Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 11:11 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times

Advertisements

Guess we're not dead yet.

SAN DIEGO — The city of San Diego had the eighth largest population increase between July 1, 2017 and July 1, 2018 among cities with populations of 50,000 or more, according to U.S. Census Bureau figures released Thursday.

Figures showed that during the 12-month period ending July 1, 2018, the population of “America’s Finest City” grew by 11,549 people, a near 1 percent growth from the previous year.

San Diego was the only city in California to make the top 10 for largest population gains in the latest report.

https://fox5sandiego.com/2019/05/23/...or-u-s-cities/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 11:23 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
For those wondering, here are the 10 fastest growing large cities, based on numeric growth (actual number of people moving to the city). Note: It appears that these are just the actual cities, not the Metro areas, i.e. city of San Diego, not San Diego-Carlsbad metro statistical area.

Link to the Census bureau press release, which shows additional information, such as the cities with the biggest percentage increase (not actual numbers), is at the bottom.

1. Phoenix, AZ

2. San Antonio, TX

3. Fort Worth, TX

4. Seattle, WA

5. Charlotte, NC

6. Austin, TX

7. Jacksonville, FL

8. San Diego, CA

9. Denver, CO

10. Frisco City, TX

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...estimates.html

Old 05-26-2019, 02:36 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Phoenix has a huge land area: over 500 sq miles.
San Diego has 325 sq miles of buildable land. Most of which is already built.

The City of Phoenix will grow like a weed. Cheap housing, cheap nuclear power, no snow, plenty of cheap Colorado River water, and lots of bare land for new houses / condos / apts.

The Palo Verde Nuclear Plant in Phoenix provides such cheap power to residents that most homeowners see no need for solar power roof tops. What a waste of sun power.

The City of San Diego is pretty much totally built out. Try to buy a new house in San Diego. It's usually an infill project where the land had a prior purpose ie. a bowling alley.

Numbers don't lie. San Diego home prices have no where to go but up. Just watch the procession of cars on I-8 from Phoenix to San Diego during the summer months.

I am entertaining lots of old Phoenix friends this summer. All they need is a cheap place to stay and Phoenix is in their rearview mirror.

Last edited by cruitr; 05-26-2019 at 03:01 AM..

Old 05-26-2019, 03:13 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
I didn't realize they factored homeless into their growth numbers…

On a more serious note, that's a real nice area. It doesn't surprise me. I have fond memories of my time living in Sunset Cliffs.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:19 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post

On a more serious note, that's a real nice area. It doesn't surprise me. I have fond memories of my time living in Sunset Cliffs.
Sunset Cliffs is incredible. We rented a house there but we can't afford to buy in the area. $2M doesn't buy much in Sunset Cliffs.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:58 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post

Could be asylum seekers

Old 05-26-2019, 06:14 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Phoenix has a huge land area: over 500 sq miles.
San Diego has 325 sq miles of buildable land. Most of which is already built.

The City of Phoenix will grow like a weed. Cheap housing, cheap nuclear power, no snow, plenty of cheap Colorado River water, and lots of bare land for new houses / condos / apts.

The Palo Verde Nuclear Plant in Phoenix provides such cheap power to residents that most homeowners see no need for solar power roof tops. What a waste of sun power.

The City of San Diego is pretty much totally built out. Try to buy a new house in San Diego. It's usually an infill project where the land had a prior purpose ie. a bowling alley.

Numbers don't lie. San Diego home prices have no where to go but up. Just watch the procession of cars on I-8 from Phoenix to San Diego during the summer months.

I am entertaining lots of old Phoenix friends this summer. All they need is a cheap place to stay and Phoenix is in their rearview mirror.
Heh. And Seattle has 83.76 square miles. All built out. And yet ... the area is exploding with growth like no other over the past decade.

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of a cancer cell.” - Edward Abbey

None of this is good news for San Diego ... or Seattle.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:45 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Could be asylum seekers
What year did your ancestors seek asylum here? Mine in the 1890's or so. I'm a fourth-generation true blooded amerikan and have sired the fifth. Does that count or not?

Old 05-26-2019, 10:18 AM

38 posts, read 33,203 times
This is bad news until SD can figure out it's housing crisis. The city can start by removing bureaucratic red tape that prevents developers, you know from actually building new development. If I'm not mistaken, I think the county only gives out 10,000 new permits a year. The city values single family homes over high rises, but if they won't allow developers to start building vertically to solve the housing crises, SD will continue to deal with astronomical housing prices that continue to rise.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:37 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9p1 View Post
This is bad news until SD can figure out it's housing crisis. The city can start by removing bureaucratic red tape that prevents developers, you know from actually building new development. If I'm not mistaken, I think the county only gives out 10,000 new permits a year. The city values single family homes over high rises, but if they won't allow developers to start building vertically to solve the housing crises, SD will continue to deal with astronomical housing prices that continue to rise.
And if we do allow developers to build vertically we will continue to deal with increasing congestion and gridlock.

Solution?

Fewer people ...

How ya gonna do dat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego