Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:57 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,378 times

Advertisements

Since most of us are not climatologists, lets refrain from making this thread a debate over climate change and use it solely to share photos and to exchange valuable information that may help our neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 01:19 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
It's a very scary situation impacting my family in Carlsbad. One school evacuated.

RGB, are you ok? A friend in Carlsbad is being evacuated too and no cell service.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 05-14-2014 at 01:32 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 01:22 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Well, if it makes you feel any better, massive fires are not normally an annual thing. Similar to the floods in Boulder, CO last year-those were the 100 year floods (as they are called) and the SD fires in the last decade are not that intense every year. My spouse is a SD native and the 2003 fires [many forget those (2200 homes burned down in the scripp's ranch area and other locations) in lieu of the 2007 ones which were also intense] were an anomaly. Also, the areas that burned completely are not likely to burn again for many decades [since there's nothing left to burn]. You are right though, usually being close to the coast means not really worrying about fires, historically. Typically, smaller/scattered/usually east county fires are in early october [when the Santa Ana's make their annual strong appearance], though we have smaller bouts with santa ana's at other times of the year [the super dry and windy weather, vs. semi dry with an ocean breeze], they usually don't come with fires. The lack of rain and extra warm weather that happens in certain years [La Nina years] is a factor. La Nina Vs. El Nino
Anyway, while fires in SD may be more frequent than every 100 years, they are not (annually) on the scale for which they are now famous. We'll see what happens this year. But between 2007 and 2014, we've had very mild summers and even a couple of relatively cooler winters.

Also, in the 2003 fires, my friend's family saw half of their street's homes burn to the ground and their home and the others were untouched. They had lived in their home for 30+ years and had never experienced fires there [scripp's ranch]. I was living in clairemont at that time and we had 3 days of ash falling on us. This fire in 4S ranch is pretty mild, so while the winds are a concern, the fact that the SDFD had planes and extra ground crew on it right away, is a good sign. The previous fires shows the major holes in the SDFD's budget and equipment/resources. I believe they are in better shape now and much more prepared.
Speaking of the Boulder floods there might be more flooding here starting this weekend. We had incredible snow fall up in the mountains this year and it is time for it to melt. Residents are definitely worried again.

Hope all of you stay safe. My folks live in Ramona and nearly lost their home in 2007.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:32 PM

Carlsbad fires seem to be moving westward.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:45 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Wow this **** is crazy

Old 05-14-2014, 01:53 PM

I'm taking in friends from Carlsbad tonight who live by Alga, Aviara.

Carlsbad residents can shelter at plaza camino real. Pets ok.

Bad traffic on 5. Everyone who lives in North San Diego County (but works up here) is leaving Orange County due to only one lane being opened in Camp Pendleton.at least where I work this is the case.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:56 PM

542 posts, read 692,085 times
Just saw a new 8 report where the firefighters were trying to save two houses in Carlsbad but had to give up to try to protect others. So sad.

Can't believe how fast this one has grown in just a few hours.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:16 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I suggest we share information and ask questions here; the season has started early, and it doesn't bode well for later in the year. Right now a brush fire is burning in Santee (not Lakeside, as had been reported on KOGO), in a park area with adjacent golf course. It looks like the wind is carrying the fire westward, away from surrounding homes. Let's hope they can put it out this evening when the winds die down. We don't want it to move further west, toward Mission Trails Park...
CFN - CALIFORNIA FIRE NEWS - CAL FIRE NEWS
real time pics and info. Including current Carlsbad/Pendleton fires.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:41 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
My Brother was made to Evacuate and hour ago
S!#h Just got real us!
He's headed to my house, and he's seeing people getting out of their cars to take pictures
If you're not Evacuating, Stay Off The DAMN Roads People

Old 05-14-2014, 02:52 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Yesterday was hotter and way more windy, I can't imagine if this had started yesterday. It's bad enough today, came on so fast, but everything is North County is so dry, so I guess it doesn't take much. I feel for my "neighbors" in Carlsbad and Rancho Bernardo. Things seem to be OK in Encinitas so far. But the commute home will be terrible. Might as well stay at work late or just hang out around here. The 5 will be impossible to travel on.

May is very unusual for this type of hot weather, usually we get "May gray" and fire season is late summer/early fall. Prayers going out to everyone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego