Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 04:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Right. Anywhere most people DON'T want to be.
You mean where most stupid people do not want to be.

There are excellent places all over the Country and have a far better COL than the "popular" places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 05:29 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
That humid cold goes to the bone.

I didn't know people work longer hours in Manhattan compared to other areas in similiar occupations.

More gang issues on Long Island compared to say 10 years ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlec View Post
Truthfully I do not know if that is true for every single profession but my friends who live in other smaller cities definitely do not work 60-70 hours a week nearly as much as those close to me who live in Manhattan. Granted a lot of the extra working is overtime so people can have extra spending money / afford their apartments

Yes gang issues are getting quite bad here. Multiple stabbings and killings here lately and tons of heroine overdoses. The cops honestly can't keep up. They keep busting pretty large heroine and pill operations and finding a few hundred thousand dollars in these drug houses. It's insane.

Brentwood, central islip,and north bellport have all had young children murdered recently by gangs. Those aren't the nicest areas they are pretty impoverished compared to other Long Island neighborhoods however the issue is they border / are extremely close to really nice neighborhoods so people are freaking out.

A friend in the NY area said "You have to keep going for that extra dollar".

Central Islip borders Hauppauge. Hauppauge is an area with plenty of industry for a suburb. The residential areas around there are nice. The people there and in other good areas are not going to tolerate things like above happening in their parts.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:25 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You mean where most stupid people do not want to be.

There are excellent places all over the Country and have a far better COL than the "popular" places.
There are two americas the cities/coasts and the middle belly. You can't take someone used to being on the coast and stuff them into the middle belly. They won't fit. People aren't stupid for it they just aren't accustomed to that way of life.

There is a reason some places are more *desired over others.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:34 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
There are two americas the cities/coasts and the middle belly. You can't take someone used to being on the coast and stuff them into the middle belly. They won't fit. People aren't stupid for it they just aren't accustomed to that way of life.

There is a reason some places are more *desired over others.
Never been to Vail Co?

Old 04-23-2017, 01:43 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Never been to Vail Co?

To go skiing.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:01 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Well, we are out of here May 1st. I am sure I will get some "good riddances" ....I have grown up here and always vehemently defended my home, but I just can't take it anymore. Oceanside was one of the last quiet towns and they have all but ruined it. Home prices are way out of my range, the new gas tax for "fixing roads" is a f*** joke and just another way to tap our already strained pocketbooks, and the crowds/traffic have finally gotten to me. LA is slowly taking over. Southern California has lost most of its luster. It slowly became the stresses outweighing the perfect weather and coastal living.

Anyways, I am bummed but excited about our new adventure at the same time. My kiddos will have room to roam, some livestock to raise, and a decent sized house once we get moved and settled. I'll be spending most of my time on the back of a horse, so I am getting back to some roots. We are going to give it a solid year in our new digs whether we love oit or hate it. We know we can always come back at any time if we just miss it too much, but something tells me we are ready for this change.

Anyways, I'll still check in here and see how SD is hanging with those in the know. Thanks for the good times! LOL
I have always wondered what it was like for a socal person going to somewhere like bozeman or colorado and saying wow 350k for a single family home what a bargin lol. While simultanoiusly raising the real estate costs for the natives of those areas. Pretty soon people that want to live somewhere like bozeman without the new socal price tags will have to go the mountians of Russia.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:08 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Just curious, it sounds like you've been here a very long time and you already have kids. Were you not in a position to buy earlier before housing costs skyrocketed? Seems like this situation could have been avoided had you bought earlier.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:36 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
Just curious, it sounds like you've been here a very long time and you already have kids. Were you not in a position to buy earlier before housing costs skyrocketed? Seems like this situation could have been avoided had you bought earlier.
OP took care to say, multiple times, housing costs were just one of a multitude of factors for the move. The others include California's insane taxes and fees, traffic is a nightmare, too many people chasing too few resources, and available jobs/income simply do not square with the markedly increased cost of living. A house will fix none of this. And we felt precisely as the OP did. Moved our business, employees, and ourselves out of San Diego. Very good move for us. Very good.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:07 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
The last two sentences sound like they came from Donald Trump's mouth lol... Anyways I bet the OP would feel somewhat differently if they had bought a while ago and were sitting on a ton of equity

Old 04-23-2017, 02:20 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
Good luck.... I know many of us have thought about doing this but don't have the fortitude to actually make the step. I have a college who is moving to South Carolina and is able to buy a new build for 250K.

I'm looking at homes in SD now and 800K might get you 2,000 sq ft on a tiny lot in a good area. I have a hard time justifying it. Look anywhere outside of the top 10 highest COL areas and 800K buys you a mansion with acres of space.
Ridiculous. $800K means you have signed over your entire life to a bank, all for the privilege of living where there is good weather. I'll stay on the other side of the country, with my paid off house (2/3 the size of the 2,000 sq foot described above, and bought for well under $100K). Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego