Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 11:48 PM

11 posts, read 12,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberChump View Post
I'm not sure why it's relevant that you were at a luncheon and that you weren't paying. It is interesting that you were at and want another free lunch, though.

I can't ask this so called "driver". I would assume, based on what you have written that either you or this so called driver have no concept of profit.

We aren't talking about a fare for the service so comparing using a taxi to lyft/uber is moot. A taxi fare is mandatory and so is the fare for a rideshare. You chose the cheaper of the two. A tip is voluntary. You don't have to tip a taxi or a rideshare but considering you are paying next to nothing for a rideshare, why wouldn't you give a tip to a driver who takes a lot of risk and depreciates his asset to drive a cheapskate, like you, around town?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I make my Company a lotttttt of money, that's why I've been here 20+ years. These perks we've earned, can you say the same?

Marketing fail, keep talking.

So, basically you are stating this is your job and you suck at it. Exhibit A why higher ed pays off. If I remember the bill was still around 25 bucks to be transported less than 5 miles.

If you aren't getting a big enough cut I suggest you complain to your "employer". You sound like the waitress in a dump bar that complains about tips but no one enters the place.

BTW the driver had a nice car and a good attitude but 4.5 miles is 4.5 miles. Maybe try a "tips accepted" sign but I don't think UBER would keep you around long.

OBVIOUSLY people don't know if tipping is correct in this instance. But, go ahead, blame your customers.
The one who's failing in their argument is you. I spelled it out simply in my last response. I'll continue.

We can say whatever we want in the land of anonymity. I can say I made my Company a lotttttt of money too for the past 20 years. I can also make up a fictitious driver who told me not to tip at a free luncheon I was not at. You weren't using UBERx because $25 for 4.5 miles is closer to start up prices.

I don't drive uber but I know people who do. The price for UBERx right now is .90 per mile plus .10 per minute. Let's say a driver on average drives 60 miles per hour when transporting a customer for this. So a fare per minute is $1. Subtract the %25 uber takes. Driver is left with $.75 per mile at this point. If using the 2016 IRS standard milage deduction of. 54 cents per mile as an estimate for depreciation, gas, etc... The drive profits $0.21 a mile.

(.90+.10)-25%=.75
.75 - . 54= . 21

You're five mile trip would give the drive just over a dollar profit and you won't tip. Hahaha.

You sir are a cheapskate who takes advantage by using the exploitation of workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 07:25 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
The one who's failing in their argument is you. I spelled it out simply in my last response. I'll continue.

We can say whatever we want in the land of anonymity. I can say I made my Company a lotttttt of money too for the past 20 years. I can also make up a fictitious driver who told me not to tip at a free luncheon I was not at. You weren't using UBERx because $25 for 4.5 miles is closer to start up prices.

I don't drive uber but I know people who do. The price for UBERx right now is .90 per mile plus .10 per minute. Let's say a driver on average drives 60 miles per hour when transporting a customer for this. So a fare per minute is $1. Subtract the %25 uber takes. Driver is left with $.75 per mile at this point. If using the 2016 IRS standard milage deduction of. 54 cents per mile as an estimate for depreciation, gas, etc... The drive profits $0.21 a mile.

(.90+.10)-25%=.75
.75 - . 54= . 21

You're five mile trip would give the drive just over a dollar profit and you won't tip. Hahaha.

You sir are a cheapskate who takes advantage by using the exploitation of workers.
Argument? Please.

For not being a UBER driver you sure seem to know a lot about it and REALLY butt hurt about a, pretty much, neutral comment of the experience. I never bashed the ride just commented on how it went down that day. My one and only experience.

I wasn't footing the bill. I already mentioned it was "around" 25, ya know ball park because I asked to help and that's what she said it was. If you want I can go and ask for a receipt from the person gracious enough to pick up the tab that day then you can bag on specifics if that turns you on.

If UBER accepts tips then why does everyone think it's taboo? Your marketing dept sucks. But keep blaming your customers that's an interesting business model. LMAO

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 01-20-2016 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-20-2016, 08:44 AM

699 posts, read 610,994 times
I tip inside the app, Lyft allows you to tip the driver afterwards (when you rate him).

I will say this though, my tip will be no more than 20% of the ride, if it's 10$ he will get 2$. Lyft at this point is not even much cheaper than taxis, and I never tip taxis unless I don't have change (ride is 16$ I only have a 20$).

If people who drive are unsatisfied with their money - find a new job. Don't expect me to tip you to live the lifestyle you want. It's not my fault you're unsatisfied with your earnings or chosen job.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:10 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Uber's official stance is, "With Uber there is no need to tip. Once you arrive at your destination, your fare is automatically charged to your credit card on file, making for a cashless and seamless experience.”

Does your Uber driver expect a tip? | New York Post

I've used Uber for a long time and for the most part it works really well. I've had a few unpleasant experiences in the Bay Area but that is few and far between. In a cashless society, really this is the reason why Uber works so well. If Uber had a mechanism to tip In App I probably would do it. But I have a feeling that would go against their marketing that they have done for not needing to tip and everything being non-cash and seamless.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Uber's official stance is, "With Uber there is no need to tip. Once you arrive at your destination, your fare is automatically charged to your credit card on file, making for a cashless and seamless experience.”

I've used Uber for a long time and for the most part it works really well. I've had a few unpleasant experiences in the Bay Area but that is few and far between. In a cashless society, really this is the reason why Uber works so well. If Uber had a mechanism to tip In App I probably would do it. But I have a feeling that would go against their marketing that they have done for not needing to tip and everything being non-cash and seamless.
Thanks for this. I knew I saw it somewhere before.

Knowing this I'll for sure use them again as I hate to carry much cash.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Thanks for this. I knew I saw it somewhere before.

Knowing this I'll for sure use them again as I hate to carry much cash.
Angrytaxpayer needs a corporations stance on tipping to justify his cheap 455. if a corporation says to exploit it's workers ATP is a customer of that corporation.

You have brought up "my marketing" 3 times and now I understand what you're trying to say. I don't work for uber but it sounds like you do since you're carrying their water. All you do is argue in favor of users policy. Sounds like you're their schil.

A corporation isn't the arbitrator of what individuals exchange between eachother. Uber has no authority to keep passengers from tipping a driver on a drive that has made the driver pennies from the fare. UBER thinks it can control the market from every aspect but it can't. The right to tip is the passengers choice to tip on dirt cheap ride. Angrytaxpayer can keep his money he makes from uber he makes by arguing on behalf of their policies.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post

The reason I use Lyft is because I can leave a tip electronically through their application. This would be non cash and seamless. Uber purposely keeps this ability from being programmed I to their app. Uber does allow tipping on their app if a rider is using Ubertaxi.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:34 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
The reason I use Lyft is because I can leave a tip electronically through their application. This would be non cash and seamless. Uber purposely keeps this ability from being programmed I to their app. Uber does allow tipping on their app if a rider is using Ubertaxi.
I've never used Lyft as Uber works so well but might try them the next time I'm traveling. I wouldn't blame anyone for being "cheap" for not tipping with Uber. I've used them since it came out and the company has always pushed a "NO tipping" mantra.

It has nothing to do with "being cheap" for not tipping. For many people (especially younger generation) they have no need to carry any cash around. I myself very rarely carry cash around. I don't even use checks too often. I can charge almost anything. The only two checks I use per month are my landscaper and my housekeeper. That's it.

This is a pretty good blog written by my friend, Harry on the ride sharing companies. Should You Still Drive For Uber After The Latest Rate Cuts?

Last edited by earlyretirement; 01-20-2016 at 02:13 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Angrytaxpayer needs a corporations stance on tipping to justify his cheap 455. if a corporation says to exploit it's workers ATP is a customer of that corporation.

You have brought up "my marketing" 3 times and now I understand what you're trying to say. I don't work for uber but it sounds like you do since you're carrying their water. All you do is argue in favor of users policy. Sounds like you're their schil.

A corporation isn't the arbitrator of what individuals exchange between eachother. Uber has no authority to keep passengers from tipping a driver on a drive that has made the driver pennies from the fare. UBER thinks it can control the market from every aspect but it can't. The right to tip is the passengers choice to tip on dirt cheap ride. Angrytaxpayer can keep his money he makes from uber he makes by arguing on behalf of their policies.
Take your whiny gripe up with UBER. It's hilarious you signed up just to bark at people doing exactly what the Company wants them to do. You also appear extremely bitter.

https://help.uber.com/h/1be144ab-609...5-b9c7de5ec073

DO I NEED TO TIP MY DRIVER?

You don’t need cash when you ride with Uber. Once you arrive at your destination, your fare is automatically charged to your credit card on file — there’s no need to tip.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 01-20-2016 at 12:51 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 05:14 PM

699 posts, read 610,994 times
Quote:
No one is being exploited, if fares are too low, workers should quit and leave. If all your money making options are Uber or worse, then that's your fault and no one else's.

In all my times using Lyft/Uber I never encountered anyone making a living from it. It was always a second job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego