Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2014, 09:23 PM

121 posts, read 336,760 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in the Shadowridge Vista area of North County. I work in Carlsbad, and my wife will be working in La Jolla soon. We plan on relocating to a new apartment somewhere in between.

What areas should we be looking at, in between the two areas, from a commuting perspective? We've enjoyed our stay in Shadowridge as we think it is a good balance of safety, proximity, and cost (good overall value).

Overall, we are new to SD, but initial research has my eye on Carmel Valley, as it would be close to the I-5. We wouldn't mind being somewhere inland if we can have decent commute times and save some money on rental.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 08:29 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,854,001 times
Encinitas certainly fits the bill from a commuting standpoint and safety too and maybe from a budget perspective also, since there are lots of apartments and townhouses around. More so than in Solana Beach or Del Mar I mean.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:07 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
My wife who is a broker here for many years recommends Carmel Valley or Rancho Pennasquitos for overall value. We lease a condo in Sabre Springs. Cost will be higher in CV and it may avoid the westbound 56 which can be a bear in the morning if your commute times are 8-5. I commute 6a and 8p so I miss all that living in Sabre Springs. Encinitas will be more expense but if you can swing it, that would also be my first choice.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:39 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
The commute from Rancho Penasquitos to La Jolla is not trivial. I'd suggest either Carmel Valley or Encinitas over Rancho Penasquitos, for that reason. Probably Carmel Valley, to minimize your wife's commute since she'll be driving in rush hour traffic and you, heading to Carlsbad, will be going opposite traffic.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:49 AM

121 posts, read 336,760 times
Reviving this old thread:

What are everyone's thoughts on Mission Valley, considering commutes to Carlsbad and coastal La Jolla? We're a mid-20's couple currently living in Shadowridge Vista in North County, and we find ourselves wishing we were closer to the action.

The coastal towns between Carlsbad and La Jolla have been high on our list, but they can be on the expensive side and have limited newer and upgraded apartment options (self-inflicted limitation, but probably no compromises here). Even then, I think moving a bit closer to San Diego proper would be a nice change of pace and allow us to experience more of what SD has to offer.

Mission Valley seems to be the furthest south that we should go for the commute. We understand Mission Valley isn't where the action is, but being close to some trolley stations and being in the vicinity where Uber would be a viable option should be a big plus.

Is there anything else that we should consider or account for?

Old 05-27-2015, 01:15 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,244 times
I don't get the "where the action is" line. You live in Carlsbad, you want to move to places like Carmel Valley, so how did 'where the action is' ever even come up? If you think Mission Valley isn't close to the action, why would you ever think of moving to Carmel Valley? It's pretty much families and schools and not much else.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:18 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I don't get the "where the action is" line. You live in Carlsbad, you want to move to places like Carmel Valley, so how did 'where the action is' ever even come up? If you think Mission Valley isn't close to the action, why would you ever think of moving to Carmel Valley? It's pretty much families and schools and not much else.
They live in the Shadowridge section on Vista right now. If they want to be near the "action" they need to be in one of the coastal towns IMO

Old 05-27-2015, 01:26 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times
People in their 20's enjoy living near PB, MB and Downtown for the bar scene. Maybe try Clairemont Mesa?

Then when you're in your 40's with kids, and no longer want to bar-hop until 2am, and don't really want to live around all that noise, you move up to North County.

So the OP is doing it backwards, but trying to make the change.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:35 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
People in their 20's enjoy living near PB, MB and Downtown for the bar scene. Maybe try Clairemont Mesa?

Then when you're in your 40's with kids, and no longer want to bar-hop until 2am, and don't really want to live around all that noise, you move up to North County.

So the OP is doing it backwards, but trying to make the change.
I'm in my late 20's. Encinitas gives a good combination and healthy balance for what I'm looking for at this point in my life.

If the OP is 24, then maybe he's still down to party every weekend until 2am. But if he's 28 he might not want that as much anymore. That's why I recommend coastal north county. It offers enough to do on the weekends if you want to party without being excessive like PB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego