Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 09:09 AM

102 posts, read 147,474 times

Advertisements

I am looking for any suggestions on places to stay in the San Diego area, I will be there July 7-9 for my honeymoon.

We are looking for something in the price range of $150 a night.

The amenitiies that we are looking for are:
  • Private bathroom
  • Near attractions
  • Near beach
  • Great restaurants
  • A place with great customer service
Would you suggest driving down (we live in Orange County) or taking the train?

Any suggestions would be helpful, thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 07:17 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,150,801 times
The Marriott Residence in would fit your bill.

Close to one of the nicest beaches striking distance to La Jolla Cove and Coronado

San Diego Del Mar Hotel | Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar Hotel

Old 02-17-2014, 07:28 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,175,587 times
Try the Westin downtown. Nice place, see here. I have stayed there many times, and as recently as NYE . Calm down folks, I used points . It won't be by the beach, but is walking distance to tons restaurants and the bay. You can drive to Coronado for the beach if you have a car. You can take the amtrak and walk to Westin (a bit of a hike, but you can get a cheap cab. It can't cost much, its very close). If you take the train, you won't have access to the beach from downtown although I believe they have a ferry you can take across the water to Coronado if memory serves.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 02-17-2014 at 07:51 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,922,242 times
You want to have a car with you to get around town.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:35 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,078,623 times
Definitely drive down. For a beautiful beach location, walking distance to shops and restaurants, I recommend Del Mar Village. That's a nice honeymoon spot. Not sure about hotel rooms and reservations off hand.

Another nice hotel is Hotel Estancia La Jolla. Rates may be higher, but it's a beautiful, centrally located spot [not far from torrey pines state beach and la jolla shores [btw, la jolla cove as suggested is not really a beach and is downtown la jolla; it's smelly b/c of the seals' excrement on the rocks-it's a major long standing issue. la jolla shores is in a beautiful residential part of la jolla and not far from estancie. google maps will give you the details.] Estancia has beautiful grounds and awesome restaurants on site.

Also, near Fiesta Island there are several beach resorts-Paradise Point is one. I forget the name of that area but you may want to check that out, along with Mission Bay Hilton and other hotels on the bay.

Personally, I would not stay downtown. There's not that much to do-after a couple of hours, you're probably going to look elsewhere. Especially if you want to be near a beach. You can always go downtown and explore separately, rather than base yourself there. I don't think it's very romantic for a honeymoon, but it depends on what you like.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-18-2014 at 04:51 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 09:05 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,068,822 times
We are planning a trip to San Deigo, too. We would like to stay within walking distance of Balboa Park. We want to see the tea pavilion and check out the museums and gardens there, especially the Japanese friendship garden.

Any hotels or cottages near the park?

Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,962,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We are planning a trip to San Deigo, too. We would like to stay within walking distance of Balboa Park. We want to see the tea pavilion and check out the museums and gardens there, especially the Japanese friendship garden.

Any hotels or cottages near the park?
I drive by the 'Balboa Park Inn'.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:55 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,175,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Personally, I would not stay downtown. There's not that much to do-after a couple of hours, you're probably going to look elsewhere.
I'm guessing they will keep each other company during those "down" times.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:15 PM

9,826 posts, read 11,589,860 times
San Marcos Lake House
Named top 25 hotels in the nation
Beach is 15mins away
://www.lakehousehotelandresort.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego