Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:25 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Dont be a smoker. YOU WILL be very unhappy
What kind of smoker CNYC ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 04:01 PM

9 posts, read 11,749 times
well, i'm both encouraged and discouraged. i think a share is about the best i'm going to be able to do. i did a quick scan of what's available on airbnb and there's not much in the $1500/mo and less category. i'll have a look at craigslist next. thanks, all, for the suggestions. and feel free keep em coming.
is surfing's miracle mile in cardiff or ob?
and, no, i don't smoke. like i said, i really don't have any (obvious?) bad habits.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:05 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Try airbnb.com. Has worked great for short-term rentals and vacations.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:40 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linters View Post
well, i'm both encouraged and discouraged. i think a share is about the best i'm going to be able to do. i did a quick scan of what's available on airbnb and there's not much in the $1500/mo and less category. i'll have a look at craigslist next. thanks, all, for the suggestions. and feel free keep em coming.
and, no, i don't smoke. like i said, i really don't have any (obvious?) bad habits.
The "miracle mile" is a stretch in Cardiff. Pretty much that stretch from Swami's to Seaside Reef. Encinitian can probably clarify a bit better than I can.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:47 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
well, we don't call it that but surfing is very much a part of the culture of Encinitas. Not everyone surfs but it feels that way. Haha
GMU is right that the surf breaks from the mile from Cardiff Reef to Swamis is a Mecca for surfers.
I don't care for OB. For me, Encinitas has the perfect mix of climate, culture, community and other factors that make it a great place to live and raise a family.
On your original question, $1500 is not going to go very far here.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:49 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Air BnB isn't an indicator of rents. It's vacation/short term rentals, and the prices are inflated to reflect that.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:25 AM

9 posts, read 11,749 times
i understand that about airbnb, but i do need a place that is furnished (which i'd forgotten to mention earlier) so it and, i guess, the craigslist share/roommate section are probably going to have to be my hunting grounds, happy or otherwise.

what's the difference in culture, etc., between encinitas and ob? i take it ob, being adjacent to pacific beach, would be more college kids and party oriented, right?

Old 10-17-2014, 08:46 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
i understand that about airbnb, but i do need a place that is furnished (which i'd forgotten to mention earlier) so it and, i guess, the craigslist share/roommate section are probably going to have to be my hunting grounds, happy or otherwise.

what's the difference in culture, etc., between encinitas and ob? i take it ob, being adjacent to pacific beach, would be more college kids and party oriented, right?
Yes it does have more of a party vibe, but also OB has the label of being more for "burned out hippie" types. People say portions of Encinitas (mostly Leucadia) are for artists and hippies, and that's true to an extent, but it's much more on the surface in OB. Some people like OB, don't get me wrong. It's just not for me with a young family and having grown up in North County. So take this for what it's worth. Others may disagree, but to me, OB feels more run down, dirty, more unsavory sections to it than Encinitas. Again, to each his own. Some people think Encinitas is squeaky clean and full of snobby rich people, but to me it's more about the surf culture and yoga and art and music.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:53 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Hey all: I'm a Rhode Islander hoping to escape my freezing neck of the woods for jan - april, more or less, and, as a surfer, I'm hoping to find a place anywhere from Ocean Beach up to a little past Encinitas, with Encinitas being my ideal location. I only have $1k to $1.5k / mo to spend. I know, I know, a pittance in the scheme of all things SD, but what I want to know is: do I have any chance at all of finding a place, if not of my own, then perhaps a share? And, if so, how best could I accomplish such a thing from all the way across the country? Or is it even possible?

In terms of being a tenant, I'd like to think there are few better. I have no unseemly habits, could come w/ my little non-sheeding dog or not, am a gainfully employed writer who works at home (and could thus take care of someone else's pets, if they had any), and all I really want to do is eat, sleep, write and surf. I'm a little beyond middle aged and very very laid back. What do you think? Think the area has a room for one like me?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
I lived in Orange County on $1500/mo back in 2010-2011.. granted, it's a higher cost of living area but that might be washed out with inflation.

I don't think you'll be getting a 1br on that budget.. look to rent a room:

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

My rent was only $600/mo. I also didn't have debt and drove a paid off car with cheap insurance and relatively high gas mileage.

As for furniture, I bought a simple folding bed from Ikea and a folding table from Goodwill plus a simple chair from Walmart. Total cost: about $100.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:59 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
YES but you will be living in a crappy apartment complex. Just look up reviews for ESSEX HEIGHTS Apartments.
It's unfortunate that Essex Heights apparently went downhill. I lived there from 2000 to 2003 and other than parking being an issue, it was a good value in a great location. I'd walk to the YMCA to work out and ride my bike to the beach all the time. I guess I'm not surprised that it went downhill. I paid $880 for a 2br/1ba for most of that 3 year stretch until moving to Carlsbad in 2003. I assume that rent is much higher there now (I'm afraid to even try to look it up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego