Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 08:30 PM

20 posts, read 25,669 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Hollywood but the job would take me to either Lake Forest or Carlsbad.

If Lake Forest, then I'd look to live in either Huntington Beach or Newport Beach.

If Carlsbad, then I'd look to live in either Pacific Beach or (Suggestions...???)

About me, just your typical 26 straight single white guy who works 9-5 and takes it easy during the week and have fun on the weekends. Originally from the east coast, I'm mostly looking for a place to enjoy the SoCal lifestyle by the beach. Hoping to find a place with lots of other young professionals and hopefully spark up some romance (read seriously date.)

I like to surf, hike, bike, ski/snowboard, enjoy craft beer happy hours. I'm more of a homebody but go crazy if I don't have access to good nightlife or tons of options.

Any thoughts on where I would enjoy living more?

EDIT: I've visited both, thought San Diego was great but a little too slow paced. Worried OC may be harder to be happier socially. If I had the money and choice of location I would pick something like Santa Monica/Venice. I think it's the best of both worlds, beach and urban living, with great hiking close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:19 PM

79 posts, read 150,901 times
I'd be more concerned about your commute from either locations than whether to live in SD or OC.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:39 PM

20 posts, read 25,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrrtl218 View Post
I'd be more concerned about your commute from either locations than whether to live in SD or OC.
Haha I hear you, I just want to live by the beach with other young professionals, 40-45 minute would be rough but doable.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:08 PM

79 posts, read 150,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeinTreeD View Post
Haha I hear you, I just want to live by the beach with other young professionals, 40-45 minute would be rough but doable.
I personally would prefer Pacific Beach given I'm 27 and like to party on the weekends and do all that but I'm biased because I'm from SD. I'm not the biggest fan of Huntington Beach (always seemed kind of ghetto when I've been there) but I do think Newport is nice just not sure how exciting it is compared to PB. Plus outside of PB, you still have all of San Diego which I think would be more enjoyable than the rest of the OC.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:34 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Lake Forrest from HB requires taking the 405, going through the Orange Crush. Not recommended. Likewise Carlsbad from PB, while a reverse commute, is not wise especially on Fridays.

HB is not ghetto, but it draws idiots from all over Southern California especially during the summer.

Hiking better in W. LA over OC, no way! I call bs as I hike a lot.

There is a great singles scene in Newport, but you need cash to play in that area.

Moreover, you posted this in a SD forum and so you should expect bias. Remember too you can also party in LBC/LA too when living in OC, so there are many variables. There's a bit more ambition here in OC in general but the vibe is not that different from SD; tons of surfers.

Go to wherever you want but limit your commute.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:38 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeinTreeD View Post
Currently living in Hollywood but the job would take me to either Lake Forest or Carlsbad.

If Lake Forest, then I'd look to live in either Huntington Beach or Newport Beach.

If Carlsbad, then I'd look to live in either Pacific Beach or (Suggestions...???)

About me, just your typical 26 straight single white guy who works 9-5 and takes it easy during the week and have fun on the weekends. Originally from the east coast, I'm mostly looking for a place to enjoy the SoCal lifestyle by the beach. Hoping to find a place with lots of other young professionals and hopefully spark up some romance (read seriously date.)

I like to surf, hike, bike, ski/snowboard, enjoy craft beer happy hours. I'm more of a homebody but go crazy if I don't have access to good nightlife or tons of options.

Any thoughts on where I would enjoy living more?

EDIT: I've visited both, thought San Diego was great but a little too slow paced. Worried OC may be harder to be happier socially. If I had the money and choice of location I would pick something like Santa Monica/Venice. I think it's the best of both worlds, beach and urban living, with great hiking close by.
Sounds like you'd probably like HB then. You're close enough to Santa Monica, and can visit SD every once in a while.

Personally, I love HB, since it's partially where I grew up and the vibes up there could probably fit you best with surf culture.

Carlsbad is nice, too. I'd imagine, if you had kids or preferred a slower paced life, then SD is it.

You want young, modern, chique.. that's Santa Monica and HB is somewhat of a halfway medium (probably 1/4th). O.C. is very conservative, overall.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:43 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Neither OC or SD is remotely close to the vibe you will get in Santa Monica.

OC will have more young professionals (I assume you are not referring to professional bartenders) than SD as well as more traffic and more of a suburbia feel, though if you do not mind driving Belmont Shores is relatively close and you can always drive up to Manhattan Beach and elsewhere in more fast paced LA on weekends.

Huntington Beach is definitely more of a surfer vibe (I happen to favor the Huntington Harbor/Sunset Beach area) whereas Newport is definitely far more status oriented (snooty) and don't be surprised if people volunteer to tell you how great they think they are and women come out and ask you on your first date how much you make and what car you drive (to determine if it is enough and if they want to continue seeing you)....Laguna Beach is a nice town, though it will probably be more expensive than Huntington and make the LA weekend option less desirable (though you would be closer to SD).

San Diego/PB is more laid back and there certainly is a very good party and beach scene for someone your age; however, iyou are far less likely to run into motivated, driven, career oriented professionals in that area. Not that they do not exist--just in far fewer numbers than in OC and Santa Monica. Yeah, there are more in La Jolla and UTC but neither area is known for its nightlife and it sounds like the pace in La Jolla and UTC (as would be the case in North County) would be too slow for you and bore you to death, being an ex East Coaster and moving from LA.

Santa Monica is the best of all worlds for an ex East Coaster (beach, urban flavor, professionals)....you will be sacrificing something by choosing OC or SD by using and comparing them to Santa Monica--you just have to determine what you want to sacrifice should you move to either.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-21-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 10-21-2014, 10:45 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
If I was in your place and worked in Carlsbad, I wouldn't want to live any further South than Del Mar. Have you checked out Solana Beach and Leucadia? Downtown Carlsbad even provides some pretty good night life. You could still go down to P.B. once a week if you desired, but that just sounds like you're choosing a brutal commute when you could find some good places to go out closer to Carlsbad. Just another option to consider.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:24 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Neither OC or SD is remotely close to the vibe you will get in Santa Monica.

OC will have more young professionals (I assume you are not referring to professional bartenders) than SD as well as more traffic and more of a suburbia feel, though if you do not mind driving Belmont Shores is relatively close and you can always drive up to Manhattan Beach and elsewhere in more fast paced LA on weekends.

Huntington Beach is definitely more of a surfer vibe (I happen to favor the Huntington Harbor/Sunset Beach area) whereas Newport is definitely far more status oriented (snooty) and don't be surprised if people volunteer to tell you how great they think they are and women come out and ask you on your first date how much you make and what car you drive (to determine if it is enough and if they want to continue seeing you)....Laguna Beach is a nice town, though it will probably be more expensive than Huntington and make the LA weekend option less desirable (though you would be closer to SD).

San Diego/PB is more laid back and there certainly is a very good party and beach scene for someone your age; however, iyou are far less likely to run into motivated, driven, career oriented professionals in that area. Not that they do not exist--just in far fewer numbers than in OC and Santa Monica. Yeah, there are more in La Jolla and UTC but neither area is known for its nightlife and it sounds like the pace in La Jolla and UTC (as would be the case in North County) would be too slow for you and bore you to death, being an ex East Coaster and moving from LA.

Santa Monica is the best of all worlds for an ex East Coaster (beach, urban flavor, professionals)....you will be sacrificing something by choosing OC or SD by using and comparing them to Santa Monica--you just have to determine what you want to sacrifice should you move to either.
Well said!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:57 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Carlsbad Night life is not that bad, its just more sophisticated. You're also near the beach, hiking and everything else you mentioned living in Carlsbad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego