Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 09:23 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasen View Post
So I'm just worried. It looks like Easlake is the educated Hispanic groups - correct? If that's the case I'm less worried. The reason I ask about demographics changing is - for sure I'm thinking that if the community has good schools, more affordable housing, this will bring in more educated people from non-Hispanic backgrounds. What I'm asking is if that's happening - or not - and if not, why?

Honestly, I don't know. Eastlake was on our short list twenty years ago when we last moved. At the time we knew a few couples who lived there. Two were military/teachers and the other a fire fighter if that helps (which it probably doesn't given the sample size). All three were white couples. We decided that the big development, "master planned" communities weren't our thing before we settled on San Carlos. Those places seem so sterile and weird to us. I like older areas of the county though. We couldn't be happier with where we're at, especially the old school neighborhood vibe and kid-friendly nature we've got here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 01:41 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
The big challenge is really your $700k budget, which is high in many parts of the country but quite low in San Diego. I do like the Poway recommendation a lot, but even there, the budget is very tight.

I happen to live in a neighborhood with quite a few Indian neighbors, just south of Poway, and I know there's a big Indian grocery store down the hill on Miramar Rd, but the homes are not in that price range. However, you may consider the older parts of Scripps Ranch.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:48 AM

164 posts, read 168,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
The big challenge is really your $700k budget, which is high in many parts of the country but quite low in San Diego. I do like the Poway recommendation a lot, but even there, the budget is very tight.

I happen to live in a neighborhood with quite a few Indian neighbors, just south of Poway, and I know there's a big Indian grocery store down the hill on Miramar Rd, but the homes are not in that price range. However, you may consider the older parts of Scripps Ranch.
Yes, agreed. There is actually a sikh temple in Poway as well, on Oak Knoll Road, it's small. I drove the area in the evening (was trying to visit the temple, but they had no service that night).

Old 09-03-2020, 08:52 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
That isn't a "big yard..."

Nice place, but cramped.
Welcome to San Diego, first visit? J/K
Unless you buy in the really old Neighborhood here in San diego a 4500-7000 sq Lot is what you get

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
555k to 925k in 7 years- not too shabby.

There is 4 beds big yard and pool.
That's the crazy part. Even in the Before the crash in 2008 These homes were mid 400k range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Honestly, I don't know. Eastlake was on our short list twenty years ago when we last moved. At the time we knew a few couples who lived there. Two were military/teachers and the other a fire fighter if that helps (which it probably doesn't given the sample size). All three were white couples. We decided that the big development, "master planned" communities weren't our thing before we settled on San Carlos. Those places seem so sterile and weird to us. I like older areas of the county though. We couldn't be happier with where we're at, especially the old school neighborhood vibe and kid-friendly nature we've got here.
That is one of the reason i bought in La Mesa. La Mesa as a whole is still very Rural. I have almost every wild animal in my back yard you can think of.

Quote:

So funny you should mention this.
I was on the way to my sons Baseball game last when i ran into an old Friend. His Son Played Tennis for Scripps Ranch High School. I stop and his sons match and noticed, at lease 6 tennis players for Scripps Ranch Were of Southern Asian Decent.

Last edited by hitman619; 09-03-2020 at 09:17 AM..

Old 09-03-2020, 08:57 AM

164 posts, read 168,754 times
Quote:

Here's house here slightly above @725
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-57719?view=qv

Is there an issue with this house/location or street, anytone familiar?

This is the problem I had when I drove around in Poway last November, and looked at homes. I drove to the street, and looked at the neighborhood, and didn't even bother going in. The home was nicely done based on pics on the inside, but the neighborhood threw us off.

Maybe that's what you mean by having an issue with my price point in Poway?

Old 09-03-2020, 09:35 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Talking Hey, I'm new here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Welcome to San Diego, first visit? J/K
Unless you buy in the really old Neighborhood here in San diego a 4500-7000 sq Lot is what you getk
Yep, first visit...I guess I'm in a "old" hood.

(I do remember riding my bicycle on the house pads where I live now, in 1969...)

Old 09-03-2020, 10:04 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
If you live in, or have kids in SD Unified you will be facing what is called "CHOICE" where people apply to have their kids attend a school in what is usually a better area than their assigned area. There is no way around this besides private school (or out of SDU) which is what anyone that can afford to do does. It may a positive for the kids being bused but it really isn't for the local residents that either have to do the same or deal with what cards land that year for them. This is reality.

Here is an older article explaining.

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...ation%20busing.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:08 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasen View Post
Here's house here slightly above @725
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-57719?view=qv

Is there an issue with this house/location or street, anytone familiar?

This is the problem I had when I drove around in Poway last November, and looked at homes. I drove to the street, and looked at the neighborhood, and didn't even bother going in. The home was nicely done based on pics on the inside, but the neighborhood threw us off.

Maybe that's what you mean by having an issue with my price point in Poway?
See my previous post where I mention Garden Road.

It’s sounding like you want a new(er) house that now comes on a postage stamp sized lot, but on a lot from those built in the ‘60’s & ‘70’s? You really need to accept that at your price point you’re gonna be in an older neighborhood, which turns you off, or in a SFR that’s a glorified townhouse? There is no right or wrong answer?

My good friend and his wife bought around the same time my wife and I did a couple of years back. They got a new build in Chula Vista/Eastlake and brought us out to try to sell us on the community while it was being built. It was nice with a couple of community pools/parks, but there was no way I was going to have a backyard the size of a patio. Not only that, all the houses were two stories so you had zero privacy outside. At that point I’d just assume get a townhouse to save the money? We opted for a ranch built in the 1960’s with similar square footage, bed/bath, but with a lot over 2.5x the size. We also don’t have HOA’s or Mello-Roos.

It comes down to newer house vs outdoor space? The way I see it is you can remodel/rebuild, but you can’t add land.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:00 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If you live in, or have kids in SD Unified you will be facing what is called "CHOICE" where people apply to have their kids attend a school in what is usually a better area than their assigned area. There is no way around this besides private school (or out of SDU) which is what anyone that can afford to do does. It may a positive for the kids being bused but it really isn't for the local residents that either have to do the same or deal with what cards land that year for them. This is reality.

Our kids go to our neighborhood schools and we could afford private if we wanted. I wouldn't say it's a detriment to "better" schools to have those outside the area attending. It's a logistics thing too. Even that VoS article mentions that there simply isn't the capacity in the areas where they bring a lot of kids from, and would-be shortages where they end up. SDUSD is the second largest in the state too. There's lot's of kids to manage and distribute.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:26 AM

771 posts, read 835,900 times
I don't have school age kids but isn't there no busing in SDU district? OP, you're probably already aware of this, but seemed worth mentioning since so much of the country has district-provided busing K-12.

Also, Poway is inland enough that is gets much hotter than more coastal areas. I know you said weather was a major draw for contemplating a return to CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego