Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 06:26 PM

216 posts, read 259,005 times

Advertisements

My neighbor (in the same building) has a service dog because their daughter has "epilepsy" so I was considering getting a service dog to help with "depression".

I'd like to stay where I'm at for the time being and really don't want to have to move just because I want to get a dog. Is this a terrible idea and if so why? Please spare me the "it's unethical" argument, I know many of you feel that way but let's be honest, this really wouldn't be hurting anybody.

Not sure if it's relevant at all, but I'd like to get a mini or standard schnauzer (~30-40 lbs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 06:33 PM

4,614 posts, read 3,307,687 times
Schnauzers are notorious for barking at everything, so I think you'd get lots of complaints and then you'd really be depressed.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:39 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKiwi View Post
...let's be honest, this really wouldn't be hurting anybody.
Unethical behavior hurts everybody, actually. Like saying shoplifting is "stealing lite." Or like people who fake disability to get a handicapped placard for parking.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:59 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Unethical behavior hurts everybody, actually. Like saying shoplifting is "stealing lite." Or like people who fake disability to get a handicapped placard for parking.
I think the abuse of the privileges of service dogs does hurt people who legitimately need their service animals. As a landlord - I sometimes give the stink eye to applications with "service dogs" if the individual doesn't have a obvious disability.

If you want a dog, find a place that will rent to you with one or scrap together the money to buy your own place.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:03 PM

435 posts, read 454,448 times
OP you sound like all the other self-centered narcissists who have made the term "service animal" synonymous in the last few years with douche bags who don't actually need a service animal but just want an excuse to bring their dogs with them on planes or take them wherever they want.

Don't be a self-centered douchebag OP. Those laws are not for you. If you want a dog, move someplace where you're allowed to have one.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:56 PM

8,392 posts, read 7,654,185 times
It's not as easy qualifying for a service animal as one might expect. Legally, in order to qualify, you must be disabled and have a medical necessity for the animal.

"Disabled" as defined by Federal law means that your medical condition makes you unable to preform major life activities as defined by the ADA:

"....major life activities include, but are not limited to, caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, communicating, and working..."

You'll need to have a medical professional (i.e., a psychiatrist who has been treating you) certify that your mental disability falls into this category. And, service dogs must be trained as support animals -- you can't just swing by your local pet store and buy whatever strikes your fancy and say it's a service dog.

However, if you do fall under the legal definition of being disabled because of your psychiatric condition, I don't see a problem with looking into this.

If you're not disabled, thank your lucky stars, and then start looking for a new place to live where you can keep a dog.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-01-2015 at 10:21 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 09:01 PM

371 posts, read 637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKiwi View Post
My neighbor (in the same building) has a service dog because their daughter has "epilepsy" so I was considering getting a service dog to help with "depression".
I find it interesting that you put epilepsy in quotes. What's the kid supposed to do, have seizures on command to prove it to you?

Old 10-01-2015, 09:21 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,342,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ashbury View Post
OP you sound like all the other self-centered narcissists who have made the term "service animal" synonymous in the last few years with douche bags who don't actually need a service animal but just want an excuse to bring their dogs with them on planes or take them wherever they want.

Don't be a self-centered douchebag OP. Those laws are not for you. If you want a dog, move someplace where you're allowed to have one.
Yep!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:52 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,433,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

^ This.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:06 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,533,861 times
^^^I agree x10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego