Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 10:46 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^ This, SD and CA in general is not conducive to small business which includes restaurants. No doubt in my mind that there are good chefs/cooks in SD, it is just hard on run an eatery in SD with profit margins being so thin which leads to many chain restaurants.

TJ is much less restrictive PLUS they have good local culinary schools. I know of SD chefs passionate about their food that prefer having a restaurant in TJ because the regs and bottom line are better.

Maybe in July, their COVID measures didn't start until mid April so they are a few weeks behind US. I do miss TJ. :-( I'm even worried to go to Texas right now, my home state, as the cases are on the rise there.
Agree on both fronts.

I may even stay away from TJ until the Fall. There will be many people going before me to wage the risk value.

2nd wave/flu season perhaps ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 11:15 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Huh?

I don't think the places you are referring to are "hold in the wall" if they are trying to mimic anything. They are usually nondescript and unassuming. Maybe that's just my understanding.
Without naming names, I'm talking about "by the slice" pizza joints in San Diego that try to emulate northeastern establishments. Its just not happening. Its not that they don't have decent pizza, but in SD you're probably better off going with a national chain.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:41 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Chelsea in the 20's.

Also pizza in Manhattan at least 5 years ago when I left was garbage. Due to high rents everyone was using canned veggies for the pizza. NOT at Tony's. Everything is fresh and affordable at 25 pesos a slice.

As a native NY'er I can tell you TONY's IS THE REAL DEAL. The only thing missing is the garlic salt on the tables.
Is now the Rail Line Diner. Still good though. I remember when it was the Moonlight. Across the street is the Chelsea Square, and Ray's Pizzeria.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:42 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Without naming names, I'm talking about "by the slice" pizza joints in San Diego that try to emulate northeastern establishments. Its just not happening. Its not that they don't have decent pizza, but in SD you're probably better off going with a national chain.
I'm not sure I'd write off the San Diego restaurant scene over pizza.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:02 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Why are we talking about NYC and TJ?

Old 05-29-2020, 08:22 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Why are we talking about NYC and TJ?
Because it’s apparently the only place to get good pizza, and in TJ’s case, the only place to get good food in the entire region.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:27 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Because it’s apparently the only place to get good pizza, and in TJ’s case, the only place to get good food in the entire region.
TRUE

Old 05-29-2020, 11:15 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,804,642 times
I'm a foodie...I workout so I can be a foodie. I'm interested in finding underrated SD restaurants. Please share

Old 05-29-2020, 11:15 AM

675 posts, read 645,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

Buca Di Beppo is the only SD Italian place that stands out to me. Huge portions and good dining experience, but you would almost certainly find better places in random small towns in Illinois or Ohio.
Is Buca HQed in SD ("SD Italian place")? Never been, but I saw one in Pittsburgh, PA, and it's menu looked quite good, but I've not gone.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:59 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
Is Buca HQed in SD ("SD Italian place")? Never been, but I saw one in Pittsburgh, PA, and it's menu looked quite good, but I've not gone.
Buca is one of the worst places I’ve ever been. Horrible food. It’s a much Italian as Taco Bell is Mexican food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego