Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 06:28 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
... demand a response from our useless city and state government.
Heck, they like to hang out at Civic Center right at the foot of City Hall. So many bums in all corners of the County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:49 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,894,642 times
The homeless used to hang out at the Mission Valley library all day to the point where most of the seats in the reading room were occupied by them. The library finally hired a security guard and the situation has finally improved.

There are also sections of the Mission Valley river walk where hookers take their Johns through the brush down to the river bank to do their business and collect their drug money.

In the past there was also a problem at the Ralphs on Friars Rd with very aggressive panhandlers and scam artists. People asking for lunch money. Variations of the broken down auto scam. Being approached by someone who says their water pump went out or they have a dead battery and can't get out of the parking lot until someone gives then some cash to call a tow truck. The local merchants now have hired more security and resolved most of the problems.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:49 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
The Mission Valley library, along with the others have had security guard for years. That also goes for Friars Mission Center where Ralph's is. It's nothing new, and when they get off duty, the problems are back. And the security company wasn't hired by the local merchants, the company is contracted and paid for by the property management company (Regents, and the property manager is Steve).

Old 05-15-2015, 11:18 PM

67 posts, read 125,212 times
While home shopping in OB I parked my car near Fruede street and walked down the hill to Newport and sunset cliffs. Got down near the pier and walked on Newport and ate at a restaurant outside and was asked for money about 5 times - while eating at a restaurant, walking around and by the pier, the last of which were very aggressive. Ultimately I decided against OB to buy a house. It wasn't the only factor, but it definitely played a part. I don't mind homeless, heck if I was homeless San Diego is probably where I'd want to be too. But bothering people while they eat (and for money not food) and being aggressive while demanding money is not something I'd want to deal with on a daily basis.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:01 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdegallardo View Post
While home shopping in OB I parked my car near Fruede street and walked down the hill to Newport and sunset cliffs. Got down near the pier and walked on Newport and ate at a restaurant outside and was asked for money about 5 times - while eating at a restaurant, walking around and by the pier, the last of which were very aggressive. Ultimately I decided against OB to buy a house. It wasn't the only factor, but it definitely played a part. I don't mind homeless, heck if I was homeless San Diego is probably where I'd want to be too. But bothering people while they eat (and for money not food) and being aggressive while demanding money is not something I'd want to deal with on a daily basis.
OB has had a reputation for that for some time. I was with my family eating at S beach and we went over to see if they (fishermen) had any reports of grunion running. We were surrounded by a bunch of punks all demanding money and we had to bluff our way outta there letting them know we only had plastic. I literally had my knife folded in one hand looking over my shoulder. No more for me. My kids were extremely scared.

That type of "transient" is no more than a pack of wolves.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:49 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
OB has had a reputation for that for some time. I was with my family eating at S beach and we went over to see if they (fishermen) had any reports of grunion running. We were surrounded by a bunch of punks all demanding money and we had to bluff our way outta there letting them know we only had plastic. I literally had my knife folded in one hand looking over my shoulder. No more for me. My kids were extremely scared.

That type of "transient" is no more than a pack of wolves.

The first time I went to Ocean Beach, wow, riding my bike out there, it was so beautiful.

But when I got to the actual beach area it was a little shocking, grimy vagrants all over the place, some of them looking kinda seedy and dangerous.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:13 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
In the 80s and 90s OB was a cool place, as most are if you are young and single, especially male. Things change when you are responsible for others. The homeless problem is just that, a problem.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 894 times
I've been there I was almost accosted in the entrance of the place by another homeless person you are right it is a good meal but the place is crazy and very unsafe for anyone who dose not do drugs or are 5150. I would not tell my worst enemy to go down there. But you have worked there so I know you are aware of this. I am homeless and I am NOT a Scam Artist Sir !!! I work as I can in North County but My biggest point here I guess should be that EVERYONE should have the fundamental RIGHT to ask for Help !! If you don't like it or whatever you don't have to contribute no one is holding a gun to your head. I am NOT aggressive and I am honestly Thankful for any and all help I receive I am 52 Yrs old I have no family to count on it is just me. I have been homeless ON and Off for 16 yrs. I was not homeless in other states when I was working although here I couldn't afford the rent if I had three job's and be able to live ALONE. I could get off the streets if I choose to live with other people but in my opinion A person in this Country SHOULD be able to pay Bill's,Rent,Gas on a single Income and not be forced to live with others if they chose not to ON ONE INCOME. At any rate I'm sure you have your reasons for not wanting to help people I do agnolage there are those that are scammers when I find one I run him/her out . This is such a troubling and deep subject with to meany angles to cover I stopped Drinking and cleaned myself up 6 yrs ago I don't Steel from anyone or Stores I Obey Laws like anyone else or I would be locked up. I try to provide for myself and help others as I can also. I'm just trying to show people that not all Homeless people are deuce bags or Scam Artist's !! I came to San Diego for the weather I will admit. If for the sake of argument YOU became homeless wouldn't you go to a place that had good weather? Well this is a lot longer then I wanted to go here but I feel like you must have a warped view if you think it is a good Idea to go downtown San Diego

Old 02-07-2016, 01:13 AM

249 posts, read 283,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilirosie View Post
just don't get it. I'm a 27yr old single white female who doesn't qualify for those government aids. I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING. I have half an (haven't finished college yet, ran out of money, pell grants etc don't cover it) education so for the jobs like 7-11 tell me I'm either over experienced and don't want to hire someone who will just up and leave when a better job comes along, so they go with the GED go getter who will (I guess) appreciate the job more. Then there are the jobs that you need an education for and how many people are out there looking and fighting for that same position. I call anywhere between 10-25 people a day looking for a job. I can't find one. I have no family here and I have a dog that I feel protects me when I have no where to stay or when I have to stay in my car. And my unemployment has ran out completely. I am poor and homeless, and clean and sober. Never had a substance problem, never will. I have a good head on my shoulders. I'm just lookin for a break. You don't think I want clean fingernails and 600 thread count sheets. Well for now until I finally land a job I'm going to have to throw my hand out there. Sorry. It's the way it happened.

What does being a white female have to do with it? Do you feel inclined or privileged to receive assistance over minorities because of your skin tone? Plenty of jobs in America walk into any fast food retail store office Hospital these places are hiring all jobs. Don't make excuses of why you can't get a job blaming everyone else

Old 02-07-2016, 10:04 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercad55 View Post
What does being a white female have to do with it? Do you feel inclined or privileged to receive assistance over minorities because of your skin tone? Plenty of jobs in America walk into any fast food retail store office Hospital these places are hiring all jobs. Don't make excuses of why you can't get a job blaming everyone else
The poster that you'retreplying to one was a one post wonder. She posted only one time on 10/26/2009. I should hope that she's gotten her act together by now.

Last edited by moved; 02-07-2016 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego