Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 01:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,984 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a house and Linda Vista's homes are on average $50k+ cheaper than Clairemont looking at comps.

I'm aware of Linda Vista's past and present reputation. People seem to have been saying it's next for gentrification for the past decade but for some reason it just hasn't happened despite it's great location central to the city and access to 4 major freeways.

Do any of you live there now or frequent the neighborhood? Do you see it beginning to turn towards a better direction? Is it stagnating? I feel like surely, it must start to turn the corner because of the prices but people have been saying that for years now and it hasn't whereas all the neighborhoods south of the 8, La Mesa, Escondido, San Marcos, etc have done well.

The area I'm looking at specifically is south Linda Vista, 1 mile from USD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 11:01 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
My theory on gentrification - a place only improves if the housing stock supports it. Otherwise the area might improve for it's residents but wont attract any wealthy new ones. For example, North and South Park is full of historic homes but. City Heights is not. City Heights has improved somewhat but not gentrified. Normal Heights, North Park, and even Clairemont has a lot of marginal areas with no real location or built environment advantage to make them attractive to a would-be gentrifier. Linda Vista, has no attractive housing stock. It is a low income area with entry level housing and a lot of poorly constructed high density apartments. 10% price discount isn't enough to attract anyone who can afford it. I can see it improving for the locals that live there, but it would basically need to be torn down and rebuilt in order for anyone with money to really consider it. In the early 2000's Logan Heights seemed poised to improve but it's actually much worse today than it was back then. See also greater Golden Hill, Sherman Heights, City Heights, Mira Mesa as similar examples. On paper they should be improving , but reality is, they are pretty much stuck where they were 10 years ago.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:25 PM

37 posts, read 122,529 times
Linda Vista is super central location... close to Fashion Valley / Mission Valley and all of the freeways.

Close to the beach too and some beautiful canyons.

Lots of nice restaurants nearby too and not overpriced. I think there is a lot of potential.

Old 03-31-2021, 03:09 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
My theory on gentrification - a place only improves if the housing stock supports it. Otherwise the area might improve for it's residents but wont attract any wealthy new ones. For example, North and South Park is full of historic homes but. City Heights is not. City Heights has improved somewhat but not gentrified. Normal Heights, North Park, and even Clairemont has a lot of marginal areas with no real location or built environment advantage to make them attractive to a would-be gentrifier. Linda Vista, has no attractive housing stock. It is a low income area with entry level housing and a lot of poorly constructed high density apartments. 10% price discount isn't enough to attract anyone who can afford it. I can see it improving for the locals that live there, but it would basically need to be torn down and rebuilt in order for anyone with money to really consider it. In the early 2000's Logan Heights seemed poised to improve but it's actually much worse today than it was back then. See also greater Golden Hill, Sherman Heights, City Heights, Mira Mesa as similar examples. On paper they should be improving , but reality is, they are pretty much stuck where they were 10 years ago.
My take on gentrification in San Diego... When things gentrify, they get more expensive, but almost never get "nicer". Your take above is pretty spot on.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:37 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Linda Vista. Stay away from the area near the main shopping center if you are house hunting. Look to the West on the canyon rims or down as close to Friars as possible. There are plenty of million dollar homes close to USD that have a Linda Vista zip. It's light years from what it used to be when it was gang bang central.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:25 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
In the early 2000's Logan Heights seemed poised to improve but it's actually much worse today than it was back then. See also greater Golden Hill, Sherman Heights, City Heights, Mira Mesa as similar examples. On paper they should be improving , but reality is, they are pretty much stuck where they were 10 years ago.
You don't think Barrio Logan has gotten better over the years? On Logan Ave, there's Salud and a few other places worth checking out. I'm still confused as to why Golden Hill and Sherman Heights haven't taken off after all of these years..... good housing stock, views, great location, etc. I do know the planes fly overhead, so maybe that's it.

They're starting to spruce up the western side of National City, and I wonder if hipsters will ever make their way south one day.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
You don't think Barrio Logan has gotten better over the years? On Logan Ave, there's Salud and a few other places worth checking out. I'm still confused as to why Golden Hill and Sherman Heights haven't taken off after all of these years..... good housing stock, views, great location, etc. I do know the planes fly overhead, so maybe that's it.

They're starting to spruce up the western side of National City, and I wonder if hipsters will ever make their way south one day.
I don't think that restaurants a good indicator that an area is improving. Barrio Logan is one of those places developers think they can bulldoze and start over with. I don't see any of that as healthy or valuable to the city or the neighborhood.

Sherman Heights and Golden Hill have a couple of pesky near-permanent problems that I think are going to hold them back for a really long time:
1- homeless
2- halfway houses
3- a lot of marginal housing, especially high density low income apartments.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:56 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
I don't think that restaurants a good indicator that an area is improving. Barrio Logan is one of those places developers think they can bulldoze and start over with. I don't see any of that as healthy or valuable to the city or the neighborhood.

Sherman Heights and Golden Hill have a couple of pesky near-permanent problems that I think are going to hold them back for a really long time:
1- homeless
2- halfway houses
3- a lot of marginal housing, especially high density low income apartments.
What do you think is holding Clairemont back?

Old 04-04-2021, 01:33 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
My block has an average home price of 1 million now so I don't think Clairemont is being held back at all. Even E Clairemont is pushing 700K for a sfh.

Old 04-04-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Nothing, the areas that have gentrified already have, whats left is just overpriced and no one is rushing in to buy those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego