather. The weekends are generally free and that's when I would like to take advantage of activities.

Wants:
+Temps like SD not like in KC
+low crime area
+rent decent (~$2000)
+don't need lots of nightlife

Areas I was wondering about would fit that criteria:
-Oceanside
-Encititas
-Carlsbad
-South SD (Chula Vista)?

There are so many areas up and down the SD Co coast that I don't know where to start.

Many Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 09:40 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,600,237 times
Start by lining up a job for at least one of you.

$2000 for rent is enough for most neighborhoods in and around San Diego.

In Oceanside and in Chula Vista, there are some not-so-wonderful areas as well as good areas. If you have a specific address or intersection, we can tell you which it is.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:44 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,072,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardisco View Post
I live in KC (for past 5 years) and looking to move to the SD area for better weather. My wife (28) is a nurse and I am an engineer (29)...(just middle class and watch our expenses). I want to do this "life-excursion" for the next few years until kids come along. So we are willing to rent (apt or house) and enjoy this portion of our life. I am not needy for crazy activity or city life. I went to the SD convention center for a work trip and stayed another week in the Gas Lamp District. It was fun to visit but not to live...for us I mean. So I would like something with the great (temperate) weather and affordable for our budget/incomes. We drive 17 & 11 year old cars, so no Joneses here.

I wouldn't mind the suburbs (live there now) just close to a new job (whenever I find it). Upon inspection most of our time is spent going to work and coming home (60% of the waking day). I will continue with that general pattern but just want to try it in SD with the great weather. The weekends are generally free and that's when I would like to take advantage of activities.

Wants:
+Temps like SD not like in KC
+low crime area
+rent decent (~$2000)
+don't need lots of nightlife

Areas I was wondering about would fit that criteria:
-Oceanside
-Encititas
-Carlsbad
-South SD (Chula Vista)?

There are so many areas up and down the SD Co coast that I don't know where to start.

Many Thanks!
Also, by 'suburbs', do you mean something with a town center or a more generic suburb that probably has shopping plazas you can drive/walk to? If the former, then stick with Carlsbad or Encintas. Otherwise, with your budget, depending on the type of rental you seek [ie, you can do resort amenities complexes, with pool, tennis, etc in a condo or apartment/townhome], you'll have options all over the city.

Do a search on this forum for past threads about O-side and Chula Vista [and for that matter, encinitas and carlsbad-there's lots of good info that will fill in a bit of the picture.] Once you have a feel for the areas, you can ask based on what type of area you seek. Or, as already mentioned, once you have a job and commute is a concern.

Also, be sure to look up google images and chamber of commerce. Although not a full representation, they do give an idea of the area. Heck, even wikipedia city pages can be of assistance-demographics, major employers, average weather temps, scenic attractions, etc.

Good luck, and sounds like a great plan=to enjoy this time in your life living somewhere you enjoy!
ps-from your initial list, Encinitas and Carlsbad are probably better choices for you.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
At $2000 you won't be living at the beach but there are a lot of nice middle class areas you can live in.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:10 PM

70 posts, read 100,907 times
Jcardisco: I am a fellow KCer on my way to San Diego this spring. If you like suburbs, I would definitely check out Rancho Penasquitos, Rancho Bernardo, and Poway (all very nice areas). The eastern parts of Chula Vista (Eastlake, Bonita, Otay Ranch areas) are very nice as well. I have family in SD, so I've been there many times and have good insight into KC comparisons. Where are you at in KC? What KC area would most closely match with what you are trying to find in SD?

Old 01-29-2014, 01:49 PM

40 posts, read 120,650 times
My wife and I moved out here about 6 months ago from the Midwest as well at 29 and 27, so pretty similar situation. We ended up settling in the UTC/La Jolla Colony area and really love it. It would fit your budget if you're willing to live in an older/smaller place (you could get a 2 BR apartment here for $2k) and it's very safe and convenient. We have easy access to a huge mall, tons of grocery stores, restaurants and parks.

Our lease is up soon, so we're actually moving over to Serra Mesa/Mission Valley area because we found a great place for a lot less money. We'll be paying $2k for a pretty new 2/2 that's really upgraded and large. It's another area to consider - it's not as nice as UTC IMO, but it's SUPER convenient - about 7-8 minutes from Hillcrest, 5 from Mission Valley, 15 from Mission Beach, and there are two Targets and Costcos within a few minutes drive. Lame to be excited about I know, but I'm practical.

I'm not a huge fan of Oceanside but I've only been there a few times. The vibe is a bit different (maybe because of the military presence?) and it's like an hour from downtown. Feels way out to me. Encinitas and Carlsbad are very nice, but kind of pricey and further away as well. Chula Vista... I probably wouldn't do just because it seems a little less safe, but like others have said it might just matter where you are exactly.

Feel free to PM me when you guys come out, we'd be happy to get together and show you around (with our 6 months of San Diego knowledge)!

Old 01-30-2014, 02:20 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,409,026 times
I really endorse the idea of not choosing a location until one of you has a job.

A nurse might find employment in UTC/La Jolla, Hillcrest, or in several other places depending on her specialty.

An engineer (depending on the type), might find employment in Sorrento Mesa, Kearney Mesa, or along the bay in a maritime related facility.

Choosing badly on a location could either really limit your choice of prospective employers, or subject one or both of you to horrendous commutes.

However, if in doubt, and you have to choose, I would recommend renting a place in Mission Valley. It's equidistant to most locations. Personally, I dislike Mission Valley as a place to live because it is not a neighborhood, but a collection of shopping malls and large apartment complexes, intersected by large amounts of vehicular traffic. But it may be your best initial choice.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:04 PM

26 posts, read 31,035 times
San Diego is good for two things

- Raising children in the suburbs
- Living by the beach (very expensive)

If this doesn't fit you, you are wasting your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego