Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 05:44 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
People are complaining .
Yes! They are!

And they've been given a free place to do it here! They can complain until they choke on it and have an aneurism and it won't interfere with anyone's walk along the Embarcadero!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 05:58 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
People are complaining about the number of homeless downtown. The beach ban had a direct link to the amount of homeless downtown. The beaches were patrolled endlessly by SDPD to keep the tourists from freaking out. Downtown side streets, not so much.
Sounds to me like a clever way for the PD to get the City Council to increase their overtime budget, send a bunch of cops out to do what amounts to nothing, chasing bums off the beach and threatening a bunch of ordinary working people with arrest who had the audacity to think that it might be nice to have a brewski on the beach.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sounds to me like a clever way for the PD to get the City Council to increase their overtime budget, send a bunch of cops out to do what amounts to nothing, chasing bums off the beach and threatening a bunch of ordinary working people with arrest who had the audacity to think that it might be nice to have a brewski on the beach.
Clever cop'ers. Who said all they do is eat donuts!

Old 02-12-2016, 10:37 AM

572 posts, read 599,352 times
Some good discussion points on this thread. And some great input by several posters. One thing that I think is important (and I don't think well known) that Tulemutt brought up is the huge amount of money and resources that homeless individuals can cost communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
On this issue, there's the bleeding heart liberals, the heartlessly self-absorbed judgementalists - and then there's a couple of actually informed posters who recognize that one-size does not fit all...

One poster here previously expressed outrage at having read that the average homeless cost his/her community $40,000 annually. It varies from place to place in amount, but it's true that the figures are always VERY high. But guess what? The story is really far worse. Because it's only about 20%, the chronic, that are using most of those dollars in emergency and legal enforcement and services. Some individuals have cost their communities literally in excess of a $ million bucks in one year. (! True!).

If you are a person who gets your jollies out of ranting that we shouldn't give nobody nothing for free because you were a paper boy and earned your way right through college and everybody else should do the same - then you can live with stepping in human excrement on the streets. Take your pick.
I have some friends that work as EMTs and fire fighters. You wouldn't believe the amount of their day to day work that involves treating and dealing with homeless - many of who are the same individuals they see again and again. If someone is complaining of chest pain or is unconscious and unresponsive there are automatic procedures where they get admitted to a hospital through emergency rooms. This gives them a warm bed and a meal for the night and they know this and play to it. This is unbelievably costly to society when those individuals have no insurance and no ability to pay.

For those who are advocates of not providing for the homeless in the hopes that no "handouts" will spur them into "helping themselves" - I imagine these costs would further increase. You pay for those emergency services costs whether you know it or not...through your medical insurance and through the medical bills and through the taxes within your community. Or maybe we should not treat homeless individuals who collapse and require medical attention on our streets?

Old 02-12-2016, 10:54 AM

401 posts, read 444,692 times
John - Because most taxpayers are selfish.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:45 PM

414 posts, read 508,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Thanks to the multiple posters who just sent me positive rep messages but didn't identify themselves. And thanks Julian for your open positive evaluation.

I'll just add one thing more:

Think of homelessness as a symptom, not a disease. It has many causes. No single medication is a universal cure.
Something I would like to say, even though it does not come across in my posts, is that generation-wide issues do not apply to everyone in each generation.

Mr. Tulemutt is clearly aware and sensitive to the issue at hand, while some of these other posters are beyond clueless. To some extent the stereotypes of both generations are true, good and bad. However, I would like to say that both Tulemutt and I do not fall into the bad stereotypes of our respective generations. Tulemutt understands the reality of the homeless situation and speaks knowledgeably of the topic. It was unfair (and definitely not meant to be personal) to direct frustration at any one person, especially one who clearly knows what they are talking about.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:00 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
Some good discussion points on this thread. And some great input by several posters. One thing that I think is important (and I don't think well known) that Tulemutt brought up is the huge amount of money and resources that homeless individuals can cost communities.

I have some friends that work as EMTs and fire fighters. You wouldn't believe the amount of their day to day work that involves treating and dealing with homeless - many of who are the same individuals they see again and again. If someone is complaining of chest pain or is unconscious and unresponsive there are automatic procedures where they get admitted to a hospital through emergency rooms. This gives them a warm bed and a meal for the night and they know this and play to it. This is unbelievably costly to society when those individuals have no insurance and no ability to pay.

For those who are advocates of not providing for the homeless in the hopes that no "handouts" will spur them into "helping themselves" - I imagine these costs would further increase. You pay for those emergency services costs whether you know it or not...through your medical insurance and through the medical bills and through the taxes within your community. Or maybe we should not treat homeless individuals who collapse and require medical attention on our streets?
Check this out.

Paramedic team redirects most-frequent 911 users | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

Then they abided his rights and sent him on his way, despite an estimated $537,000 worth of emergency medical services incurred over the years for this lone, wheelchair-bound homeless man

Old 02-12-2016, 02:25 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
You must have a subscription to the UT, because you can't read the articles without them.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:33 PM

Opened for me.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:03 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
This is what I get:

SUBSCRIPTIONS
Follow
To continue reading on SanDiegoUnionTribune.com, please log in:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego