Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:41 PM

8 posts, read 6,486 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, my first post here. My sister myself and our parents (age range 38-91) are renting a beach house in Mission Beach for the month of February 2015. We're looking to get the most out of the city and vicinity. We'd like to ask locals how to get the best bang for our bucks.

My sister is a classically trained opera singer/ pastry chef (also sings pop stuff ala Sarah McLachlin), who loves interesting quality cuisine. She'd like to check out LA, maybe go to an open night jam/ open mic.

I'm a Registered Massage Therapist who would love to learn surfing, and I love to play blues guitar, sing and write songs. Also like spas for relaxing/ therapeutic massages - even cheaper student massage clinics, I'm not picky. I like mountain biking and swimming, exploring places in the water that look untouched. Love the beach.

Our parents are a bit older and probably just want to take it easy and enjoy the sun, a bit of shopping and buy groceries at a reasonable price LOL.

So those are some of our varied interests. So, with that in mind, what are some of the must see attractions you guys would recommend? Any spots off the beaten path that are real gems that only locals know about? Any and all input is welcomed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 09:53 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,601,261 times
For an entire month - you'll have a lot of time to do lots of stuff! If you search you can find more threads on what to do in San Diego. For a start, look in this thread for day-trip suggestions, and grab whatever seems interesting to you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...ggestions.html

February is in our "wet" (we wish!) season. So you may be dealing with rain (again, we wish!). Just mentioning it ...

Old 11-21-2014, 10:19 PM

813 posts, read 1,273,553 times
Here is a thread I had started a while back about free and low cost things to do, and there are some amazing suggestions. A month is a good amount of time to spend exploring. Have a blast!

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...gs-do-san.html

Old 11-22-2014, 08:59 AM

441 posts, read 534,714 times
Just wanted to mention half-off museum month is February: Museum Month: Half-Off Admission - The Official Travel Resource for the San Diego Region We did this three years ago; combined with senior admission prices, it's a great bargain.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:00 PM

4,542 posts, read 12,410,358 times
I make this same recommendation often, but I'll make it again. For about $5 you can get an entrance pass for one vehicle into Point Loma Light House (Cabrillo Point).

The point has an excellent view of the bay. This will allow you to view sailboats, cruise ships (probably docked), navy ships (probably docked), the skyline, the bridge, the North Island Naval Air station which may or may not have planes taking off and landing.

There are of course walking trails of the old shore gun batteries and the light house itself. I believe there are also trails down the hill side, but that may be too much for your parents.

Choose a warm day, bring a windbreaker, perhaps a warm thermos of coffee, and a blanket either for sitting on, or wrapping around legs. Buy lunch on your way and bring it with you.

As much as your parents may want to take it easy and enjoy the sun, they may enjoy taking it easy and enjoying the sun with a different view.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:25 PM

441 posts, read 534,714 times
I'm not a local but hope to be one soon. We've spent a lot of time in the area and Cabrillo Point is probably my favorite spot of all. One of the parents should be able to get a lifetime Senior Pass for $10 which will allow you to go as often as you like. America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

I also enjoyed Del Mar; that might be good for the seniors - restaurants, shopping, and a beautiful park overlooking the beach and ocean all within a few blocks. Another fun thing to do is the farmers markets - Hillcrest, Little Italy, Ocean Beach are three of the biggest; La Jolla is also enjoyable.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:18 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,215,930 times
I'd visit Borrego Springs, in eastern San Diego. In February, while the nights are far cooler than coastal SD, it's average daytime high is 73F, so quite warm in comparison to the rest of the county, since it's in the desert. It's breathtakingly beautiful--the huge mountains, the desert flora, and the fact that you can see the Milky Way on a clear night. If you like being surrounded by nature instead of city sounds, and if you love hiking, then that's the place to be.

Springtime sees a huge bloom in flowers in the desert. While you're going in late winter, it's possible you'll see this, since the rainy season in SoCal is in winter, and the warmth starts to arrive in the desert around the time you're going.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:30 PM

You can keep track of wildflower possibilities here: Desert Wildflower Reports for Southern California by DesertUSA

And if you go out there, you might want to also visit the sculptures: http://www.galletameadows.com/

Old 11-23-2014, 09:24 PM

8 posts, read 6,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
For an entire month - you'll have a lot of time to do lots of stuff! If you search you can find more threads on what to do in San Diego. For a start, look in this thread for day-trip suggestions, and grab whatever seems interesting to you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...ggestions.html

February is in our "wet" (we wish!) season. So you may be dealing with rain (again, we wish!). Just mentioning it ...
Thanks, great link - good ideas !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
Here is a thread I had started a while back about free and low cost things to do, and there are some amazing suggestions. A month is a good amount of time to spend exploring. Have a blast!

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...gs-do-san.html

Another excellent link - this is good good stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
Just wanted to mention half-off museum month is February: Museum Month: Half-Off Admission - The Official Travel Resource for the San Diego Region We did this three years ago; combined with senior admission prices, it's a great bargain.

Dad is a big history buff, esp Civil War - pretty sure I was named partially after Robert E Lee (and we're from Toronto, Canada lol ) He'll appreciate that
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I make this same recommendation often, but I'll make it again. For about $5 you can get an entrance pass for one vehicle into Point Loma Light House (Cabrillo Point).

The point has an excellent view of the bay. This will allow you to view sailboats, cruise ships (probably docked), navy ships (probably docked), the skyline, the bridge, the North Island Naval Air station which may or may not have planes taking off and landing.

There are of course walking trails of the old shore gun batteries and the light house itself. I believe there are also trails down the hill side, but that may be too much for your parents.

Choose a warm day, bring a windbreaker, perhaps a warm thermos of coffee, and a blanket either for sitting on, or wrapping around legs. Buy lunch on your way and bring it with you.

As much as your parents may want to take it easy and enjoy the sun, they may enjoy taking it easy and enjoying the sun with a different view.

Man this Cabrillo Point will get checked out for sure, everyone's talking about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
I'm not a local but hope to be one soon. We've spent a lot of time in the area and Cabrillo Point is probably my favorite spot of all. One of the parents should be able to get a lifetime Senior Pass for $10 which will allow you to go as often as you like. America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

I also enjoyed Del Mar; that might be good for the seniors - restaurants, shopping, and a beautiful park overlooking the beach and ocean all within a few blocks. Another fun thing to do is the farmers markets - Hillcrest, Little Italy, Ocean Beach are three of the biggest; La Jolla is also enjoyable.

I hear ya, I'd like to look at some real estate myself while I'm here. I've had a 2 year long term plan to live in San Diego, this trip is a good start. And thx for the farmers markets, that's my thing, fresh healthy vegetables, support the local farmers, live a healthy life style !! Good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I'd visit Borrego Springs, in eastern San Diego. In February, while the nights are far cooler than coastal SD, it's average daytime high is 73F, so quite warm in comparison to the rest of the county, since it's in the desert. It's breathtakingly beautiful--the huge mountains, the desert flora, and the fact that you can see the Milky Way on a clear night. If you like being surrounded by nature instead of city sounds, and if you love hiking, then that's the place to be.

Springtime sees a huge bloom in flowers in the desert. While you're going in late winter, it's possible you'll see this, since the rainy season in SoCal is in winter, and the warmth starts to arrive in the desert around the time you're going.
We're going to rent a Corolla (possibly from Dirt Cheap Car Rentals), so a trip inland to Borrego Springs will be on the agenda (maybe later Feb for more blossoming to see right?) Thanks for that !!

Well you guys are awesome, keep them coming. I lived 2 years in Virginia going to Liberty University, and funny enough made more friends from California than any other state - I just naturally gravitated to them. Man it would be cool to live in San Diego - one step at a time tho right haha !!! Cheers, Bob

Old 11-23-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUBobby View Post
We're going to rent a Corolla (possibly from Dirt Cheap Car Rentals), so a trip inland to Borrego Springs will be on the agenda ...
Beware "Dirt Cheap Car Rentals" and their ilk. They will possibly nickel-and-dime you to a huge bill. Be sure mileage isn't an added charge, which is how they will get your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego