Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 12:45 PM

244 posts, read 629,462 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon San Diego!

Before making the thread, I made a look around but couldn't find an actual thread about it so decided to make one with hopes of getting a few answers that I might already know, BUT coming from actual people from Canada (I am actually from Montreal, Quebec) who probably started with the same questions and made the move. Maybe it can enlighten me a little easier...

I turned 26 on Monday, I am currently in University here, getting myself my 9 missing University credits in January for the semester until March and in September start a first first certificate or a Bachelor, I am thinking because I want to study something I am sure it can lead me into my field I like.

My studies so far will be done in Montreal because of HIGH costs in the states if I am out of the country, I'm working hard to get into radio and tv hosting which is working fine for me here, but I want to make it more solid before I do anything. If I happen to move out to SD or surrounding areas, I could consider doing some school there, but I figured do school here then try to get summer or off season internships down there and expand my network.

I'm working to become a TV and radio host and even some acting, which here is working pretty good so far, been able to do a lot of great stuff which I am very fortunate.

IF it doesn't workout, my main objective while working with communities in either politics and local city counsils such as anything community related would be in Sports & Entertainment companies such as market developpement, media, customer/business partner relations, expansion, publicity and such but I'm not exactly sure what kind of degree/certificate could get me there to work for these type of companies. But I'm looking around asking people's perspective and opinion and what the studies are.

I enjoy a lot community work, has a big place and passion in me.

Going back on my first question, anyone from out of America came here with their degrees and were able to make a decent living and come in to work and live? How did the process go, how did you do it, where did you apply such as government and such? Even without and simply able to get visa or anything that made you able to work and live. I am very interested in knowing how you did it.

I'd be very interested, maybe the questions could enlighten me a little more!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 01:37 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Here is a thread with poll that may give you a feel of where most folks on City Data living in SD are from.

Surprisingly (at least to me), only 1 person responded Canada and I beleive he said he was actually born in Europe.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...n-diegans.html

Old 10-07-2014, 11:34 AM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Here is a thread with poll that may give you a feel of where most folks on City Data living in SD are from.

Surprisingly (at least to me), only 1 person responded Canada and I beleive he said he was actually born in Europe.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...n-diegans.html

Yeah . . that was moi. I moved from Canada to California 20 years ago - however, I'm not sure my experience is really useful to the OP, given their career path and current situation. I already had a job waiting for me - I transferred from our Toronto office. And I'm an engineer, thankfully one of the recognized professions under NAFTA that is eligible for a relatively-easy-to-get TN Visa. For the curious, the list is here (works both ways in case anyone is thinking of heading to Canada for the cheap education and "free" healthcare . . .)

Professions Covered by NAFTA | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada

To the OP, I would definitely agree with your decision to finish your studies in Canada . . .while costs have risen there too relative to when I was going to University, it's still WAAAAY cheaper than even the in-state public options here. In terms of Visa . . .if you can "steer" your studies into one of the TN categories, that makes the path so much easier.

Also . . .and you can find more detailed info here if you search "thinking of San Diego" and similar terms . . .tons of good advice about moving here . . .the biggest three of which are - cost of living is high, competition for jobs is high and salaries are generally lower than other major cities - so if you do come, come prepared with at least 6 months (preferably more) of living expenses and a TON of patience and optimism . ..

And lastly . . .since you are interested in TV/radio and maybe acting . . .you should be looking at LA . . .yes, lots more competition, but also a vastly bigger market than SD for that sort of thing . . .

Old 10-15-2014, 09:00 AM

244 posts, read 629,462 times
Thanks for the useful replies.

So unless your profession isn't recognized by the NAFTA getting a work visa is unlikely? I'm sure from your time to when you moved to now, it changed a whole lot and more difficult.

I had an idea after my 1st session of BAC, come to the USA do a session for the same price as students pay here in Montreal with a school international student exchange session program.

I'm pretty determined to at least try it for a year or two, doesn't workout fine at least I will have tried it.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:10 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuL View Post
Thanks for the useful replies.

So unless your profession isn't recognized by the NAFTA getting a work visa is unlikely? I'm sure from your time to when you moved to now, it changed a whole lot and more difficult.

I had an idea after my 1st session of BAC, come to the USA do a session for the same price as students pay here in Montreal with a school international student exchange session program.

I'm pretty determined to at least try it for a year or two, doesn't workout fine at least I will have tried it.
I highly recommend it. I did an exchange year in Lyon, France, during my university days. Living in a place is very different from visiting a place. It's an eye-opener and mind-opener.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:15 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
Yeah . . that was moi. I moved from Canada to California 20 years ago - however, I'm not sure my experience is really useful to the OP, given their career path and current situation. I already had a job waiting for me - I transferred from our Toronto office. And I'm an engineer, thankfully one of the recognized professions under NAFTA that is eligible for a relatively-easy-to-get TN Visa. For the curious, the list is here (works both ways in case anyone is thinking of heading to Canada for the cheap education and "free" healthcare . . .)
Engineers are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: