Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 04:42 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times

Advertisements

What is fueling the Imperial Valley's economy? How is it possible Calexico has an outlet mall opening up? Or the fact that El Centro has a mall? Is it a tourist spot for people from Mexicali?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 05:31 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,239 times
Calexico has had a mall for awhile. It is a nice mall too. Not sure how malls equate tourism. The residents of the area work and shop at these malls. They don't have to be from some place else. The Imperial Valley mostly thrives on agriculture. El Centro and the Imperial Valley in general is cheaper than a lot of other parts of California. The affordability makes it an attractive option for those with not a lot of money. I could ask the same about Bakersfield and Fresno. Both of which offer about the same as far as jobs (retail and heavy agiruculture) and affordability.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Calexico has had a mall for awhile. It is a nice mall too. Not sure how malls equate tourism. The residents of the area work and shop at these malls. They don't have to be from some place else. The Imperial Valley mostly thrives on agriculture. El Centro and the Imperial Valley in general is cheaper than a lot of other parts of California. The affordability makes it an attractive option for those with not a lot of money. I could ask the same about Bakersfield and Fresno. Both of which offer about the same as far as jobs (retail and heavy agiruculture) and affordability.
No they have not always had an outlet mall. Gran Plaza Outlets just opened:

Mi Calexico

I believe El Centro saw a loss of population where as Calexico saw an increase in population from the last census.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,239 times
There is another mall that you can see from the 8 freeway that has a Dillards and a movie theater and some other stores. Not surprising that El Centro saw a population loss. The unemployment rate in Imperial County is/was worse than most if not all other counties in California when the economy entered the recession.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:19 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
I don't know of any single data point that explains why, but considering the border nature of Calexico, Mexicali has grown quite a bit over the years as I understand. Hence the newish outlet mall.

Just like we have the Las Americas Plaza in San Ysidro, I am certain there are folks coming through Mexicali to shop in Calexico.

I was under the impression the El Centro Naval Base kept the economy afloat in that area. A friend of my wife's used to be on the Blue Angels which was winter based in El Centro and when that was cut, many other aspects of the Blue Angels were cut as well.
So I am sure military spending cuts besides that affected the area directly.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I don't know of any single data point that explains why, but considering the border nature of Calexico, Mexicali has grown quite a bit over the years as I understand. Hence the newish outlet mall.

Just like we have the Las Americas Plaza in San Ysidro, I am certain there are folks coming through Mexicali to shop in Calexico.

I was under the impression the El Centro Naval Base kept the economy afloat in that area. A friend of my wife's used to be on the Blue Angels which was winter based in El Centro and when that was cut, many other aspects of the Blue Angels were cut as well.
So I am sure military spending cuts besides that affected the area directly.
Yeah, I am thinking El Centro and Calexico are shopping destinations for Mexicali.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 AM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times
For many months a year the area is a huge draw for hundreds of thousands of hunters.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:28 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
Mexicali shoppers drive the shopping mall in EC and the new outlets in Calexico. Without Mexicali...there wouldn't be a mall in EC.

The local economy is dependent on cattle, agricultura and shoppers from Mexicali. NAF El Centro also may help, but it is a small segment. There are also some prisons and then border patrol and government jobs and that's about it.

The area grew in the last census probably because many people here have large families....and it is relatively cheap and there is a lot of unemployment and lack of recreation...so people find their own things to do...and don't tend to worry about planning ahead with a family. Also, the population is basically stable, since it is so small, it doesn't take much for it to grow.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:38 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times
I live in Boulevard and prefer to do my shopping at Imperial Valley mall, seems like everything is 40% cheaper than San Diego everyday there. The movie theater is state of the art, but only charges $8.50 an adult ticket peak times. I wanted a hat from Macy's 2 Christmas' ago. The Macy's in Mission Valley/Parkway Plaza wanted $70, the same hat at the IVM Macy's was 2 for $45. IVM and Parkway Plaza are equally distant from my house.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 AM

15 posts, read 17,387 times
I am looking at a job there, what is the area like for a family with a small kids, 9/5/3. Is there much to do, how is crime? the usual stuff? I'm look towards living in Imperial I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego