Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 PM

181 posts, read 892,295 times

Advertisements

I dont know...Are you in IT or CS? Because they are totally diff. job markets I think. My husband works in CS related job. We moved to san diego right after collage...(I grew up here) And I would say, that their are a lot of CS jobs here, depending on what experience you have in the field, and how many Prog. L. you know (and which ones). He has never had any problem finding a job here. But I will say this...if you dont know anyone, and dont have a lot of experience, it is sometimes hard to get a footing in. And you know if you are single, I think you shouldnt have a problem getting along here financially, if you end up not making quite as much as you hoped to start out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 02:07 PM

317 posts, read 1,759,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Also, one more thing.

If you call a company in SD and say, "hi, im currently living in NY and yada yada yada" they are more likely to NOT want to deal with you. I remember someone i know was in NJ and wanted to move to Vegas to get a job and before he could actually apply and go on interviews, he had to get a nevada drivers licence and address to put on the appy.......companies didn't want to hire him with a NJ license until they saw he was serious about relocating.
not entirely true. that is how i made my move. i was living in nj last year and called a few different offices in orange county and was invited out for interviews. narrowed it down to 2 places and got 2 offers and signed one and made my move and was out here in a week. i would think someone is less prone to hire u if you just pick up and leave without a guaranteed job and just hoping, it shows you are a poor planner. do it right, call ahead, set up interviews, fly out for a few days and get the feel for more than just the weekends to see if its right for you. im up in irvine- orange county right now but my lease is up next month and am working things out to move downtown sd.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 AM

37 posts, read 169,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs View Post
Some advice: don't expect to continue any kind of decent career in I.T. in San Diego unless you want to live hand-to-mouth with constant job uncertainty. If you move here I would wager that you will leave for economic reasons in a few years, and you'll have a big hole in your career.
Ask a lot of people here how they support themselves and you'll hear that they work in real-estate-related small businesses or that they sell windsocks or teach Tai-Chi.

The only companies that do IT work are Qualcomm (if you want to spend grueling hours fixing bugs in cellular call-processing firmware and studying 5-inch-thick standards documents for a lousy 60-80K a year), or Biotech companies doing mind-numbing statistical work and a zillion spreadsheets or Oracle programs for the latest LD50 (lethal-dose 50% on rat populations) test on some experiment for even lower salaries until the next layoff comes. San Diego is full of former IT people working in Starbucks for the health benefits or just to pay half the rent with a roommate.

I know. I worked in the NY area in telecom I.T. for 30 years and, after visiting SDO several times, dreamed of getting out there by just getting a job. (I've got the same education as you.)

If you go to SD, ditch the I.T. career and become a real estate broker and manage your life so you can live on next to nothing while you build a career.

Better advice: Get out of the rat race in NY (yeah, I agree pretty hellish unless you have Trump-wealth), and go to the Washington DC area, which is MUCH more civilized, clean, and livable for a youngish, educated career person, and lots of $$ to be made from the gov't profligacy and overspending that props up the whole region. Save & invest for 10-15 years and then move to SD in style, so you won't end up hawking souvenirs to tourists or working in La Salsa when you're 50 (look around SD and you'll see what I'm talking about). People are very grateful to spend 20 years in a union job as a cashier in Ralphs or Vons.

The San Diego people are fine, the city is beautiful (I sometimes think the locals don't appreciate how nice it is and just take it for granted) and it's a great place to live, but you need a nice nest egg or non-job-related source of income to do it. This is not career-town.

Just a word to the wise. Good luck.
Very good and detailed inside into SD realty. If you have an entrepreneurial mind you can do good out here. If you are set on an IT career I would urge you to look into Orange County. Same weather, but way more IT related jobs.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,369 times
Looks like you've received some good advice. One thing I wanted to mention is the aerospace and defense industry. The defense industry is big in San Diego and there are a lot of CS jobs. I graduated from school in May from the East coast with a degree in CS, got a job out here, moved and started at the end of the summer. So that might be something to consider. When I was hired they were desperate for more employees, and I think they're still looking hard for more. They'll usually pay good money to relocate you as well. With the education and skills you mentioned, i doubt you'd have any trouble getting a job.

Lots of defense companies out here: Northrop Grumman, BAE Systems, Lockheed Martin, etc.

If you're interested or want more info, feel free to message me.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkt View Post
Crime is a problem everywhere in San Diego.
I'm not sure where the hell you've been living but I've lived here my whole life and other then one time in 1997 when I had someone break a car window to steal an old TV I had in my back seat I haven't been the victim of any crimes. So it would seem, from my personal experience, that crime is not every where and the crime statistics also bare me out since San Diego has the lowest crime rate of any major city in America.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:34 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO_GT View Post
Looks like you've received some good advice. One thing I wanted to mention is the aerospace and defense industry. The defense industry is big in San Diego and there are a lot of CS jobs. I graduated from school in May from the East coast with a degree in CS, got a job out here, moved and started at the end of the summer. So that might be something to consider. When I was hired they were desperate for more employees, and I think they're still looking hard for more. They'll usually pay good money to relocate you as well. With the education and skills you mentioned, i doubt you'd have any trouble getting a job.

Lots of defense companies out here: Northrop Grumman, BAE Systems, Lockheed Martin, etc.

If you're interested or want more info, feel free to message me.
Things aren't quite so rosy in the aerospace and defense industry most recently. Some of the big companies are having ongoing lay-offs. The only one I've heard is currently (maybe) hiring is Northrop Grumman.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,846 times
ok so i am 19 years old, african american/spanish mix. i intend on moving here in January for school. right now i am a liscenced phlebotomist looking to start school and get a small apartment in so.cal. I need advice on nice but affordable places to stay. I listed my ethnicity because i was told there aren't many african americans in sd. Not a big deal, just wondering. All of the info above is very helpful..anything else i should know??

Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
There are African Americans in San Diego. Most of them are in Southeast San Diego in the Encanto area

Old 09-11-2010, 01:05 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
I believe there are AA throughout the area; southeast in general may have more lower middle socio-economic folks of all races, which may or maynot be what you're looking for.
Being AA myself, but tend to look for places to live that match my economics at the time. It sounds like you may be a typical young professional starting out and want to be with folks your economic equal as well as age and not necessarily your race - am I correct? If so, search this site for discussions on various areas to live based on that criteria. We can always drive someplace to get our hair done or buy an ethnic specific product!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego