Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 11:56 PM

99 posts, read 368,828 times

Advertisements

Do you guys know if this area is safe to live? I'm somewhat worried about gangs/crime in Oceanside.

4401 Mission Ave Oceanside, CA 92057
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 02:40 PM

254 posts, read 1,183,516 times
It's pretty suburban, even though Mission is a main road through Oceanside. If you were further west on Mission I'd be hesitant to live there, but this area is surrounded by fairly newer subdivisions and apartment complexes, as well as some shopping centers I think. It's not the most exciting part of town, but I wouldn't worry about my safety there.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbykt View Post
It's pretty suburban, even though Mission is a main road through Oceanside. If you were further west on Mission I'd be hesitant to live there, but this area is surrounded by fairly newer subdivisions and apartment complexes, as well as some shopping centers I think. It's not the most exciting part of town, but I wouldn't worry about my safety there.
I found some places for rent (in RED) which run for about $1300/m, which is my budgeted rate. Are there any areas shown that should be avoided?

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd44/tsuyoi_racing/carls.jpg (broken link)

thanks

Old 03-17-2008, 05:45 PM

254 posts, read 1,183,516 times
Where will you be working? Traffic in north county can back up in some areas so what looks like it should be a 10 minute drive can sometimes take 30, depending on time of day, so that can be a huge consideration too. Also- do I remember from a previous post that you are a single guy? I guess you don't carry about the family-friendliness of these places, right?

Some of the places west of the 5 might be sketchy. It's pretty hit or miss, and you can find some great little beach bungalows and condos, but there is also a little bit of a rundown feel. You'd have to look at those on a case by case basis I think.

Personally, I'd rather stay south of the 76 in Oceanside. I spend most of my time in Carlsbad- shopping, dining, etc- and I like to be just a little bit closer. I even prefer the beaches in Carlsbad. I don't know how you feel about the military, but you're more likely to have a lot more military neighbors the further north you go. Also, the more north you are the more likely you are to hear practice bombing on base.

I've lived in both of those areas highlighted on the 78 in Oceanside, and both are great. Very convenient access to just about everything. Heading out towards San Marcos, I think you could probably get even more for your money, but it's less desirable of a place to live for most people.

La Costa is a great area- there isn't a whole lot super close by, but it's centrally located to just about everything, if that makes sense. It's the one place on your map that I would not hesitate to rent sight unseen.

And sorry, but I couldn't tell you a thing about Rancho Bernardo. I stay sheltered in my little North County coastal world.

I used to live in Oceanside, and we are moving back down there. I just got back from a week long house hunting trip, pretty much focused on south Oceanside and Carlsbad, so I'm happy to answer anything I can. My focus is a little different, as I'm a mom and married, but I can hopefully help you anyway.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbykt View Post
Where will you be working? Traffic in north county can back up in some areas so what looks like it should be a 10 minute drive can sometimes take 30, depending on time of day, so that can be a huge consideration too. Also- do I remember from a previous post that you are a single guy? I guess you don't carry about the family-friendliness of these places, right?

Some of the places west of the 5 might be sketchy. It's pretty hit or miss, and you can find some great little beach bungalows and condos, but there is also a little bit of a rundown feel. You'd have to look at those on a case by case basis I think.

Personally, I'd rather stay south of the 76 in Oceanside. I spend most of my time in Carlsbad- shopping, dining, etc- and I like to be just a little bit closer. I even prefer the beaches in Carlsbad. I don't know how you feel about the military, but you're more likely to have a lot more military neighbors the further north you go. Also, the more north you are the more likely you are to hear practice bombing on base.

I've lived in both of those areas highlighted on the 78 in Oceanside, and both are great. Very convenient access to just about everything. Heading out towards San Marcos, I think you could probably get even more for your money, but it's less desirable of a place to live for most people.

La Costa is a great area- there isn't a whole lot super close by, but it's centrally located to just about everything, if that makes sense. It's the one place on your map that I would not hesitate to rent sight unseen.

And sorry, but I couldn't tell you a thing about Rancho Bernardo. I stay sheltered in my little North County coastal world.

I used to live in Oceanside, and we are moving back down there. I just got back from a week long house hunting trip, pretty much focused on south Oceanside and Carlsbad, so I'm happy to answer anything I can. My focus is a little different, as I'm a mom and married, but I can hopefully help you anyway.
Thanks for the much useful info. I work West of San Marcos. So from what you're saying, South of 78, West of 15, and North of Del Dios? I found nothing along beach-side, Weat of 5.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:43 PM

69 posts, read 166,724 times
Oceanside can get pretty dirty, but theres decent areas too...Stay away from Mission by the 5...Fire Mountain area is nice...

Old 03-19-2008, 12:19 AM

132 posts, read 627,961 times
My opinion of Oceanside is pretty dismal, given that I was almost mugged and assaulted in downtown. Oceanside has one of the highest rates of crime in north county and while there are some nice places, overall it's kinda, well, not great.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
The little red area in La Costa (El Camino Real and Alga) would easily be my choice out of those options. I'm sure it would be a much smaller place, but the apartment complexes there are surrounded by upper/middle class homes. You'll also have close access to everything in Encinitas by just going a few miles South on El Camino Real.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:39 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
A lot of of those areas are the bad areas. Downtown O'side is hit-and-miss. Eastside O'side (just east of I-5) is gangland. I may be wrong but I believe the red boxes in Vista and San Marcos are also the bad areas. The one in O'side just north of 78 is probably OK as is the La Costa and Rancho Bernardo spots.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:28 AM

264 posts, read 1,390,900 times
Avoid the red area between the 78 freeway and San Marcos Blvd. Houses are cute, but it's a known gang area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego