Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:17 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,744,290 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you had a good visit, and have gotten some good feedback from others here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcdm View Post
Water Temp-I would agree with the posters here that say that there are probably only 1-2 months that you can actually venture into the ocean. We have been to Hawaii a couple times and the water temp is no where like that. Last Saturday we went to Ocean Beach & about 7PM most of the people that were in the water were wearing wet suits due to the cold. In Illinois our 100 degrees do heat up the water around here, but then again that is only for 3 months out of the year.
I'd say it's possible to swim in the ocean without wetsuits from about early July to mid September (longer if we have an El Nino year). Last week, the ocean cooled down alot due to upwelling, but it's back into the low 70's again today.

As for surface temps, it's true that the rule of thumb is to add a degree for every mile you move away from the ocean. Those 78 degrees highs you experienced while here, were mid-80's further inland where I live, with with little or no marine layer. I will say that the marine layer has been more persistant this Summer compared to last year.

FYI - I compared the official daily highs and lows so far this month in Chicago and the area of San Diego where I live, and saw that it's only been slightly warmer there during the day, and actually warmer here at night. Guess you haven't had any big heatwaves so far this year. Probably a good thing.

Good luck on your plans

Last edited by sdurbanite; 08-19-2008 at 08:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 PM

16 posts, read 55,579 times
You are correct, we get spoiled here in the summer when it does get 90-100 it heats our pools up in the mid to high 80's. This year we have not had 1 day over 90, therefor our water temps have been mid to high 70's. Which is cold to most here. I was in the ocean over the weekend while out there and there were people in there playing like it's nothing. And I was like this is damn cold....................................

Old 08-19-2008, 08:37 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,483,895 times
If you go 5 mile south of Chula Vista, you will find even cheaper newer homes in the Ocean View Hills Area. And if you go West of there, older homes with amazing views can be found, in zip 92154, where gas was $3.73 today, and you can buy cereal cheap at local Costco (and gas).

Also, the climate is very similar to beach climate.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:37 AM

8 posts, read 18,633 times
Thanks for posting bbcdm, my husband and I are in a similar situation. We live in Columbus, Ohio and want to move to San Diego. If everything goes as planned, hopefully we'll be in San Diego in a year.

Anyway, your information was very helpful and answered some of the questions that I had (i.e., cost of car insurance, inland temperature, etc.). Thank you.

Also, I have a couple more questions about living in San Diego. I've always heard that California is a leader in developing environmentally conscious practices. Is this reflected in the city of San Diego is as well? Where I live now, doing anything you can to be "green" is important as well as buying locally, grown produce, etc. Is this also popular in San Diego? Is recycling mandatory?

Thanks in advance! Also, best wishes bbcdm.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:41 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
If you go 5 mile south of Chula Vista, you will find even cheaper newer homes in the Ocean View Hills Area. And if you go West of there, older homes with amazing views can be found, in zip 92154, where gas was $3.73 today, and you can buy cereal cheap at local Costco (and gas).
Isn't that San Ysidro schools though? If so it's cheap for a reason, those are some of the worst schools in San Diego County.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,917 times
Clairemont is a very nice place for families to live, but I can't speak about the schools there.

The single family homes were mostly built in the early 1960s, so they are older, but still livable. Depending on the particular street, you may find a lot of very nice, well kept homes, or you may find several run down homes that could use a gardener and some home repair.

The best thing about Clairemont is it's location. It is just a short drive to Mission Bay, the beaches, Mission Valley (for shopping malls), downtown, Balboa Park, the Zoo, La Jolla, and lots of other great stuff.

The temperature in Clairemont is very comfortable all year round. I never need to use heat or A/C. A fan is enough.

There are a few recommended sections of Clairemont, such as the "Mount Street" area located SW of Balboa Ave and Genesee Ave. All the streets are named "Mt. XXXXXX", such as "Mt. Everest". It is right next to Tecolote Canyon.

There are also areas to avoid living in Clairemont, such as Beadnell Ave, which is one street north of Balboa Ave. It's filled with apartment complexes, and sometimes noisy neighbors.

To save money on food, I check the weekly grocery store ads (delivered in the mail), and shop at stores like Food4Less and Ralphs, which usually have the best prices. You'd be surprised at how much you can save by viewing these ads each week. There is also a great discount chain called 99 Cent Only stores which sells food and other products. I save a lot by shoping there as well. Big Lots is another good place to save money on food.

For car insurance, I use State Farm, and my price in San Diego is about the same as when I lived on the east coast. I have an excellent driving record, so that helps a lot with my rate.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirge85 View Post
Thanks for posting bbcdm, my husband and I are in a similar situation. We live in Columbus, Ohio and want to move to San Diego. If everything goes as planned, hopefully we'll be in San Diego in a year.

Anyway, your information was very helpful and answered some of the questions that I had (i.e., cost of car insurance, inland temperature, etc.). Thank you.

Also, I have a couple more questions about living in San Diego. I've always heard that California is a leader in developing environmentally conscious practices. Is this reflected in the city of San Diego is as well? Where I live now, doing anything you can to be "green" is important as well as buying locally, grown produce, etc. Is this also popular in San Diego? Is recycling mandatory?

Thanks in advance! Also, best wishes bbcdm.
No problem dirge85. I have to thank all those who post in this forum. I had read many many posts before our trip out. I wanted to make sure that I read enough before going out that would be beneficial while we were there. Now we just have to put the pencil to everything to see if we can get it to work out...................

Old 08-20-2008, 02:21 PM

Another thing. My brother in law drove down from LA to meet us on Sunday, and he was amazed in how clean the air is in San Diego vs. LA.
Is there any particular reason there is such a difference besides fewer vehicles?

Old 08-20-2008, 02:28 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
Quote:
Another thing. My brother in law drove down from LA to meet us on Sunday, and he was amazed in how clean the air is in San Diego vs. LA.
Is there any particular reason there is such a difference besides fewer vehicles?
the LA basin is much larger and it's eastern mountains are much higher.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:53 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,744,290 times
Quote:
I was in the ocean over the weekend while out there and there were people in there playing like it's nothing. And I was like this is damn cold....................................
Believe me, you get used to it and eventually it will start to feel warm. Cooler water and fighting the crashing waves is good for the circulation and makes you feel alive. In Florida, where the water is much warmer, it's more of a relaxing and soothing feel - boring if you ask me. The ocean also seems to be warmer from La Jolla Cove all the way up to Oceanside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirge85
Recycling in SD is alive and well. There was a recent article in the NY Times that ranked SD 5th for recycling, among the 15 largest cities. Link to article and table:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/us...e2d&ei=5087%0A

And buying local? With our extended growing season, there are plenty of certified Farmer's Markets scattered around the metro to choose from. Here's a great link to check out:

San Diego Farm Bureau

Last edited by sdurbanite; 08-20-2008 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego