Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 13,660 times

Advertisements

I am asking for a comparison on the living environment in La Jolla, Coronado, Manhattan Beach, Newport, and Laguna.

I would also like to know whether PB/OB are like these above areas? I heard it was full of young drinkers and partiers, no?

Thanks a ton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrj900 View Post
I am asking for a comparison on the living environment in La Jolla, Coronado, Manhattan Beach, Newport, and Laguna.

I would also like to know whether PB/OB are like these above areas? I heard it was full of young drinkers and partiers, no?

Thanks a ton
PB/MB are primarily apartment rental areas with small contingents of "house-rich" middle class and a few upper class. They are not comparable to any of the other areas you have mentioned.

La Jolla - Large Village environment, well-established wealthy older homeowner population, younger condo population as well. Shares city of SD's services.

Coronado - smaller commercial Village environment, well-established wealthy older homeowner population, less condos, many ex-military retirees, transient/commuter naval base population. A separate city from San Diego with it's own services.

Manhattan Beach - Ultra-wealthy, dense, urban professionals, lots of condos, built out wall-to-wall

Newport Beach - Ultra-wealthy, less dense than LA Beach cities, more detached homes, up up upscale, some areas are pretty wall-to-wall at this point

Laguna Beach - Still wealthy but more mixed than Newport, even less density, charming village and hillside setting

If I could afford it, I would choose Laguna Beach or La Jolla, Coronado a close contender. Laguna is the best of both worlds, charming but not crowded. La Jolla is more contiguous with San Diego which leads to some traffic / noise in the Village and close-in neighborhoods. Coronado is great but a little isolated and has lots of military aviation nearby which means noise, as well as lots of active duty military which may be good or bad depending on your viewpoint. Manhattan and Newport are too crowded / trendy / life in the fast lane. If I had to pick an LA beach city and money was no object it would be Malibu, Redondo, RPV instead. I am also a big fan of San Clemente which is kind of far away from everything, unfortunately.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:01 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
PB/MB are primarily apartment rental areas with small contingents of "house-rich" middle class and a few upper class. They are not comparable to any of the other areas you have mentioned.

La Jolla - Large Village environment, well-established wealthy older homeowner population, younger condo population as well. Shares city of SD's services.

Coronado - smaller commercial Village environment, well-established wealthy older homeowner population, less condos, many ex-military retirees, transient/commuter naval base population. A separate city from San Diego with it's own services.

Manhattan Beach - Ultra-wealthy, dense, urban professionals, lots of condos, built out wall-to-wall

Newport Beach - Ultra-wealthy, less dense than LA Beach cities, more detached homes, up up upscale, some areas are pretty wall-to-wall at this point

Laguna Beach - Still wealthy but more mixed than Newport, even less density, charming village and hillside setting

If I could afford it, I would choose Laguna Beach or La Jolla, Coronado a close contender. Laguna is the best of both worlds, charming but not crowded. La Jolla is more contiguous with San Diego which leads to some traffic / noise in the Village and close-in neighborhoods. Coronado is great but a little isolated and has lots of military aviation nearby which means noise, as well as lots of active duty military which may be good or bad depending on your viewpoint. Manhattan and Newport are too crowded / trendy / life in the fast lane. If I had to pick an LA beach city and money was no object it would be Malibu, Redondo, RPV instead. I am also a big fan of San Clemente which is kind of far away from everything, unfortunately.
I think you summed it up nicely comparing beach cities. Coronado is less attractive, in my opinion because it is flat & the beaches don't have good waves [probably due to jetties].

Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,556 times
Coronado didn't seem too isolated because of the close view of downtown. I find that it's a relaxing place to take in a meal or a walk. That Greek place there is nice. But the police seem very repressive...I don't like the way they tried to handle a grunge teen who was clearly minding his own business but sitting on a sidewalk (those things must be owned by the rich ex-military brass there?). Surprisingly, Coronado parking is easier to access by SoCal standards.

La Jolla is OK because it's in the San Diego city limits. It's a more vibrant place for a little nightlife or early evening hot chocolate. The view is more dramatic than Coronado.

Newport Beach seems more open compared to La Jolla and Coronado. It didn't look quite as upscale though. But I liked walking around Newport Beach.

Mission Beach. Quite artsier than Pacific Beach. Interesting compact layout.

Pacific Beach. Melrose on the beach. Beach bums out the a--. People throw their cigs on the beach...just an abused beach by all the cowabunga bums. But the nightlife is cool. Fratboy and military boy cool, that is. A few young chicks for drawing power but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego