Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2007, 07:54 AM

24 posts, read 161,153 times

Advertisements

Hello all. We are in our late 30's with 2 kids and may have the opportunity to move to the area within the next year.
Just wondering if there are any transplants from up north who have seen improvements in their health thanks to the near perfect weather you experience in the San Diego area?
I would especially love to hear from any chronic Migraine Sufferers out there.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 08:55 AM

786 posts, read 3,923,547 times
Well the weather here is just about near perfect, but just a warning if you suffer from migraines. I have found the hot, dry, Santa Ana winds are a big trigger for a migraine. I get a migraine just about everytime we get them. We moved here from Ohio three years ago. We do seem to eat healthier since fresh fruits and veggies seem to be fresher and easily accessible, and it is nice to be able to walk outside all year round. The actual healthcare here I feel is much poorer quality here though (hospitals, doctors, dentists, etc.) - maybe because the cost of living is so high that doctors would prefer to live somewhere where their salary can go further?. Just my observations.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:26 AM

Thanks CrissCT
May I ask...do the Santa Ana winds come in and cause a big weather change once a year? It's the big barometric pressure changes that get me here in Canada, that and the massive temperature changes which can occur daily.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:28 AM

31 posts, read 142,915 times
The Santa Ana's blow in a couple of times a year with varying intensity. The big things with the winds is the low humidity blowing particles which can cause some people to have sinus problems and headaches.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:37 AM

Yes, it is a barometric change, but they happen more than once a year. They are most common in October (during that time you may find it happening 2 or more times per week), but they can happen at any time. They are also the same winds that cause the fires we had. Also if you have sinus problems nothing really ever dies here so you may find yourself having them year round instead of just spring/summer. My sinuses seem to bother me more here (but maybe it's just me getting older). Another weather note, we do have big temperature changes here throughout the day, starting out cool, getting warmer throughout the day and then cool again when the sun goes down. Biggest tip - always keep a sweatshirt on hand! Don't be discouraged though, it really is a nice place to live.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:01 PM

Thanks for your replies. I'm currently near the great lakes in Ontario Canada. We have 4 beautiful seasons plus all stuff that comes in between It's not uncommon for us to have a 20 degree temp change any given day.....and that is in celcius! My neurologist has told me I live in the worst part of the country for migraine sufferers. The incredible baramotic pressure changes, temp changes etc up here in Canada are just one of the many reasons we are investigating San Diego. I think I am ready to trade your Sana Ana winds for my thunderstorms and snow and ice, but I will keep reading.

Thanks again for all input.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:24 PM

I grew up on the other side of the lake in Western NY - I miss the changes in season but mostly I miss being close to family. I don't miss when it's still wintery outside and it's supposed to be spring though! Good luck in your decision.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:18 AM

20 posts, read 131,592 times
If you want to keep daily temperature changes to a minimum, you'll want to live closer to the coast.
Night/day temperature swings are much larger as you go inland. I'm about 10-12 miles from the coast. This time of year - low 40s at night and 60-70 during the day. It dipped into the high 30s last night. It can also get into the high 90s in the summer.

The area can also get large pressure variations in a short time (I'm somewhat of a weather bug and have a very accurate digital barometer). Last week the pressure dropped to 1007 mb and then rose to 1025 the next day as a low pressure system moved through and then away. However, we don't get systems like that through here all that often.

HTH

Old 12-15-2007, 06:28 PM

Thanks Joe
That's a very helpful tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego