Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:08 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times

Advertisements

I have to admit I haven't taken the trolley anywhere in ages, but I have taken the bus to downtown. I didn't feel any of these dangers that Funky Monk is referring to, so either A) thugs and gangsters took particular delight in staring down Funkymonk, or B) The problems he mentions are particularly localized to certain routes and lines and is not a problem over most of the system. The route I was traveling which picks up a lot of passengers in City Heights seemed perfectly safe though very crowded so it wasn't like I was commuting along an exclusive, chi-chi, Silk-stocking route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I went car-free for a while and I still do bicycle everywhere.

The public transportation in SD is very bad, it's inefficient and inhospitable. Places that are right on the trolley route are easy to get to, but if you want to go anywhere away from this narrow line, it will probobly mean a couple bus transfers and a couple hours.

Also the trolleys are rough and mean. There's constantly gangsters, drug addicts and all kinds of total scumbags getting on there, bringing a dirty, ugly, aggressive vibe that's hard to ignore. Especially when the trolley gos through downtown and Southeast SD, and ESPECIALLY the blue line going through the southern suburbs. You'll see lot's of total thugs and gangsters that act belligerent, like they just crawled out of prison and they will stare people right in the eye and stat messing with them on the trolley, be alert and ready to defend yourself. I've never seen the same level of aggession and tension on public transportation like I have in SD.

I am about to go car free again, because the ridiculous cost of living out here is forcing me into selling my vehicle just to stay off the steets. I am going to HEAVILY rely on my bicycle to avoid getting on the busses and trolleys. And if I do get on the trolley i'm going to be armed with a knife for self-defense, I don't want to, but it is necessarry for safety. Too bad the cops in SD don't have a better handle on the situation.......

It really is a bad scene on the trolley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:48 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
I traveled bus and trolley for years, yes there are some sketchoids, but that is to be expected, I never once had a problem. Try taking the LA metro from Long Beach to LA (through Watts) at 1AM if you want to see gangsters on the train, ditto the local 1 from Riverdale Bronx to Midtown Manhattan via Washington Heights and Harlem.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:50 PM

17 posts, read 69,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I went car-free for a while and I still do bicycle everywhere.

The public transportation in SD is very bad, it's inefficient and inhospitable. Places that are right on the trolley route are easy to get to, but if you want to go anywhere away from this narrow line, it will probobly mean a couple bus transfers and a couple hours.

Also the trolleys are rough and mean. There's constantly gangsters, drug addicts and all kinds of total scumbags getting on there, bringing a dirty, ugly, aggressive vibe that's hard to ignore. Especially when the trolley gos through downtown and Southeast SD, and ESPECIALLY the blue line going through the southern suburbs. You'll see lot's of total thugs and gangsters that act belligerent, like they just crawled out of prison and they will stare people right in the eye and stat messing with them on the trolley, be alert and ready to defend yourself. I've never seen the same level of aggession and tension on public transportation like I have in SD.

I am about to go car free again, because the ridiculous cost of living out here is forcing me into selling my vehicle just to stay off the steets. I am going to HEAVILY rely on my bicycle to avoid getting on the busses and trolleys. And if I do get on the trolley i'm going to be armed with a knife for self-defense, I don't want to, but it is necessarry for safety. Too bad the cops in SD don't have a better handle on the situation.......

It really is a bad scene on the trolley.
Hi! Thanks for your commentary, thanks a lot. You help me very much in seeing different points of view on the same question. I had never thought of going on a bus with a knife "just in case"... The only "weapon" I have is my chilli spray and I never used it, it's just for the night, if it happens that for any reason I go back home alone. Well, I live in a place where a bank robbery is some scary breaking news... But big cities are definitely another world. On the other hand, I lived for one year in Madrid, which is a big city - and I could manage with the risks of a big city- but I was never scared in public transportation. It varies according to the city, that's why I'm asking, and that's why you are so helpful to me thanksssss

Old 01-09-2008, 09:23 PM

181 posts, read 892,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabriItaly View Post
thank you all very much! I'm 26 and never owned a car! as you know in Europe we do use a lot public transportation and, as a student, till now I didn't need one (with the exception of nightlife, if yuo don't live in one of the main cities, but for nightlife there is my brother's car ). I know it's completely different in the US... I don't think I'm buying a car for 6-12 months with all the mess related to the fact that I'm not American... So, do you think I should go to cities such as SF or NYC? I'd love to go to one of these cities, but I preferred sunny SoCal...
There are loads of people in san diego that are not citizens that have cars. (many are not even legal!). New York and SF deff. have better public transportation...but if you are worried about gagstas in SD, I would hate to be you in new york. lol and good luck.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:14 AM

17 posts, read 69,488 times
You think NY is more dangerous than SD?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:59 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabriItaly View Post
You think NY is more dangerous than SD?
There enough gangsters in NYC to fill entire swaths of San Diego. Is NY more dangerous? Not really. Just depends where you hang out. If you hang out in a bad area, it's dangerous, no matter where you are.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:03 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Not having a car in SD means missing out on many of the best things that SD has to offer.
As someone in another thread mentioned,one could use a 'car rental' for special events/day trips,and thereby avoid having to own a car.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:27 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Cars are cheap in America so save up $2000 and buy a used car. You will be much happier plus when it is time to leave you will be able to sell it for exactly what you bought it for.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:06 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Then there's the loon poster here who wanted to live in SD in and with just a car. Now, MIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego