Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 04:53 PM

45 posts, read 109,933 times

Advertisements

I've lived in North Park/South Park for 12 years and can't believe I just discovered this neighborhood. It seems perfect for my family. We have a 2 year old daughter and another one the way. Based on what I've read and seen the advantages for us are:

(a) cute homes- almost all of them seemed well maintained.
(b) Somewhat removed from traffic/hustle/bustle of NP, NH, shops, etc. (i.e. quieter/safer/established streets).
(c) small enough to have a sense of community
(d) great location- still central and good access to freeways and local shops/restaurants.
(e) quick access to SDSU area (there's a magnet school we're hoping to get our daughter into when she hits kindergarten age).
(f) Possibly a little more affordable than North Park?

Can anyone give their perspective on the area? Currently we live in NP, so we're used urban living- "shady" characters in the alley, lots of renters/high turnover, and crime...as well as the good: parks, walkability, community, quick access to freeways, etc.

1. Is it much different in Talmadge? There's obviously less walkability, but tt seems pretty quite as long as you stay within the gates.
2. Are there any disadvantages? Traffic, crime, not good for kids? Anything I'm not thinking of?
3. Silly question, but where do people grocery shop? I'm used to Trader Joes/Sprouts? Is Vons in NH the closest? Would Windmill Farms in Del Cerro be the closest "health food" store?
4. Is the neighborhood welcoming of young families?
5. Any cool updates/plans for the neighborhood?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 05:10 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Pros:
Super cute and larger homes on great canyon lots with mature landscaping
Great sense of community
Very central and easy access on and off the mesa
Home prices are less than Kensington next door

Cons:
Adjacent to some very rough areas that bleed a bit into the first 1-2 blocks north of ECB
ECB is nasty....
City Heights is nasty....
the east side of Talmadge is full of nasty apartments and is pretty contiguous with the rest of the nicer neighborhood inside the gates
the nice houses are $$$$$, many are 700k++
most of your neighbors are DINKS / retired / childless couples (meaning no one for your kid to play with)
no decent park space for kids without driving
no decent restaurants for kids without driving

Check out El Cerrito and Rolando as well, pretty much the same list of pros / cons but at lower cost in some cases. I have lived in the in the Rolando area about a mile away for 10 years, I have 2 kids 6 and 3 who go to school in San Carlos which is where we will end up probably next year.

I started out thinking I was a hip urban parent but after 20 years in central SD and the last ten raising kids in SD I am totally done with the urban setting. It's not a very kid friendly city IMO. OK when the kids are small but I wouldn't want to spend big bucks on a vintage home there. North Park was great before kids but at this stage in my life it's all about school, commute times, home quality, neighbors, not bars, restaurants, walkability and cute homes anymore.

That said, Rolando and the areas to the east in La Mesa are recently becoming full of new families because the same cute homes cost about 50% less than Talmadge or Kensington, is a bit more family oriented and doesn't have such acute social problems of the other parts of central SD.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 10-30-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 03-17-2016, 02:36 AM

121 posts, read 336,760 times
Anyone else have other thoughts, insight, or opinions on Talmadge? I'm going through the same phase as Kmd413 (just discovering Talmadge and seeing so much upside).

Old 03-17-2016, 09:49 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
I know the neighborhood well. Here are the downsides:

There is great walkability within the neighborhood. But as we say here, it's great for walking, there just isn't anyplace to go. Same goes for bicycling. We wanted to improve our bikeability, but the City blocked those plans. You can't leave the neighborhood safely on a bicycle.

Neighborhood has absolutely no park space. If the City were ever to rectify that problem, it would have to buy land. However, buying land may be beyond the City's will and capability.

Crime issues bleed north from El Cajon Boulevard. However, like most of San Diego, it isn't violent crime. It's mostly car prowls, car thefts, and package thefts.

The Boulevard's business community has no interest in catering to what the residents of Talmadge would like to buy so there is no neighborhood serving commercial district.

No nearby supermarkets. The Vons in Normal Heights works well enough, but it is small. El Super in City Heights, though large, does not carry a lot of items you would expect to find in a full service supermarket and the checkout lines are a form of abuse. The Vons in the College Area is the best choice but somewhat distant. Trader Joes at College and Montezuma will be opening soon. However, that areas is quite congested and it may be difficult to drive there and shop.

Upsides:

Appearance - Most homeowners maintain their properties. A majority of houses have their garages behind the homes which creates a more pleasantly walkable neighborhood. Same goes for the plentiful street trees. Many of the trees are still small, but are growing.

Strong sense of community through email and community organizations such as the MAD, the Block Party, Neighborhood Watch, and Community Planning Group. These bodies provide leadership that works to actively protect and promote the neighborhood's interests. There are lot of civic minded people with professional skills willing to volunteer on behalf of the neighborhood.

Housing probably costs 30% less than Kensington.

A coffee shop may be coming to the neighborhood by 2018 to provide the first neighborhood serving commercial venue. However, it may be located too close to El Cajon Boulevard to succeed. We'll see.

Schools - I believe many parents are able to get their children into Hardy Elementary. West Talmadge has access to Franklin Elementary in Kensington which is attracting more and more local children.

The area has good freeway access. However, because the access is good, it generates congestion with a lot of cut through traffic along that route - Aldine Drive.

The Mid-City YMCA is close, close enough to walk to, but the route, along Aldine Drive, isn't safe because of the traffic volume, so you must drive. It's a very nice YMCA, but crowded. The demand was far greater than anticipated.

Talmadge is a short drive to Kensington, Normal Heights and North Park. In fact, if you are willing to invest the effort, Talmadge residents can walk to Kensington and even Normal Heights for special events.

The neighborhood has plenty of children. It's not quite a 1950s Levittown full of children, but your children will have other kids they can play with. The issue is that because many kids don't attend the same schools, they don't meet each other at school. And because there is no park, kids can't start friendships by meeting and playing with each other at the park. However, email is used to organize play dates for young children which can then be the genesis for later friendships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego