Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 06:09 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,374 times

Advertisements

so i want a list of the best places to eat in san diego.
I for one am a huge fan of the california burrito and JV's taco shop has the best i could ask for. HUGE, FRESH, and reg price!
i love any kind of food
post some if u have some to share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 PM

858 posts, read 2,235,945 times
Santana's-best chain Mexican food: Carne Asada burrito under $5 bucks
K-Sandwiches in Kearny Mesa: Vietnamese sandwiches under $3 bucks
Sieu Sieu BBQ in Kearny Mesa: BBQ pork with rice around $6 bucks, cheap but good
Minh Ky Restaurant in City Heights: Awesome noodle soup uner $5 bucks

That's all I can think of for now.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:12 PM

171 posts, read 588,254 times
Chinese
Dumpling Inn - 4619 Convoy St, Kearny Mesa

Awesome food on the cheap. The place is tiny, but it has a very loyal following. It is located in the same asian shopping center as Jasmine. They have an extensive list of chinese specialties and a variety of dumplings. I recommend the Xiao Long Bao (Shanghai Soup Dumplings). They are dumplings filled with soup and pork. Also the kung pao sea bass was excellent.

Ba Ren Szechuan - 4957 Diane Ave, Clairemont

If you are in the mood for authentic szechuan (and very spicy!!!), this is the place. There is an english menu, but I think it is only 1 page long. The chinese menu is several pages long and there is also a specials menu in chinese. Bring a chinese friend if you can or just take a chance. We went one time and told them to make us whatever and we just told them what we didn't want.

Indian

Himalayan Cuisine-Indian and Italian food 7918 El Cajon Boulevard, La Mesa

Thats right...Indian AND Italian. I thought it couldn't be any good because...well...Thats like buying mexican and chinese in the same restaurant.

They have very authentic curries and the italian food is surprisingly good. The dough they use for the naan bread is also used for pizzas and calzones.

Worth a visit for the "Huh?" factor.

Greasy Spoon

Golden Phenix 3804 Grim Ave, North Park

Lucky runs this place. He is a one man show. Host, Waiter, Cook, Busboy. He has been open since the 70s and it used to be a chinese restaurant. Now they serve consistent breakfast food, but kept the chinese decor. The food is not world class, but it is very cheap and an excellent value. You get fortune cookies at the end too!

Taco shop

Tacos El Gordo De Tijuana 689 H St, Chula Vista

Now I know people have their own choice of taco shops and it is a very personal decision. The original El Gordo is in Tijuana. This location is right off of the 5. It is right next to a gas station and across the street from a 7-11

The food is sublime. The carne asada and adobada are great, but the real star here is the lengua (tongue) and the cabeza (beef cheeks). Sounds strange, but they are great. Tongue has a real beefy flavor and the beef cheeks are like the most tender pot roast you've ever had. Really great.

On the downside they mostly only sell tacos. They sell quesadillas, sopes, and tostadas, but their main business it tacos just like in TJ!!

I hope you like these recommendations, they are all over the city and some are off the beaten path, but I don't like going to chains or places that seem too massed produced. These are great local businesses that do what they do best!

Old 12-16-2008, 06:44 AM

4 posts, read 20,912 times
CHOPSTIX in kearney mesa is great.

Joe Casey
San-diego-insurance.com

Old 12-16-2008, 11:30 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,172 times
for good burgers try hodads

Old 12-16-2008, 11:32 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
I like the Old Spaghetti Factory.
I get the extra serving so I have leftovers.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:21 PM

258 posts, read 1,650,522 times
If you are looking for a place with good Mexican food that is inexpensive
try Sombreros.

They have several locations around the City and suburbs.

check out this website : www.sombreromex.com/

You won't be sorry !

Old 12-16-2008, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 41,331 times
Pocos Tacos!!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:35 PM

63 posts, read 283,378 times
Point Loma Seafood.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:20 AM

204 posts, read 641,776 times
Default Chicken Pie Shop

in North Park. I like the Chicken Pie dinner where you get a chicken pot pie, mashed potatoes, vegetable and pie, all for around 6 bucks. True comfort food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego