Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 06:47 AM

10 posts, read 11,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hken View Post
OP, I used to live in Burlingame (wife loved it, weather was not too hot and she thought the little downtown was perfect) and now live in RSF so I think I have an idea of what you want and RSF isn't it...gets pretty hot vs the coast...about 1 degree for every mile in. Wife hates the heat and there is WAY more landscaping than we thought. We have to pay a landscaper for weekly service not to mention most homes in RSF are going to have an HOA...and yes the broadband is terrible especially when you consider the avg price of homes here. I don't think Olivenhein is much better other than its closer to doing shopping in Encinitas. Wife thought is was 'blah' neighborhood.

I work in La Jolla and wouldn't live there...great weather but traffic can be terrible depending where you are. I was actually pretty impressed with Cardiff. It's a nice little area and I really don't think the noise is bad especially if you get a smaller home that has trees and other nearby homes help insulate the noise.

Not sure why San Diego is the place to be if you have flexibility. I used to live in Malibu and would take that over San Diego any day. Also some of the OC hoods I think make good retirement destinations like Mission Viejo.
You are right - Burlingame is really nice and we like it a lot. The downtown is areas neat, much safer than Oakland, better services, etc. Ridiculously pricey right now.

Your comments and the others are proving to be very helpful. San Diego is attractive - have visited many times and always liked it. But, certainly not married to it. I have been looking all over the state, gauging against climate, $, safety, health care (Kaiser strongly preferred - I know the place inside out as a former exec), etc.

We lived in Mission Viejo for 6 years and Newport for 6 years. Liked MV and loved Newport. I am more spoiled now and Mission Viejo is too hot and crowded. And, by having left, I think I have priced myself out of Newport. I have been scanning the southern tip of the area - San Clemente and San Juan Capistrano and thereabouts. I don't care about the commute, there is none for me.

I am not locked in at all. If the facts (vs fantasy) of SD don't add up, the it is out. I have also thought about the Central Coast (SLO, Pismo Beach, etc.) - maybe too small towny, isolated. Healthcare is remote. Same for Monterey (we actually vacation every year in Carmel for a few days) and Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz actually seems much more affordable and the weather is awesome. Crime is not great and Kaiser is there - but the hospital (Watsonville for now) sucks.

Another comparison to share my thinking and invite challenge from these helpful posters - Santa Rosa has been on my list. The barriers seem to be the weather being warmer than I am seeking and the fire danger (I know it can happen everywhere but the last few years have been abysmal disasters).

Regarding RSF, the comments about the weather, upkeep and driving are super helpful. I have noticed that the houses are much bigger than elsewhere (don't need THAT much) and the lots are huge (same). These things do drive me back to more coastal spots like Cardiff etc.

I know I am going to need to compromise - relax some criteria - but am starting out with my list and trying to really understand the facts of what can be done.

PS I want to keep thanking the several posters. I have not been on this forum before and the thoughtful comments and helpfulness are terrific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 12:29 PM

5,778 posts, read 4,741,693 times
If your priorities are coastal weather and walkability, then I'd direct you to La Jolla, Del Mar or Cardiff.

RSF was created for horse-lovers, hence the large lots. Minimum lot size within the Covenant is 2.5 acres.

Olivenhain is RSF-lite. It's very similar to RSF, just one step below in appeal/snobbiness, but still warmer than the coast and has large acre-plus lots so will have lots of upkeep. There are traffic issues getting in/out of Olivenhain also.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:59 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,524,983 times
Personally I would skip RSF. Large lots, huge power and water bills, drive everywhere. La Jolla is crowded as is Point Loma. There are beautiful homes there but if you dont need to be close to a job center I couldn't spend 5M on a home and then have tourists partying in AirBNBs next door. It's city of SD which means no law enforcement, broken roads etc.
If money was no object, I would live in Del Mar. Cardiff / Coastal Encinitas is the next best option IMO. Carlsbad is nice but IMO is crowded. Be aware you are trading "crazies" for "drunk people living their best life on vacation" when you live near the beach in SD. Why SD County? You're going to be paying premium for housing here and I'm not totally sure why? I agree with the other poster that mentioned Malibu... and all points north of there. You're out of the crowds and traffic jams and tourists and there's hundreds of miles of clean coasts, mountains and canyons to enjoy without all the riff raff and snooty people.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 08-12-2020 at 03:08 PM..

Old 08-12-2020, 04:19 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,866,044 times
Have you looked into Santa Barbara? It’s an awesome place

Old 08-12-2020, 10:53 PM

21 posts, read 10,910 times
How about Coronado?

Old 08-12-2020, 11:24 PM

10,380 posts, read 6,934,361 times
OP~
You mention "noise" as a factor in your posts, so this is an important aspect. While I-5 can be noisy, you aren't considering the trains. The tracks are West of 5. There are approx. 25 trains a day. The freighter roles thru those beach towns at 0230-0330 everyday. They take great joy in BLASTING the horn at every stop, and crossing. (The only place they don't do this obnoxious blast is in Solana Beach, as the train tracks are below grade.) I live 1 and a half miles from the tracks, and my hearing is lousy, and I can hear them! LOL!
With your budget, you should be able to find a nice, comfortable place within a half mile of the beach. Don't forget, if you're too close to the beach, you're gonna get weekend beach traffic. Just think of those Harley's as they go rumblin' by...

Old 08-13-2020, 09:22 AM

10 posts, read 11,187 times
Noise follow up question.

My understanding is that, very generally speaking, one needs to be about a mile from a freeway to make the freeway traffic noise pretty unnoticeable.

Given that assumption, I may want to look about 1 mile east of the 5. But, back to the weather.......How different is the weather about 1 mile - 2 miles east of the freeway compared to the western section?????

I will be checking it all out as best I can when we finally get in the car, but I want to focus as tightly as I can.

BTW, the other area I have started to check out is south Orange County. Never thought I would do that, but since I do not care about a work commute, Dana Point, San Clemente, Monarch Beach and thereabouts may work for me. The weather is great by the coast. Hard to know from afar if the cultures are much different. I should check a comparative ratio of plastic surgeons to total population.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:44 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,795,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchjg View Post
Noise follow up question.

My understanding is that, very generally speaking, one needs to be about a mile from a freeway to make the freeway traffic noise pretty unnoticeable.

Given that assumption, I may want to look about 1 mile east of the 5. But, back to the weather.......How different is the weather about 1 mile - 2 miles east of the freeway compared to the western section?????

I will be checking it all out as best I can when we finally get in the car, but I want to focus as tightly as I can.

BTW, the other area I have started to check out is south Orange County. Never thought I would do that, but since I do not care about a work commute, Dana Point, San Clemente, Monarch Beach and thereabouts may work for me. The weather is great by the coast. Hard to know from afar if the cultures are much different. I should check a comparative ratio of plastic surgeons to total population.
Never lived close to the I5, but have been near it many times and unless within a block or two, never heard any traffic. Trains are a different story but pass by quickly and you get used to them.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:29 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,506,309 times
What is it about North County that attracts you? Based on what you've said so far, it seems like the parts of San Diego you should be checking out are south of La Jolla. Have you looked at anything in Crown Point? Point Loma? Coronado? Going slightly further away from the ocean, Mission Hills is nice and you can avoid freeway noise if you find the right spot. Bay Park is the same to some degree. You should also look at some of San Diego's most attractive older neighborhoods like University Heights and Kensington. All are cute, walkable areas with low crime. Plus you don't have to worry about upkeep on a very large lot like you would find in Rancho Santa Fe. Weather is nice in all these areas. Warmer than Oakland but still not as hot as someplace like Walnut Creek. I think Kensington is about as far inland as you can get before it's actually hot out during the summer.

If California is open, I suggest you look on the Central Coast. San Luis Obispo is nice. Monterey is sleepy but could work. Santa Cruz can be charming but has some of the same crime and homelessness problems you find in the Bay Area. SLO, Monterey, and San Diego have a slower pace of life than the Bay Area. Santa Cruz is mixed. Santa Barbara is chill but traffic really sucks, so that might get to you after a while.

Old 08-13-2020, 01:09 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,189,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchjg View Post
...I will be checking it all out as best I can when we finally get in the car, but I want to focus as tightly as I can.

Have you considered staying a month or two in various cities that make your shortlist?
If I were in your shoes, that's what I'd do before making a commitment to any particular place - my feeling is that you don't really get to know the character of an area without spending a fair amount of time there, immersed in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego