Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 02:12 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times

Advertisements

I heard that Singapore is a fine city as there is a hefty fine attached with many things you can think of such as spitting, jaywalking, gum chewing. Interestingly some posters say San Diego would fine $1000 for not wearing a mask. I guess he means up to $1000.
Though it appears Santa Cruz had been most heavy handed city and county in during this pandemic handing out hundreds of citations when their population is only 64,725. Yet I heard 249 citations were handed in the month of April. The city and county were pretty much carried away by issuing citations. I guess this means they probably hand out a lot to offset the lack of certain traffic tickets they would had given out normally.
While San Diego and surrounding cities and counties probably totaled less than 149 citations in relation to masks and other COVID 19 related citations in a population of 1.4 million approximate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 02:53 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I heard that Singapore is a fine city as there is a hefty fine attached with many things you can think of such as spitting, jaywalking, gum chewing. Interestingly some posters say San Diego would fine $1000 for not wearing a mask. I guess he means up to $1000.
Though it appears Santa Cruz had been most heavy handed city and county in during this pandemic handing out hundreds of citations when their population is only 64,725. Yet I heard 249 citations were handed in the month of April. The city and county were pretty much carried away by issuing citations. I guess this means they probably hand out a lot to offset the lack of certain traffic tickets they would had given out normally.
While San Diego and surrounding cities and counties probably totaled less than 149 citations in relation to masks and other COVID 19 related citations in a population of 1.4 million approximate.
Jaywalking? Wow, the city could really rake it in around Linda Vista, City Heights or down town.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:55 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
If you have something topical to contribute to the discussion, please, don't hold back.
Why did you feel the need for personal insults? I wasnt even replying to you.
So you dont have a problem with
four companies (Convair, Ryan, Rohr, and Astronautics) each year were generating 792,000 gallons of chromic, hydrofluoric, nitric, sulfuric, and hydrochloric acids; dichromate; cyanide; and paint and oil wastes....

...in some cases, these toxic substances were buried in steel drums. Other times they were poured into unlined holes 15 to 20 feet deep, below the level of the groundwater."

Or the consistent efforts of several generations of city leaders to keep quiet about it. With no warnings whatsoever to people letting their children swim a stones throw away, no ongoing testing. Others do have a problem with it.
It's amusing that you are so riled up about San Diego's pollution, when just about every single waterway or body of water in every American city is absolutely disgusting and polluted.

The standards are pretty low, so yeah, I would consider San Diego's beaches to be among the finest natural resources amongst U.S. cities.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:02 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Jaywalking? .
I prefer Jivetalking

Old 05-20-2020, 08:24 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Went to college down there at UCSD. If you're speaking about La Jolla, its tough to beat. Great weather (although it can be persistently foggy), beautiful beaches and coastline and wealthy, manicured mansions/businesses, etc. But, I don't think SD in general is America's Finest.

Its not exactly the most exciting city-life, sort of a bland culture, subpar job market, inferior public transportation and airport, bad traffic and very expensive housing. I live in the SF Bay Area now and would say there's a ton more to offer here vs SD.

Its not that SD is bad, per se. If I had unlimited funds and were looking to retire, I'd consider moving back to La Jolla or another one of the nice coastal communities. But, that's more of a vacation/retirement lifestyle vs looking for the most amazing city life.
Interesting that you would move here only with unlimited funds, as I would say that exact thing about the Bay Area! As a Bay Area native and longtime resident who's now in SD full time, I would agree that the Bay Area as a whole has way more to offer of everything, but... (1) you're really just talking about SF as the only major hub of city life and culture, and (2) the COL for the average person not living in the most expensive neighborhoods of SD is about half of what most people pay throughout the entire Bay Area, including the bland suburbs of Silicon Valley. SV is one of the most expensive places to live, and it's also one of the most boring and unattractive too. So for us, we ultimately chose to live in what I'd consider a "medium sized" city (by metro area size) with lots of great amenities (Balboa Park, waterfront, coast, mountains, small wineries, hiking, etc.) and very good but not world class museums, symphony, culinary scene, etc. for much , much cheaper. SD isn't SF, that's true, but if it were in the Bay Area, it would be the second most culturally vibrant city, certainly far more exciting and bustling than San Jose or Oakland. In fact, if you took SF out of the Bay Area equation, then you'd really have a much worse metro area than SD with better jobs being the only advantage. So it's really SF that's the main draw. Is it worth the price? It used to be. Ten years ago, we wouldn't have moved here full time yet (but owned a townhome and a rental condo), bc SD was just too uninteresting, but since then, millennials have really brought up the craft beer, third wave coffee, architecture and design, and culinary scenes here, which are important to us. I can basically get anything here nowadays that back in the day we used to only be able to get in the Bay Area, so we're not lacking for anything.

If prices were the same, or if we had unlimited funds, we'd still live in the Bay Area (ideally, Marin County), but they're not, and we don't, and for the price of a small, old house in an average suburb 40 minutes from SF, we live in a huge, newer house on a half acre, surrounded by hiking trails, 20 minutes from beaches and urban SD. The value per dollar spent here is way better, and I just don't see paying double for maybe twenty percent better lifestyle. In that regard, SD metro, IMO, is California's sweet spot, as I think daily life in mid sized cities is in general. (Some of Europe's most liveable cities are the midsized ones -- think Lyon vs Paris, Nürnberg vs Munich, Budapest vs Vienna, etc.) Less congestion, less cost, but all the amenities of a big city on a somewhat more modest scale. And we're only a two hour drive to LA or a 90 minute flight to the Bay.

There are lots more interesting things about SD not mentioned, as well, if you explore them and engage in the local arts and lecture circuits. Much more interesting from the inside than the outside. :-)

Old 05-20-2020, 08:29 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
As for the dumb and nondescript slogan "America's Finest City," I'd say it's in line with equally dumb ones like "The Big Apple," "The Big Easy," or "The City by the Bay," which don't say much of anything. City slogans are always the embarrassment of anywhere that has one

Old 05-20-2020, 12:34 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
As for the dumb and nondescript slogan "America's Finest City," I'd say it's in line with equally dumb ones like "The Big Apple," "The Big Easy," or "The City by the Bay," which don't say much of anything. City slogans are always the embarrassment of anywhere that has one
I had never heard "America's Finest City" until I moved to SoCal. Big Easy/Apple are way more legit as slogans.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:18 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Big Easy/Apple are way more legit as slogans.
So feel free to explain what "the big apple" even means, and then what makes it legit.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:50 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
So feel free to explain what "the big apple" even means, and then what makes it legit.
Google it yourself, if you're that interested.

Old 05-21-2020, 03:21 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Google it yourself, if you're that interested.
Which means you don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego