Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 09:36 AM

192 posts, read 251,549 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are looking to buy a new construction or newer construction home in San Diego. I’m looking for recommendations on areas! It seems like the newer communities are in Escondido and Santee. We are currently living in Stonecrest Community near SDCCU stadium. We absolutely love our neighborhood but homes here that meet our requirements aren’t often available or over our budget.

Our budget is $800k with some flexibility. My office is in RB (Although I’ve been working from home since March) and my husband is a stay at home daddy right now. He plans to go back to work at some point (he’s an attorney). I know there’s plenty of communities in the millions but we aren’t comfortable stretching to that especially in the current economy. That being said. Interest rates are amazing right now and we just need to do it! This will be the home we raise our kids so not short term! Thank you for recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 12:50 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,473 times
Have you done a search for new construction on a real estate site? Here is a Rancho Bernardo development in your price range: https://www.zillow.com/community/pac...82462255_zpid/

Old 08-20-2020, 01:06 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,178,804 times
The one tidbit of advice I'd throw in when considering new construction is to look VERY closely how much the Mello-Roos is; every community will be different - and it (potentially) could be a VERY substantial amount of $ on your Property Tax Bill.

Oh - and also consider if you're going to be in the Poway Unified School District - their Capital Appreciation Bonds start coming due in about eleven years - which will mean a hit on affected properties at that time.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:33 PM

771 posts, read 835,900 times
Building new yourself will come at a premium in terms of how much home you get for any given budget.

On almost all major real estate sites like Redfin, you can do an advanced search that includes the year built criterion.

Old 08-20-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Have you done a search for new construction on a real estate site? Here is a Rancho Bernardo development in your price range: https://www.zillow.com/community/pac...82462255_zpid/
Thank you! I am familiar with this neighborhood, it is adjacent to I-15 and the homes are so small with no yards, so not a great value for our budget!

Old 08-20-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
Building new yourself will come at a premium in terms of how much home you get for any given budget.

On almost all major real estate sites like Redfin, you can do an advanced search that includes the year built criterion.
I don't want to buy a lot and build a home at this time. It will take at least 2 years and we don't want to wait that long! My friend is building in Poway and after a year, they still don't even have their permits!

Old 08-20-2020, 03:41 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandasand View Post
Thank you! I am familiar with this neighborhood, it is adjacent to I-15 and the homes are so small with no yards, so not a great value for our budget!
Most new construction is exactly this, unfortunately. Many new developments try to (1) maximize indoor square footage to justify high prices and (2) force outdoor space to be communal so it can be monetized as part of an HOA. Your best bet is to find a single house built on an infill lot or something older that has been substantially remodeled in the past X years. Keep in mind that newer construction is not designed to last, but remodeling newer construction should be easier. At least that Rancho Bernardo development doesn't have Mello-Roos.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:47 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Yep, RB or Poway are good choices.

I'm not sure if San Elijo Hills is built out yet, or not.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:20 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandasand View Post
I don't want to buy a lot and build a home at this time. It will take at least 2 years and we don't want to wait that long! My friend is building in Poway and after a year, they still don't even have their permits!
Didn't you used to live here? Serra Mesa wasn't it?

Old 08-20-2020, 10:21 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Didn't you used to live here? Serra Mesa wasn't it?
She still does, but now wants to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego