Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2017, 12:43 PM

29 posts, read 20,568 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon, I have been considering a move to SD as opposed to LA. Unfortunately, I am looking to rent a home with some roommates and can't seem to find one that permits larger dogs. I am bringing along a 55lb Belgian Shepard and it isn't an option to leave her behind. Anybody have any input or an explanation? I can't seem to find many reasonable options that are okay with dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 12:50 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times
San Diego Humane Society has a list of rescues on their site. Look up rescues for malinois', GSDs, etc. See if they have a listing of "friendly" landlords.

I recall seeing an article about trying to persuade landlords to give you & your dog a chance... it mentioned things like a "dog resume", reference letters (yes really!), showing that you carry liability coverage, etc.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:44 PM

334 posts, read 363,093 times
In what neighborhoods are you looking?

I moved to SD with a 55lb pit-lab mix and was able to find quite a few apartments that accepted larger dogs with no breed restrictions just using craigslist. Tick the box for "dogs allowed" and then double check the listing (or the property management site) to see if they have weight limits.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:14 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkedem1 View Post
Good afternoon, I have been considering a move to SD as opposed to LA. Unfortunately, I am looking to rent a home with some roommates and can't seem to find one that permits larger dogs. I am bringing along a 55lb Belgian Shepard and it isn't an option to leave her behind. Anybody have any input or an explanation? I can't seem to find many reasonable options that are okay with dogs.
Are you just searching for "San Diego" or are you searching for "San Diego County"? If you search for San Diego County, more listings will turn up on Zillow, Craigslist and other sites.

On your other thread, you said you are looking for a 4 bedroom house, with a price under $3200 that will also allow dogs. Part of the challenge is going to be that there aren't many 4 bedroom homes in that price range in the central areas of the city of San Diego. So, you're going to need to search a bit farther afield. Using San Diego County as your search term, instead of just San Diego, will turn up more options.

Even if they say "small dogs" I woudn't assume that rules your dog out --- to some people, a 50 lb. dog is "medium sized" so may be considered. My daughter has a 45 pound dog and had no trouble finding an apartment (but she was only looking for a two bedroom, and only at apartments and condos).

Your best bet is to contact the landlords directly after you move here and let them meet your dog. I would not recommend renting sight unseen in any case.

Of course, since you aren't moving for a few months, any ads you find today won't be available when you move here (or even later this week), but searching the entire county will give you and your potential roommates some ideas of the type of places and locations that you might find in your budget.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-22-2017 at 08:03 PM..

Old 03-22-2017, 07:38 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Do any of your roommates know what area they'll be working in yet?

Old 03-22-2017, 07:53 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Do any of your roommates know what area they'll be working in yet?
In his other thread here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...moving-la.html

he said 2 of the 4 roommates plan to work at T-moble stores, but don't have specific stores lined up yet.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:38 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
In 2008 my wife and I got a puppy that ended up being a 50 pound dog and later another dog that ended up being 35 pounds. We've lived in Spring Valley, La Mesa, El Cajon, and Pacific Beach since 2008, always in houses, always three bedroom/two baths. Got the dogs in every single time. Your number of options will be limited by bigger/multiple dogs, but we found places every single time.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:14 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,742,177 times
You might find a place and if it isn't dog friendly, offer to pay a deposit and a little bit more to have your dog. That's what my buddy did, and the landlord went for it. It may not work with all, but it's worth a shot. Craiglist is good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego