Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 05:16 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,460,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Back in the day, Tijuana may not have had more crime, but it was more of a dump than it is today

True, but in a way it was more charming because of it and I actually mean that. The whole cross-border region should be a part of this thread's evaluation.

I'd say that pre-NAFTA/post-NAFTA defines the two contemporary eras of TJ best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2023, 07:40 PM

6,511 posts, read 7,549,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Filippi's is fine but it sometimes matters which one you go to. They're not all the same like McDonald's.
True, I've never liked my closest Filipi's in Santee but I do enjoy the Little Italy location and the one on Friars Road in Grantville?

Old 09-10-2023, 10:51 PM

50,356 posts, read 47,109,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
True, but in a way it was more charming because of it and I actually mean that. The whole cross-border region should be a part of this thread's evaluation.

I'd say that pre-NAFTA/post-NAFTA defines the two contemporary eras of TJ best.
There is a reason the military won't let troops go down now.

Old 09-11-2023, 06:41 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,809,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
It's definitely a question of personal preference. I also don't like Chicago pizza. To me, it's like a weird Pizza shaped casserole. New York Pizza is the style I like the best by far, so I will always gravitate to those types of pies. Filippis just isn't my thing, not sure what style of pizza you would call it, but obviously it's very popular with a lot of people. I just wouldn't say it's the only pizza place worth going to in the region, because it is so subjective.
San Diegans don’t know what good pizza is.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:48 PM

50,356 posts, read 47,109,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
San Diegans don’t know what good pizza is.
True, and the East Coast doesn't know what a Carne Asada burrito is supposed to taste like. Or hot sauce.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:59 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,493,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
True, and the East Coast doesn't know what a Carne Asada burrito is supposed to taste like. Or hot sauce.
San Diego has adopted good Italian food at a much higher rate than NY has adopted So-Cal MX burritos... you have to go to Manhattan to get one. I think someone finally brought the CA burrito to NYC. Meanwhile, really good Italian food in SD is now everywhere. Not so in the 90's!

Old 09-12-2023, 06:26 AM

10,317 posts, read 6,871,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
San Diego has adopted good Italian food at a much higher rate than NY has adopted So-Cal MX burritos... you have to go to Manhattan to get one. I think someone finally brought the CA burrito to NYC. Meanwhile, really good Italian food in SD is now everywhere. Not so in the 90's!
Had dinner @ Solaré on Sunday.

The pescanté seemed ok.

The Michelin folks seemed to think so, too.

Now, about the East Coast and their viewpoint of "quality" Mexican food...

I spent some time in upstate NY/Vermont, back in the 1980's. Their version of "awesome" Mexican food was....

wait for it.....

Taco Bell

Old 09-12-2023, 09:42 AM

5,750 posts, read 4,711,382 times
It's hard for me to wrap my head around upscale Mexican food.

Family wanted to eat at Javier's recently while shopping at UTC.

We all got tacos. Also ordered an app, and wife and I got a margarita.

Food was very good, but the bill $400. For tacos. For lunch. WTF.

Old 09-12-2023, 10:32 AM

6,511 posts, read 7,549,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
It's hard for me to wrap my head around upscale Mexican food.

Family wanted to eat at Javier's recently while shopping at UTC.

We all got tacos. Also ordered an app, and wife and I got a margarita.

Food was very good, but the bill $400. For tacos. For lunch. WTF.
Yup, even a meal as "luxurious" as lobster in American eyes is humbled down in Baja as it is served with rice, beans and tortilla. I don't do "upscale Mexican" in the states for the same reason but I will eat at an upscale Mexican restaurant in Mexico.

Old 09-12-2023, 11:08 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,460,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
Meanwhile, really good Italian food in SD is now everywhere. Not so in the 90's!

What would you consider "really good"?

The way I judge so-called Italian food is mainly on two dishes: Ravioli and manicotti, plus the tomato sauce should be cooked down and lean slightly bitter, not sweet. Ravioli that isn't handmade is going to be garbage so that part is non-negotiable. As for manicotti, most places skip it and very few do it right. The premade stuff is easy to spot because the ricotta will always be practically liquid and gross. Real manicotti should have a fluffy filling and the shell should be al dente. Sauce should be simple and at least as good as mine.

And again, I insist pizza is in a different league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego