Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2018, 07:35 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Don't they have a pump house for aeration? That would be a big pump. Most local man made lakes have these and they are loud. Lake Miramar is one of them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,741 times
We experience the same thing. I thought I was nuts, and asked my spouse if he also noticed it and *yes* he did!!

Right now he’s reading about “the hum” in The Guardian online. Apparently it’s a global phenomenon. There are some crazy conspiracy theories, but it’s actually a thing. 2-4% of the population can perceive a “persistent, low-level (10-20hz) ambient noise.” Most say the noise is louder inside (which I have noticed), and that it can be felt more than heard (also my experience). Seems to be correlated to industrialized societies, but that could be an artifact of self-reporting.

A doctor David Baguley in Cambridge (UK) has come up with an explanation: over-sensitive hearing. Well, great. Somehow all those rock concerts didn’t damage my hearing? Or maybe they damaged all the high-frequency capability and now all that’s left is low-freq? So annoying!!! Sometimes it feels like my head is just buzzing and vibrating and I can’t stand it. It’s physically uncomfortable. Anyway, I hope you get some relief.

Check out thehum.info

Old 04-23-2019, 06:28 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Near a body of water? We had something like this going on in the spring forward. Turned out to be bull frogs. Seriously.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:26 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Near a body of water? We had something like this going on in the spring forward. Turned out to be bull frogs. Seriously.
Jeremiah was one

Old 04-23-2019, 10:08 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaRomanova View Post
We experience the same thing. I thought I was nuts, and asked my spouse if he also noticed it and *yes* he did!!

Right now he’s reading about “the hum” in The Guardian online. Apparently it’s a global phenomenon. There are some crazy conspiracy theories, but it’s actually a thing. 2-4% of the population can perceive a “persistent, low-level (10-20hz) ambient noise.” Most say the noise is louder inside (which I have noticed), and that it can be felt more than heard (also my experience). Seems to be correlated to industrialized societies, but that could be an artifact of self-reporting.

A doctor David Baguley in Cambridge (UK) has come up with an explanation: over-sensitive hearing. Well, great. Somehow all those rock concerts didn’t damage my hearing? Or maybe they damaged all the high-frequency capability and now all that’s left is low-freq? So annoying!!! Sometimes it feels like my head is just buzzing and vibrating and I can’t stand it. It’s physically uncomfortable. Anyway, I hope you get some relief.

Check out thehum.info
I had a rifle shoot out of battery and had a hum for days. Luckily it wasn't tinnitus.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,277 times
I hear a maddening very low tone, penetrating hum 24/7 at my property in Mesa Grande (Santa Ysabel... between the town of Santa Ysabel and Lake Henshaw)... the very low tone hum can have brief pauses within a minute. The place is majestic, quiet place except for the weird hum and the nature (the latter is beautiful and non disturbing). I rented a place in Ramona close to the US Forestry office on Magnolia St; to be closer to work; to my dismay Ramona hums worse, as if there were a concert of several different hums. This vibrating, deeply penetrating noise does not seem to bother other people. Neither wife nor my daughter hear it in our house in Mesa Grande... i can hear that noise even if i go some 7 miles away from our house. I was taking care of a neighbor’s house a few acres away from my property (1/2 mile away) and the noise seemed louder to me there; i asked my wife to come over and listen and she did hear it, but she seems to hear it less than what i’m hearing the hum at. I do not remember hearing that noise around 2016; 2017 (but i had no built house then). I only started noticing it around 2018. It’s everywhere; on our meadow, on rocky areas of the property; on adjacent properties. Could it have something to to with SDGE satellite metering? Internet fiber optic? Military radio communications? Lake Sutherland Dam? Anyone have any ideas? Any resources? What to do? Who or what is responsible? This affects my quality of life. I have to turn on a portable Bose speaker every night, place it on my bed-side furniture and put background noise on all night long (eg rain sounds) from a phone app, in order to mask the maddening hum; otherwise i wouldn’t be able to sleep. I have not perceived the hum in San Diego, is it possible that the city noise pollution could be masking the hum in San Diego city? I’ve slept at the cabins at Lake Henshaw Resort, the hum is there too, but definitely less audible and less penetrating than in Mesa Grande (Santa Ysabel) or Ramona.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,277 times
In Ramona The above mentioned hum can pulsate or hum for 1-2 seconds... or go as long as 10 continuous seconds, it has intermitent relays, pauses for 1-2 seconds and continues: 24/7... whereas in Mesa Grande it can pause for a bit longer, maybe 5 to 7 seconds, within each one minute interval. In both Ramona and Mesa Grande these are audible 24/7

Old 05-09-2019, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,201 times
YES! I'm in the Shadowridge area of Vista and hear this all the time. If someone can help me figure it out I would be most grateful.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,201 times
I live a few blocks East of S. Melrose Drive in Vista and previously lived on the West side of S. Melrose and both houses, I feel and hear the hum often usually at night. To me it sounds like an oil rigger or something like that as the hum is monotone, but then seems to shift gears and increase in pitch before returning to the monotonous hum. When the pitch changes, it is almost as if a sputter of a machine is heard as whatever it is ramps up further. I am fairly close to an Albertsons and thought maybe semi-truck drivers are parked behind the store with engines idling....or maybe a trash compactor or something to do with that mall, but I have been unable to isolate it and find where or what it is.

Honestly in this case, I don't buy the "HUM" theory because I have never experienced it anywhere but the two residents in Vista, both very close to South Melrose. We should plan a meet up some evening and go about cracking this case.

It is there though and it is something we can point a finger to for sure.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,052 times
Anyone hear/feel this again near Imperial Beach, CA circa 02/09/2021?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego