Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 07:58 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
You mean "the Dip"? Now I'm getting hungry. Since their (Lincoln Park's) color is green I'm leaning toward guacamole.

The "Dip Set" on Logan is Blood territory, so make sure you mix it with some Red Hot to give the guac a little kick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 02:30 AM

25 posts, read 42,333 times
The thing about San Diego is that while many parts of the County have a definite grittiness to their culture, no part of the city is nearly as dangerous as the roughest parts of the United States. To put it into a Southern Californian perspective, if you look at the crime map for San Diego, you'll notice that the total number of murders for the past six months are fairly few and far in-between. Even the entire region of Southeast San Diego has only 4 murders overall (2 of which were in Lincoln Park). However, if you look at the same statistics for South Central LA, the number of murders is roughly 20 times that of Southeast. Personally, I still wouldn't recommend living in the rougher parts of San Diego to the faint of heart or at least those who don't fully understand the culture there, but they're at least not as steeped in violence as other parts of the United States.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:56 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Or, really, just the opposite.
Well I have and SD is not safe compared to those places. Eagle River AK, Thousand Oaks, CA for a couple. In Eagle River we had no crime for many months.

Zero.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:40 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Well I have and SD is not safe compared to those places. Eagle River AK, Thousand Oaks, CA for a couple. In Eagle River we had no crime for many months.

Zero.
Not sure what your point is. If you lived in places that had significant crime / danger, you wouldn't find San Diego scary is just as true. It's all relative. So what?

I haven't read a lot of your posts, but of those I have read I note you are kinda focused on guns, crime, road rage, and fear. Sorry about that crick in your neck from looking over your shoulder and under your bed so much. Scary world for you, I guess.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:38 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,239 times
Quote:
Not sure what your point is. If you lived in places that had significant crime / danger, you wouldn't find San Diego scary is just as true. It's all relative. So what?

I haven't read a lot of your posts, but of those I have read I note you are kinda focused on guns, crime, road rage, and fear. Sorry about that crick in your neck from looking over your shoulder and under your bed so much. Scary world for you, I guess.
Ouch. They're going to need some ice for that burn.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:

And you are intrusive, random, condescending and scattered.

For the other readers, my point is that San Diego is a potentially violent culture. Any person who drives the roads sees this first hand and while crime occurs at greater frequency in many other areas, there are places where crime is minimal. When a person lives in those places, it would be hard to call San Diego as "safe".

Old 05-09-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
And you are intrusive, random, condescending and scattered.

For the other readers, my point is that San Diego is a potentially violent culture. Any person who drives the roads sees this first hand and while crime occurs at greater frequency in many other areas, there are places where crime is minimal. When a person lives in those places, it would be hard to call San Diego as "safe".
Explain? Why shouldn't I enter this conversation? I live in San Diego. I drive the roads. I don't find this city or its roads scary. You find that condescending to say? Now, what's random and scattered?

Old 05-09-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Explain? Why shouldn't I enter this conversation? I live in San Diego. I drive the roads. I don't find this city or its roads scary. You find that condescending to say? Now, what's random and scattered?
Where is the "safest" place you've lived?

Old 05-09-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Where is the "safest" place you've lived?
Interesting to ponder that. Grew up in St. Paul, MN. Back in the 40's, 50's and early 60's. Can't recall that I was aware of much crime so don't know how safe it was statistically. Guess not bad. We never had a lick of trouble.

Then there were a series of cities and bases in the military, all in California and overseas. I guess Vietnam doesn't really count fairly for our conversational purposes here. Or the Philippines. But I do admit to being kinda on edge and wary over there . San Diego / Coronado back then in the mid-60's was safe I'd say. Oakland / Alameda wasn't particularly though. I lived after that in San Francisco proper and over the many years later in Sausalito, Isleton, Rio Vista. Now back to San Diego, with part time up in Morro Bay.

So, I'd say it has been a mix of safe and less than safe, by typical American standards. I've just never had any trouble of any kind any of those spots - except overseas.

Japan was WAY safe! Come to think on it.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Interesting to ponder that. Grew up in St. Paul, MN. Back in the 40's, 50's and early 60's. Can't recall that I was aware of much crime so don't know how safe it was statistically. Guess not bad. We never had a lick of trouble.

Then there were a series of cities and bases in the military, all in California and overseas. I guess Vietnam doesn't really count fairly for our conversational purposes here. Or the Philippines. But I do admit to being kinda on edge and wary over there . San Diego / Coronado back then in the mid-60's was safe I'd say. Oakland / Alameda wasn't particularly though. I lived after that in San Francisco proper and over the many years later in Sausalito, Isleton, Rio Vista. Now back to San Diego, with part time up in Morro Bay.

So, I'd say it has been a mix of safe and less than safe, by typical American standards. I've just never had any trouble of any kind any of those spots - except overseas.

Japan was WAY safe! Come to think on it.
Interesting about Japan given the uber strict gun laws. For myself Hawaii in the 50's and Europe and in the USA. For myself Alaska hands down. Hard to say why given the gun deaths there however in Eagle River as I said 17 miles outside Anchorage there is no crime. It also may be the fact that a person can carry a weapon to defend against be it man or beast or a combination of the two. So it would appear that the ability to defend oneself lends itself to my personal safety. Glad we got off the first page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego