Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 02:45 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times

Advertisements

That's it, they already have the land (where the current stadium is) so there really is no reason to go elsewhere to buy land. The Q is in a perfect location, surrounded by access to all major freeways and the trolley stations so people can get there from all over SD County. This is the only solution that ever made sense to me. Tear down the Q, let the Chargers play at UCLA or USC until it is built.

What was the reason the Q location seems to always get shot down? I thought this was the one that Spanos wanted, because the real estate (condos, etc.) that would be built around the stadium. Seems like the least expensive option.

Off topic, but it bugs me that the NFL wants to expand to London when they can't even seem to take care of the franchises they have here in the US. I know it's about money and building the empire, but there are too many lousy teams now and we don't need another one. Plus the cost of flying back and forth to the U.K. Will the NFL then be called the International Football League
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 03:12 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
I think the NBA would do much better in London or Europe rather than the NFL, Europeans (not really the Brits though) play basketball and not American Football.

Despite lack of interest, the NFL's schedule is much more condusive to European expansion than the NBA's schedule which has games every other night.

Also, with regard to the comment that was made that the market share ends at the border, I think if the Chargers wanted to expand the fanbase, they should consider playing at least an exhibition game at the new Estadio Caliente in Tijuana, this would get The Chargers over big as well as the NFL as a whole with the Baja, Mexican, and hispanic (in the US) fan base....it is similar to when the TJ Toros play at Petco Park and the Xolos play at Qualcomm Stadium. The Padres already have big fan base down there with its ties to the Toros ball club and the Padres Store at the Plaza Rio mall. It is too bad the Caliente stadium only has 35K seats and is considered small by NFL standards.

Last edited by malcorub16; 02-21-2015 at 04:31 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 03:39 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I think the NBA would do much better in London or Europe rather than the NFL, Europeans (not really the Brits though) play basketball and not American Football.

Despite lack of interest, the NFL's schedule is much more condusive to European expansion than the NBA's schedule which has games every other night.

Also, with regard to the comment that was made that the market share ends at the border, I think if the Chargers wanted to expand the fanbase, they should consider playing at least an exhibition game at the new Estadio Caliente in Tijuana, this would get The Chargers over big as well as the NFL as a whole with the Baja, Mexican, and hispanic (in the US) fan base....it is similar to when the TJ Toros play at Petco Park and the Xolos play at Qualcomm Stadium. The Padres already have big fan base down there with its ties to the Toros ball club and the Padres Store at the Plaza Rio mall. It is too bad the Caliente stadium only has 35K seats and is considered small by NFL standards. The Padre
But here's the thing about that; the soccer teams from TJ cater to a Latino community that is already into soccer especially since many of the Latinos in the US between San Diego and LA have family south of the border. That "Futbol" culture is still very much alive.

Baseball is popular in Latin America, especially those countries close to the US. American Football really isn't. Only in Canada and the UK is it somewhat popular and Canada already has it's own league with different rules and field sizes or else the NFL would most likely already be there. Grid-iron Football is pretty much an Anglosphere sport.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:54 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
The Chargers have completely owned and dominated the Raiders for like 10 years now. Raiders are a joke.
Not only do we own the overall record, Oakland Raiders lead series 59-50-2 But we have rings, Something the San Diego Chargers will never have.
Look at all the NFL hate in this town and in this thread,"if the chargers want to leave let them ect..."
Like I Mentioned before, the Spano's wants all of the land that city owns in and around Mission Valley and surrounding Qualcomm stadium.
The Reason why the deal broke down the first time is because the city said, hell no!
10 years later the city still owns the land, and the land still sits there undeveloped
For the last time, "The stadium will not be just for the Chargers use"
City of Carson
"SHOW ME YOUR LIGHTING BOLTS"

Old 02-21-2015, 03:57 PM

788 posts, read 1,877,453 times
Quote:
Ok, I'll play along...
Hahaha. I'm glad the Anaheim guy is willing to humor us San Diegans.

Quote:
Beaches: You'll lose this all day long. No one goes to the beach around the convention center. Its just docks with private boats and ships. You have to take a ferry and then walk across the Coronado island to get to a beautiful but absolutley boring beach filled with retired couples and families.
Obviously there are no beaches next to the convention center. It's SD's waterfront to a bay. (Another thing Anaheim lacks) Actually, there is a huge mix of people who visit the beach. Clearly you do not go.

Quote:
Who spends hours walking around a convention center and then wants to walk nearly an hour to get to a beach an then walk back? lol.
Tourists. People without cars. Maybe it's hard for you to fathom since you grew up in a car-centric place...? The "walk" to Coronado beach is 10 minutes of a cross-Bay ferry ride and 30 minutes walking down Coronado's primary commercial corridor. Even better, you could rent a bicycle, which is actually quite fun. We just started our own bike share!

I guess you would prefer as little physical movement as possible.

Quote:
Anaheim is a 28 minute drive to Huntington Beach. I don't think I even need to explain the difference here. Main street HB is awesome. Shops, restaurants, bars and its filled with 20 something year olds....Coronado doesn't even come close for the young single crowd.
Coronado doesn't need to have the shops, restaurants, bars etc. for Comic Con people....IT'S ACROSS THE STREET IN THE GASLAMP.

One more thing: Pacific Beach. Ever heard of it? Everything you mentioned + way better Mexican food. 20 minutes from SD convention center. A lot less pretentious too.

Quote:
Airport: Its a wash, both the same drive time.
Your opinion, however this actually matters to people without cars.

Quote:
Historic Attractions: Ummm, who comes out for a comic book convention and has the time or the want to go visit historic attractions in a city? I mean, unless we are taking something majorly historic like the Empire State building or the Golden Gate bridge, very few care.
Most people do not have tickets to every single event. Similarly, people want to visit things that are unique to the place they are visiting. Guess what! Anaheim literally has nothing unique about it. NOTHING. Disneyland? Bigger one in Florida and Tokyo. Convention center? go to Vegas. Your city is boring and the only difference between Anaheim and Santa Ana is Disney, the demographics, crime, and a baseball team (without naming rights).

Quote:
Great Views? Um ok, sure. San Diego wins this one...
It kinda makes a difference if you're event is being held in a smoggy suburb or on the waterfront of a coastal city. It's part of what makes the event iconic.

"San Diego Comic Con" vs. "Anaheim Comic Con"

Most people know San Diego. Anaheim? Don't know it exists.

Quote:
Funny how you bash Anaheim for shopping malls yet you list it as one of your main arguments lol. Oh and chain restaurants? I was just at Hard Rock SD last month and I seem to remember a Spaghetti Factory, Rockin baja lobster, McCormick and Schmicks and having breakfast at Broken Yolk. Hey, we have all those out here too, chain restaurants! lol
Oh let's be real clear. I dislike most shopping malls, San Diego or Orange County. I just used shopping malls because that's the limited shopping opportunities next to your convention center. SD has a mall, shopping streets, markets, etc. You have strip malls and suburban malls. There's no contest. We have Rockin Baja AND Cuatro Milpas, we have Spaghetti Factory AND Little Italy. We have Broken Yolk AND the Mission.

Quote:
I will repeat this again. Ask CC attendees whether they would rather go walk around Gaslamp or the Horton Plaza mall or have Disneyland across the street from the convention. Don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out the results
I have no doubt in my mind that having the convention next to Disney is exciting and sexy, and many potential convention-goers would prefer it. However, what percent of people would actually go to Disneyland?

My guess is 25-40% considering the tickets are now $100/day and it's extremely overcrowded and hot in July.

Now, how many people experience the downtown of SD when visiting Comic Con? 100% of them do, whether it's restaurants, attractions, or nightlife, 100% of people can experience our urban waterfront.

As another poster recently said, there is no comparison between Anaheim and downtown San Diego.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:09 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
That's it, they already have the land (where the current stadium is) so there really is no reason to go elsewhere to buy land. The Q is in a perfect location, surrounded by access to all major freeways and the trolley stations so people can get there from all over SD County. This is the only solution that ever made sense to me. Tear down the Q, let the Chargers play at UCLA or USC until it is built.

What was the reason the Q location seems to always get shot down? I thought this was the one that Spanos wanted, because the real estate (condos, etc.) that would be built around the stadium. Seems like the least expensive option.

Off topic, but it bugs me that the NFL wants to expand to London when they can't even seem to take care of the franchises they have here in the US. I know it's about money and building the empire, but there are too many lousy teams now and we don't need another one. Plus the cost of flying back and forth to the U.K. Will the NFL then be called the International Football League
For some reason, they want a new location. And you're right, the Q is in the perfect location, plus there's plenty of room for tailgating.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:10 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Let the Chargers go. Why give them a new stadium? What have they given us? 1 Superbowl attempt against the 9ers, where they got clobbered after the first quarter. Good riddance!
You can do what we did here in St.Louis.
We just have a drawing of a new stadium, It was all done on a Friday afternoon and didn't cost us much money at all. You should see it, it's a dandy and they show it to us on the local news every night. If we don't have a football team in 2016 they are going to draw us a picture of a team to go along with the drawing of our new stadium. Sundays will be exciting around here again.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:18 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Not only do we own the overall record, Oakland Raiders lead series 59-50-2 But we have rings, Something the San Diego Chargers will never have.
Look at all the NFL hate in this town and in this thread,"if the chargers want to leave let them ect..."
Like I Mentioned before, the Spano's wants all of the land that city owns in and around Mission Valley and surrounding Qualcomm stadium.
The Reason why the deal broke down the first time is because the city said, hell no!
10 years later the city still owns the land, and the land still sits there undeveloped
For the last time, "The stadium will not be just for the Chargers use"
City of Carson
And if I know the city of San Diego, the land will never be sold. Seaworld, and the various companies that have owned that park have always tried to buy the land it's on and the city has always given one of those hell no answers. The city will not sell the land Qualcomm is on any sooner. San Diego does not like to sell it's land.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
City of Carson
Great Lee Hacksaw Hamilton reference.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post

I have no doubt in my mind that having the convention next to Disney is exciting and sexy, and many potential convention-goers would prefer it. However, what percent of people would actually go to Disneyland?

My guess is 25-40% considering the tickets are now $100/day and it's extremely overcrowded and hot in July.

Now, how many people experience the downtown of SD when visiting Comic Con? 100% of them do, whether it's restaurants, attractions, or nightlife, 100% of people can experience our urban waterfront.

As another poster recently said, there is no comparison between Anaheim and downtown San Diego.
Even just walking around downtown SD during Comic Con with a spiked Slurpee from 7/11 is fun. I have never actually been inside of Comic Con but the atmosphere every year downtown is electric from the outside exhibits to the ones in nearby hotel conference halls. I don't see walking around Disneyland for $100 dollars during Comic Con and maybe riding Space Mountain as fun. Personally, I dread going to Disneyland or any theme park that doesn't have water slides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego