Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 8,006 times

Advertisements

I am from Ohio, and have recently lost my job due to cut backs. I have a HS level education, and work factories, or construction. This is the third time in 5 years that my family (wife, 2 kids) has fallen on our faces because of the poor jobs here. So we have decided we are just gonna pack up the van, and start over somewhere else. We like southern California, for all the obvious reasons (weather is the biggest) but find it very expensive. Understandably so.

What I am looking for is any advice on a town/neighborhood that will be safe for my kids, have access to jobs (mostly basic factory work), some public transportation options, and as affordable as possible. I know I can't expect to get a great place for nothing, but I am definitely in the poor classification, but I don't want to live in some gangland.

I know I'm riding on a hope and a prayer here, but trust me, anything is better than starting over again in here in Ohio.

Any help here is appreciated, thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 01:37 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Your making a bold move Dad, but I applaud you. Ohio sucks terribly and if you couldn't make it there, why the hell stay in that hell hole? If you are willing to work your tail off, and can penny pinch with your family, I am sure you guys can survive here. It will be very hard at first. There are jobs for hard workers I am sure. Construction jobs are dominated by immigrants, but why shouldn't someone from Ohio be able to get it? Don't get discouraged. I wish you the best of luck and to your family. Be careful to look presentable and moderately clean cut when you go looking for a job. I know Ohio workers can be amazing. I had a guy work on my house in San Diego. He worked like a dog and I was very impressed.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:42 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Look at this article, to give you some ideas: Which states will generate jobs in 2014?

Notably missing from the places it mentions for job growth is San Diego. I really don't see that San Diego has anything to offer you except its weather.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:34 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
I would recommend that you look at where they are hiring since you are flying low. You will not find work easy anywhere near here It's very competitive and people who are tradesmen cannot get hired at home depot. Do your research before you put your family on the road would be my 02.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:38 PM

5 posts, read 8,006 times
I appreciate the input, definitely some good info. I would also appreciate it if anyone could give me a few neighborhoods that seem to have some work, and lower housing costs. I would love a 2BR for around $750 or less. But I really want to avoid dangerous neighborhoods with gangs or whatever. I just don't know the area. I google like mad, and oceanside, escondido, san marcos, poway, carlsbad seem like possibilities.

What does everyone think?

Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:40 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
I don't know of any for that price in those areas. I would be surprised.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:19 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Two bedrooms for $750 per month don't exist here in San Diego, in fact, you'd be doing good to find a one bedroom for that rent here. If you speak Spanish, you "might" be able to get a job here and there, but don't count on it. There are people that hang out in some of the Home Depot parking lots hoping that someone will come along and give them to get a day job. I wouldn't move your family here, you'll regret it.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:27 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,891 times
As others have already mentioned, that price point does not exist in the neighborhoods you mention, or anywhere in San Diego county that I have seen.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:30 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
The only place that you'll find something like that is in Mexico.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Up top my "your" was supposed to be, "you're.

In any case, these other folks are right that the rents are very high here, but my parents were poor immigrants and were told the same about coming to California before I was born: Don't go to California, there are no jobs there and it is expensive. Well, we are pretty successful today. The parents worked like dogs and made sure their kid got a great education. Here we are today.

I am not saying they are lying about the costs here, because they are not. Rent is high. But if you are persistent and find work, you will survive. Did you check Craigslist and other sites to see if you could be a handyman? You could also look for a rent/live situation if you manage an apartment building for someone. Did you check on that? Do you have experience with that? Can you replace toilets, paint, repair leaky sinks, etc.? If yes, guess what, those are good skills and not all immigrants waiting outside Home Depot can do those. Hell, we are always looking for people like that.

Don't give up. And as for the "you can't find a job since you don't speak Spanish thing", I say that's not true. A lot of people would hire you *if* they become aware of you and know what skills you have. Be prepared to have references if anyone asks. Again, you need to be presentable. I don't care what your color or creed is, just be clean cut and polite. Stress your skills.

If getting hired by an apartment owner, they will want references and want to see that you and your family are clean cut, can speak to other tenants professionally and calmly (sometimes people need to calmed down and are hysterical) and whether you can provide service when needed and promptly. If you have the goods and can deliver, present yourself in a decent package, and you will get a gig out here.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 02-17-2014 at 06:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego