Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:50 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times

Advertisements

One thing I have noticed is that the foreclosures are bringing in more realistic homeowners. Those that are purchasing now have good/great credit and aren't caught up in the snobbery of keeping up with the Jones's. They want a nice safe place to live and have the income to maintain what they own.

They use their Vons/Ralphs cards and coupons from Get1Free magazine.

Nothing wrong with the cookie cutter homes, if they are maintained and filled with good people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:17 AM

489 posts, read 1,956,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdca21 View Post
Eastlake has the highest foreclosure rate in state, maybe the nation. The property values as a whole might be questionable in the next five to ten years. With its close proximity to Mexico, its urban living with an attempt to be upscale, but it doesn't quite feel organic. People seem to be trying too hard, somewhat indifferent and disconnected to each other; there's no real sense of community from the people that you would get from communities like Rancho San Diego, Hilllcrest, or Carlsbad. And, it seems like people tend to drive like idiots in the area, but that maybe just me. But if cookie-cutter urban living is your bag, go for it...
I love the area and have lived there 17 years but I do know what you mean by "trying to be upscale" (and trying too hard). . . . . it's just not. Otay Ranch Town Center is testimony to that--There's a certain wannabe atmosphere about that mall that I don't care for--and so many of the "upscale" stores have gone belly up--it is slowly downscaling with Best Buy, H&M, etc. I expect that trend to continue.

Go across the street from that mall to Wallmart and business is hopping. That gives you a clue right there of how "upscale" Eastlake is (or is not).

Old 07-15-2010, 02:12 AM

5 posts, read 40,773 times
Default Eastlake Townhome Communities

I'm interested in buying a townhome in the Eastlake area. One of my criteria is a very large lap pool -- 25 meters would be ideal. Which of the communities have the biggest? Which communities are the most financially stable, best run, nicely landscaped and and best maintained? Your feedback greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:47 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Nothing wrong with the cookie cutter homes, if they are maintained and filled with good people.
Well-said, MissNM. Ultimately it is the people that make the neighborhood a great one and not so much the housing stock.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:31 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,576,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
I love the area and have lived there 17 years but I do know what you mean by "trying to be upscale" (and trying too hard). . . . . it's just not. Otay Ranch Town Center is testimony to that--There's a certain wannabe atmosphere about that mall that I don't care for--and so many of the "upscale" stores have gone belly up--it is slowly downscaling with Best Buy, H&M, etc. I expect that trend to continue.

Go across the street from that mall to Wallmart and business is hopping. That gives you a clue right there of how "upscale" Eastlake is (or is not).
You def got a point my friend.Remember when it first opened?The only "regular" type of stores where about Starbucks,Macys,and Zumies.That's about it.I really like this post you did.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:56 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post

In this economy, everyone shops at Walmart. The presence of the Walmart shows that the people in Eastlake are savvy enough to pay significantly less for the same products that people in true upscale areas pay too much for (we all need toilet paper and some people actually buy cleaning products to clean their own homes!). I don't think the Walmart says anything negative about Eastlake at all.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:34 AM

105 posts, read 298,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdca21 View Post
Eastlake has the highest foreclosure rate in state, maybe the nation. The property values as a whole might be questionable in the next five to ten years. With its close proximity to Mexico, its urban living with an attempt to be upscale, but it doesn't quite feel organic. People seem to be trying too hard, somewhat indifferent and disconnected to each other; there's no real sense of community from the people that you would get from communities like Rancho San Diego, Hilllcrest, or Carlsbad. And, it seems like people tend to drive like idiots in the area, but that maybe just me. But if cookie-cutter urban living is your bag, go for it...
You sound angry and bitter. I'm glad you're not my neighbor.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:33 AM

489 posts, read 1,956,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
In this economy, everyone shops at Walmart. The presence of the Walmart shows that the people in Eastlake are savvy enough to pay significantly less for the same products that people in true upscale areas pay too much for (we all need toilet paper and some people actually buy cleaning products to clean their own homes!). I don't think the Walmart says anything negative about Eastlake at all.
I agree that it doesn't say anything negative about Eastlake. What it does say is that Eastlake is middle class. Most Eastlakians are not going to pay $80 for a pair of jeans for their 2-year-old toddler at "Gigi's" after having their car parked by a valet--A Sav-A-Lot and 99 Cent Only Store would truthfully be much more in the ballpark in this area than "Gila Rut Aveda Spa" and "Justice". We're a great area, but I don't think that mall "fits" the area--never has.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:25 AM

23 posts, read 116,217 times
I get why they added that mall...it takes some of the stigma off of Eastlake being in Chula Vista...they want the north of the 8 look and feel in the neighborhood. I can't blame them. I know when my friends from where I grew up(north of the 8) first saw that mall they were like "wow, ok they are making this area upscale"

Old 07-22-2010, 07:43 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
I like Chula Vista well some parts. Both Chula Vista and National City have nice areas and then some not so nice areas. I mean it's not like Compton or anything but it isn't great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego