Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 05:23 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times

Advertisements

https://9to5mac.com/2022/08/01/apple...us-modem-work/

"At first, Apple planned to add 1,200 new jobs in San Diego for hardware and software engineering, but now that expectation is up to 5,000 by 2026."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 07:10 PM

136 posts, read 161,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
Apple is in San Diego because Qualcomm is here. Qualcomm is here because of the Navy. Apple and Samsung use modems and processors made by QC. They have been in a long running patent lawsuit that went all the way to the supreme court, but ultimately was settled. https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/27/2...ourt-5g-modems

Apple is increasingly moving to their own silicon. They were intel based up until just a few years ago and now they are ARM based and made by TMSC in Taiwan. Over the next decade or so Apple is going to do everything they can to poach or otherwise vacuum up the hardware and RF engineers from Qualcomm, who generally lay off senior engineers at a high rate. This is a big win for San Diego especially as office parks hollow out due to WFH.

This won't create a lot of high paying net new jobs, it will attract a lot of high salary RF engineers to either relocate here or stay here, the Navy is also one of the big employers who needs this capability so the workforce is essentially already here. This is the same thing that happened in Austin - Texas Instruments created the workforce, which then attracted many companies needing that expertise. Now TI is mostly irrelevant and Austin is a global tech hub. Qualcomm's investors have been pushing to split the technology design business from manufacturing - essentially the same thing that happened with TI and ARM.
I think this is correct re not alot of new jobs but instead poaching from QCOM. So it's a wash for the most part. However it will stem an exodus from the area, at least.

Don't forget that the Bay Area zip codes got smashed during the last RE downturn despite the tech-heavy population, so that demographic does not provide immunity to falling prices. We've got a long way to go to see how this RE price spike fiasco is going to play out.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCounselor View Post
I think this is correct re not alot of new jobs but instead poaching from QCOM. So it's a wash for the most part. However it will stem an exodus from the area, at least.

Don't forget that the Bay Area zip codes got smashed during the last RE downturn despite the tech-heavy population, so that demographic does not provide immunity to falling prices. We've got a long way to go to see how this RE price spike fiasco is going to play out.
The thing is the rental market is on fire. As long as that continues, there will be a lot of pressure on housing in general. The only thing they can build in San Diego is megabox crap-artments next to freeways and trolleys, and I think that whole thing is going to flop. No one wants to take the trolley and few will want to pay 2250 for a 1BR with a view of cars speeding by.

Old 08-16-2022, 12:20 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
The thing is the rental market is on fire. As long as that continues, there will be a lot of pressure on housing in general. The only thing they can build in San Diego is megabox crap-artments next to freeways and trolleys, and I think that whole thing is going to flop. No one wants to take the trolley and few will want to pay 2250 for a 1BR with a view of cars speeding by.
This
But also keep in mind that, Someone born In Kansas or Missouri, living by the Trolley here in San Diego is Heaven.

Last edited by hitman619; 08-16-2022 at 01:01 PM..

Old 08-16-2022, 12:26 PM

136 posts, read 161,771 times
Yes rents have really spiked (just like the cost of everything else). Egregiously high housing costs be it mtg pmts or rent is both a barrier to entry and a driving force to relo out of the area. I watched the grind of high housing costs result in an exodus of friends earlier this century during the bubble and bubble-pop era. It tooks years for the grind to wear them down into pulling the plug. I'm looking at 2024-2025 time frame to see what the rent and home price trend lines look like.

Old 08-26-2022, 07:36 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Quote:
essentially the same thing that happened with TI and ARM.
Is TI the Texas Instruments I used to work for in Dallas back in the 80s? The ticker symbol for Texas Instruments is TXN. What's ARM?

Old 08-27-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Is TI the Texas Instruments I used to work for in Dallas back in the 80s? The ticker symbol for Texas Instruments is TXN. What's ARM?
Yes Texas Instruments. ARM is the license holder of the RISC processor architecture that is a low power alternative to Intel x86

Old 08-27-2022, 01:55 PM

89 posts, read 63,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
ARM is a British company that designs and licenses out processor cores to chip and FPGA manufactures. I've worked with integrating some of their cores into chip designs.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:52 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Quote:
Yes Texas Instruments. ARM is the license holder of the RISC processor architecture that is a low power alternative to Intel x86
TI was a monster size company when I worked there. Something like 250k employees worldwide. I just checked and TI is down to 29k employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego