Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:46 PM

414 posts, read 508,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
And overrated versus New England USA.
Is Julian overrated because it didn't meet your expectations or because it doesn't compare to New England towns?

I'm actually curious in learning why people think Julian is overrated. More specifically, what were your expectations before visiting?

I've traveled across New England to visit small towns during the fall leaves and have been to Julian numerous times throughout the year. My expectations for the New England towns were much higher, but both Julian and NE met my expectations.

What are people expecting when they visit Julian? Don't people know that it is an insignificant, former mining camp (turned pie bakery) that is only locally known? How high could your expectations could have been in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 09:21 PM

675 posts, read 645,234 times
I actually have very fond memories of going there as a kid, but I see pics of it now, 30 years on, and am less than impressed.

I will say that my biggest memories are the snow, tabogganing in said snow, and some place that sold candy canes of various flavors (I can get that down the road about 10 blocks now).

As far Julian apple pie, never had it. I'm sure it's overrated, but apple pie is almost always good in my book.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:55 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Overrated:

Phil's BBQ.

It's tasty. But it's just meat with sauce poured over. If I want BBQ I'll go to Coop's or Valley Farms.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:11 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
Overrated:

The weather--it's been nice lately with the chill, but usually it's a fair bit warmer than that, and sometimes somewhat heat wavey.

The food scene--People lose their minds over all the "authentic" stuff around here, like fish tacos. People scoff at chains. Chains crimp too many people's style here.

The people---I run into too many religious people here. And bros. I like the Midwest vibe the best.

Transit---annoying drivers, trolleys that don't open automatically

Underrated:

Activities besides the beaches.

La Jolla's "downtown"

El Cajon Blvd.

Liberty station (though maybe that changes with the new market area).
Weather is best - compare now to anywhere else, lol.
La Jolla down town - posh - what's so great
Liberty Station has some good (Tender Greens) and bad (Corvette)
El Cajon Blvd, huh

Old 01-24-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
Is Julian overrated because it didn't meet your expectations or because it doesn't compare to New England towns?

I'm actually curious in learning why people think Julian is overrated. More specifically, what were your expectations before visiting?

I've traveled across New England to visit small towns during the fall leaves and have been to Julian numerous times throughout the year. My expectations for the New England towns were much higher, but both Julian and NE met my expectations.

What are people expecting when they visit Julian? Don't people know that it is an insignificant, former mining camp (turned pie bakery) that is only locally known? How high could your expectations could have been in the first place?
Focusing on the apples, Julian are puny, very few orchards, and don't recall taste, but NE has many orchards, many varieties, excellent tasting, nice sizes. Nuthin' special about Julian pies, but NE has great apple cider donuts and other apple products.
As far as town of Julian goes, I know not much; central Massachusetts has some beautiful rural like areas.

Last edited by bloom; 01-24-2016 at 12:30 AM..

Old 01-24-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Overrated:

Phil's BBQ.

It's tasty. But it's just meat with sauce poured over. If I want BBQ I'll go to Coop's or Valley Farms.

Coops is far better. And now expanding on to fried chicken. The owner is a nice local brother and sister. Support them.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I wanted to add some things.

Overrated:

-In & Out definitely. Along with Five Guys.

-Coronado

-A lot of East County in terms of living there, not in terms of outdoor recreation like hiking or camping. I know there are people on here who live in East County like in Lakeside and love it, but I personally don't like it and can't wait to move out. Most of East County just isn't an appealing place to me because there is a lot of truth to the negative stereotypes of the area.

Underrated:

-La Mesa. It is my favorite place in East County.

-College Area/SDSU
In n Out is good. Much better than greasy Dick's up in Seattle area. Smashburger is better. And Burger Lounge even better.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Overrated:
- OB/MB/PB, Hillcrest, Point Loma
- Hash house, Stone Brewery, South Beach fish tacos, Slaters 50/50

Underrated
- Anza Borrego and Cuyamaca SP
- Talmadge and El Cerrito
- Lakeside
Specific list but accurate, except Hillcrest is good.
Also, for MB, if you restrict to the ocean, ease, and parking, it is good. The bay itself and park are nice.

Last edited by bloom; 01-24-2016 at 12:31 AM..

Old 01-24-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
PB, OB, and MB for sure. There are so many higher quality beach areas in SD. But all the 20 something transplants and inland kids seem to flock to these places. I was not impressed even in my 20's.

Gaslamp too, pretty self explanatory.

I honestly like the Zoo, one of the better ones in the Western US for sure. A lot more educational/cultural value than laying stoned on the beach.

Outdoor activities is very underrated for SD too. People are hyping out cities like Portland, Minneapolis (huge wtf), and Austin (wtf) for being "outdoorsy". SD deserves more hype than any of those cities for outdoor activities.
Zoo is a bit touristy, though enjoy walking through every now and then, and ironically like the flora. I prefer smaller more intimate zoos, Franklin Park in Boston comes to mind.
SeaWorld is bad touristy pricey exploitive, but LegoLand is well done, perhaps underrated.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:20 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
In n Out is good. Much better than greasy Dick's up in Seattle area.

No truer words spoken...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego