Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 03:05 PM

675 posts, read 645,615 times

Advertisements

I'm not much into opera. I like ballet better, but to me it seems sad, if not unexpected, for a major city to lose such an institution in any of the major fine arts. Just short of their 50th anniversary.

San Diego Opera votes to fold | UTSanDiego.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 03:59 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Cultural shift ? 15 mil is a lot of money to try to maintain in a budget when no one goes to see it.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:04 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,577,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
opera . . . ballet . . . . major fine arts.
Both are beyond boring. I'd rather be home sick than attend some excruciatingly dull dancing in tights, or overwrought vocals in languages I don't understand, in "plays" I care nothing about. The few times I did attend when on school outings or with elders -- I saw many audience members sleeping, others who bolted from their seats as if in an Olympic sprint once the whole dreadful thing was over. What a waste of time.

Plainly hundreds of millions of Americans think the same, as these stodgy "companies" are going bankrupt across the country. Snorefest entertainment from an era long since gone, an era of fake platitudes and fake puritanical modesty that thankfully is never coming back.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:16 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,035,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Both are beyond boring. I'd rather be home sick than attend some excruciatingly dull dancing in tights, or overwrought vocals in languages I don't understand, in "plays" I care nothing about. The few times I did attend when on school outings or with elders -- I saw many audience members sleeping, others who bolted from their seats as if in an Olympic sprint once the whole dreadful thing was over. What a waste of time.

Plainly hundreds of millions of Americans think the same, as these stodgy "companies" are going bankrupt across the country. Snorefest entertainment from an era long since gone, an era of fake platitudes and fake puritanical modesty that thankfully is never coming back.
Pray tell, what DO you enjoy?

Also, some of us actually *do* enjoy the opera and ballet. I suppose that makes me the type that subscribes to those long-lost fake platitudes and fake puritanical modesty, but whatever, I'll take it. It'll be fun to discuss how people generalize things they don't understand/don't enjoy with my equally stodgy friends at the Nobunny show tomorrow night.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:56 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,941,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post

classy one you are, USDefault

Old 03-20-2014, 06:15 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,278,783 times
Thanks for sharing. This is unfortunately happening all across the country (budget issues and declining ticket sales and donors)

VOSD also did a report. While its disappointing to see the loss, its could be another oppt for getting a new audience with a different vision on how these are produced.

San Diego Opera Leader Says His Audience Is Dying, Time to Close | Voice of San Diego

Old 03-20-2014, 06:33 PM

6,508 posts, read 7,545,217 times
Although not a fan of Opera, it is sad in a way.

The San Diego Symphony on the other hand seem to be doing a great job catering to younger and hipper audiences, their outdoor concert series are hits and Christmas functions are very well attended.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:41 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Yet some local venue can have some tatted dude holding his junk, wearing his pants to his ankles screaming obscenities to a full house. CULTURE SHIFT.

Can I get a twerk????

Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,796,433 times
They need to get with the times and market to younger people and make cooler events to draw people of all ages and from all sectors of society. That is the only way people will participate and the only way they will stay alive.

In Tijuana, they started events like 'Opera en la calle' where they have opera street fairs for people of all ages. They also have free classical music concerts integrated into musical festivals and involving local electronic and rock groups. I see young people of all ages enjoying classical music and this had drawn more support.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:47 PM

10 posts, read 9,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yet some local venue can have some tatted dude holding his junk, wearing his pants to his ankles screaming obscenities to a full house. CULTURE SHIFT.

Can I get a twerk????
Every generation has their counterculture movement. Also these are two different things. I probably would go to an opera or symphony once a year, but might meet friends for a drink at a bar that just happens to have a basement with a punk band playing there maybe twice a month. I don't care about the band either, I am just there because friends are there and we are having a good time.

The local venues rely on revenue from ticket sales and alcohol. These large Opera/Symphony productions rely on ticket sales but mostly fundraising from wealth families, trusts, etc. Without the fundraising, these productions would have been gone long ago. If there were more wealthy individuals/cultural non-profits in SD they might have an easier time fundraising and keeping the operation going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego